micalupagoo

micalupagoo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Funny thing about “luck” is,
Some people think they’re unlucky therefore can’t win. Or that other people are very lucky and that’s why they win.

To me, making the right choices at the right time and playing the odds correctly equals a consistently winning player. If you’re getting it in with 80% chance to win, and that 20% chance hits and you lose, is it really unlucky? It happens one in five times…
I can run deep (and even win) freerolls and low buyin games often, as do other players I keep seeing.
Are them and I lucky that we just make the right calls?
(I sometimes fold low pocket pairs, AJs+ etc where others always seem to shove, you have to decide if you want to go out of the game on a coin toss)
So sure luck always plays a factor, but bad play is a much bigger factor;)

RagNar87

RagNar87

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
it s posible but u need to be very skillfull and this is not working with freerolls

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you calculate as luck, the 'don't lose any 90-10+%' on turn or river then never.

Otherwise, at small field tourneys, it is possible.

Rui Ferreira

Rui Ferreira

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It's very difficult to win a tournament without being lucky, but I think you should play your best without being lucky.

M

mclay

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I think that this is not possible, no matter how strong a player you are. The ability to beat even strong players attracts poker amateurs.

C

Carlo35

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you can get far in a tournament without luck, I don’t know if you can win. I remember that the poker player Anett Obrestad won a online tournament without seeing her cards during the entire tournament only betting according to her reads of her opponents, but I guess in the heads up you will need luck to win.
wow!!! Was it a sit and go or a real mtt?

sergui72

sergui72

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It will be difficult, but I think it is possible.

P

pwalker4201977

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea u can win a tournament but I think at sm pts in the tourney u need to get lucky

AizenFalck

AizenFalck

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that the ability will be used if you are lucky enough to have hands to use that ability, it is useless to be skilled if you are going to receive only trash hands in a tournament and not be able to do anything with them, whoever says that luck does not play a fundamental role in poker is simply someone who does not know the game. Regards.

A

Asteri727

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think skill comes first in poker but you definitely need a few lucky hands as well

M

McMorris830

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Every hands a winner and every hands a loser!
Takes skill and “luck”, but there’s no such thing as “luck”!!
Luck is experience and opportunity intersecting !
Can’t get “lucky” if you don’t set yourself up to benefit from the opportunity when it does present itself.
Just some food for thought. Good luck at the tables !!!!

andreypuch

andreypuch

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck in tournament poker is an example of the importance of the concept of distance. One tournament is a very short distance. And it can be argued that luck is extremely important in tournament poker. But at the same time, let's not forget about the skill.

M

mouTAT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need luck variance is more present in tournaments than cash game

D

danydidi

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sure u need some luck .but after all it's about ßkill and math. U should win 1 of 10 in first 10 places

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I played many tournaments and sometimes I win ,sometimes I lost, when I win ,I don't know if this happened because of me I had a good game , or was luck.

Luck will always be an element when playing Poker, because no-one can get the cards they need to make a hand all of the time, it just doesn't happen, unless you are the luckiest player in the world.
The real skill comes down to giving the impression that you are hitting the cards even when you don't, and trying to pull off a bluff, when you are holding the nuts! Confusing isn't it, and that is what you have to do to your opponents, Confuse them into believing you hold a good hand when drawing dead. and are trying to bluff when you have them beat.
Position plays a big part in pulling off a perfect bluff, because if you are last to act you can raise them off a hand, if they only have a pair, it is much harder if you are first to act because you have to size your bets correctly, too small and they are going to call, too big and you could be losing your tournament life.
Poker is a fun game and playing the right moves at the right time make it that much more fun! sure we don't always get it right and sometimes our bluffs are called down but if you can make some hands look like you have the nuts while they have a pair or even 2 pair it can be profitable.
Try playing limit hold-em for a few days because in that game it is much harder to bluff a person off a hand, especially at the river, because there is a limit to how much you can bet and your opponent is always getting the correct odds to call if they are holding a semi decent hand.

When the fun Stops, STOP!

P

ppartizan2

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have a feeling that you maybe cabt win a tournament without luck, but you can definitely end up with some money if you are very passive and another player at your table is always passive. I play tourneys pretty passive since im not that good at poker, and i usually end up 80 out of 300 etc.

47Belarus

47Belarus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Absolutely not. When you have KK and the other player goes all-in with 64 had 6 on the turn and 4 on the river.And you lose (

S

Snake2007

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Without a little luck you can't win a tournament.

D

Damian Baez

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Answer

It is impossible to win flips without luck and good decisions are what allow you to win a tournament.

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you define good luck as sucking out on your opponent. It will happen few times over the course of tournament.

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I played many tournaments and sometimes I win ,sometimes I lost, when I win ,I don't know if this happened because of me I had a good game , or was luck.

I've never won a tournament without getting lucky. Given how many players you have to beat to take 1st place I feel like getting lucky is one of the key ingredients to winning a poker tournament :)

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Luck is the biggest factor in any tournament.

Today, I made it to the final two and had to get lucky twice. Once I caught a two outer on the river. The other time I won A3 vs JJ. Both were against players I covered by a good margin, but it was still luck that I took out both.

I was up against a luckbox in HU and I am not exaggerating. He was the worst player I have ever ended up HU with. He would min bet in every situation but somehow by the river he would win with literally any two cards.

Anyway, I started HU with 1/10 his chips. Ended up taking the lead as I basically just shoved with above avg hands and he would call with crap. But my luck ran out.

He caught a 3 outter on the river with 89. He was calling raises and still donk betting with nothing but 9 high. (I had A9 so his 9 wasn't even alive).

Then last hand QQ vs. J6 and he wins.

What can you do about that? It's all luck.

Skill puts you in a situation where you can kick some butt, but without luck backing you up, you ain't winning.