Video: Jake Cody Bets Entire $60K Tournament Win on Roulette Spin

February 26th, 2018 by Daniel Smyth

Poker pro Jake Cody has taken the word gamble to a new level after putting his entire tournament win on a single roulette bet.

Jake Cody

Jake Cody used a dose of ru good to parlay his tournament win into roulette success at Partypoker’s UK Poker Championship. (Image: PokerStars)

Following the conclusion of the £2,220 ($3,000) high roller at the Partypoker Live UK Poker Championships at the Dusk Till Dawn casino in Nottingham, England, Cody decided to take his first-place prize money to the roulette table.

Spurred on by his friends, Cody cleared the bet with Dusk Till Dawn owner and fellow poker player Rob Yong before putting his chips down.

Players Stop and Stare

Surrounded by supporters, Cody wagered his £42,670 ($59,992) winnings on black and watched as Yong took charge of the wheel. As cameras and faces fixated on the game, Cody flashed smile to the heavens before looking down in anticipation.

After bobbling to a stop, the steel ball settled on black 22 (as you can see in the video below). Within a split-second of realizing what had happened, Cody and those around him exploded into a cheer as the croupier pushed $119,984 towards the poker player.

During his career, the Englishman has banked more than $4.4 million in live tournaments and $600,000+ online. His breakout moment in poker came back in 2010 when he took down the European Poker Tour (EPT) Deauville main event title.

That early win not only catapulted Cody into the spotlight but earned him a career-high win worth $1.2 million. Since that maiden victory, Cody has completed the coveted tournament Triple Crown, winning a World Poker Tour (WPT) title and a World Series of Poker (WSOP) bracelet.

Right Move, Right Time

The latest haul is far from Cody’s largest, but it’s certainly one of his most impressive. Moreover, it could be the pro’s most important. According to a video blog posted a few days after his win, Cody explained that the latest six months have seen him undergo a number of life changes.

Detailing his current situations, Cody discussed the ups and downs he’s experienced since a vlog he recorded nine months ago in Amsterdam. In describing a tricky breakup that took place at the end of 2016, the tournament champ said that he didn’t handle things well and that caused him to go AWOL.

“Maybe it was mild depression, maybe it was full blow. I don’t know how to gauge it. I wasn’t in a good place, so it was super hard to make videos when you’re in that state of mind. It was super hard to do anything,” Cody admitted in his vlog.

Essentially, after a lot of soul searching, he managed to work through his issues. Off the back of his attitude improving, some upswings in Macau have put his bankroll in a healthy place and that’s allowed him to start enjoying poker again.

12 Responses to “Double or Nothing? Video Shows Jake Cody Betting Entire $60K Tourney Win on Roulette Spin”

1. ZARGA123 says:

That’s gambling and playing luck it made me remeber Jason Statham at Wild Card

2. CRStals says:

There’s no question that poker players are gamblers at heart, despite the fact most will argue that poker is a skill game, and not a pure game of chance.

So to see someone win a tournament, and then take all of the winnings to essentially flip a coin to double their money is not a shock. Poker players are accustomed to races on the poker table to win hands. The absolutely crazy part though is to do it for such a large amount of money, directly after the win.

What I’m most curious about is who spun the wheel? It didn’t look like a casino employee did – although the video wasn’t the clearest – but good for Jake to double his money and not lose it all so fast.

Some online sites offer double or nothing on wins – question is was the thrill worth the $60k?

3. malakata19 says:

The truth is that it was a very valuable bet, because after the hours invested to win a tournament of that nature and bet everything in one shot … you have to have a lot of courage and heart.

I see that some poker players are also gamblers but in my opinion it is a bad combination given the circumstances of each game. In one you invest a lot of time and money to achieve what you want and with dedication, study and the rest you can get … I talk about poker; but when it comes to betting the crashes are quite difficult to deal with compared to poker because as in only one bet could have lost everything. It’s good that I win but I should balance those bets a bit.

4. RidersFan says:

Jake Cody is a sicko and this proves it. It also shows that Jake’s rungood isn’t just limited to poker but extends to any situation involving coin flips. I have been watching Pokerstars cash challenge and Jake Cody has been running exactly as you would expect, which is unfair when he is also playing very well. That’s a hard combo to beat.

5. jhunnyorcruz says:

I wouldn’t do what he did, fortunately for him it worked. If I had worked a week to win $60K, including an initial cash investment, I am not so sure I could lay it all down on one less than 50/50 shot. Good for him.

6. Ivansito26 says:

hahaha good moved by this pro in poker …. after winning a tournament is launched to this adventure hehehehe to the final is an adrenaline that you have to think to bet 60k in a color in the jejej roulette, I think those 60k they did not need them or maybe it was a pleasure that they wanted to

7. AgentXtreme says:

What a guy , playing a tournament for hours , won it and risk the prize on a less than 50% chance to double , but black color was in his side 😀

8. king11682 says:

waoooo. It’s too risky to play your winnings on roulette. It was seconds of tension and in the end the joy of falling the ball in the color black. I would not do that. I would bet a smaller amount on roulette. But it went well to Jake Cody. congratulations

9. Malnitruth says:

Good thing that Yong spiked the winner 🙂

10. Mickflava888 says:

Cody thanks the roulette gods!! well done brother im glad it went well for you, my kinda guy!!!

11. moots says:

Must be nice to be a sponsored pro and be able to take these kind of risks 🙂

Looks like it was a 2 day tournament, so he spent a lot of time to earn that money. But he won and that’s all that matters. I’m sure he took all his friends out for a nice dinner. I need a rich friend 🙁