You can win a tournament without luck?

R

Royal9012

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I played many tournaments and sometimes I win ,sometimes I lost, when I win ,I don't know if this happened because of me I had a good game , or was luck.

G

Gamer4455

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Royal9012. There is skill and luck in the game of poker. Your skill can't bring the right cards to the table. That's luck. Then skill takes over, on how you play your hand. Always, think of your wins are because of them both. Your losses are from other factors. You may let down your guard, and not see what's going on at the table. You may play a little to loose. Then there are the Bad Beats, which no player can control. The best way to deal with them, is to forget them as fast as you can. Tilt will take your game all apart. Remember, that what's past is past. Go on to the next hand and keep your focus. GL to you

MAGICUZ

MAGICUZ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Players at the poker table are divided into two groups: those who believe in luck and try in every possible way to appease and attract both it and those who believe in mathematics, distance and their skill. In fact, both players believe the same thing, only they call it differently. Luck can be defined as success by chance. That is, in poker, luck is to win a hand by making a mistake on each street. Then failure - when the opponent wins the hand, collecting a runner-runner street to the river, although from the point of view of mathematics, his actions were erroneous.Ultimately, in poker everything depends on the decisions you make. Believe in luck or not - it's up to you.

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Phil Ivey once said "my little sister can beat me at poker on the right day."

A

AllOut

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Never. For an easy example just remember about shoving your AK preflop against someone that calls with Queens or any lower pair and you hit your ace on board win the pot. Isn't it luck? I mean it's flip (with he's being slight favourite) however you get all the chips. Sure, you made right play so he does. At the end, he's out, it's you continue playing. There's many examples even the worst situations like someone gets into pot with less than 20% of winning, end up makes his hand - takes the pot. Another situation would be like you win allin with AA against opp's KK. We all know we're approximately 82% ahead so it shouldn't be considered ''luck'' if we win, right? But I think in behind of it, we're extremely lucky being have Aces at sametime someone got Kings.
Certainly no one might do it just because of luck however all you need to run good in long period of time, tens of critic spots.

Last edited:
Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
sure it is possible but the chances are not in your favor you will need luck at one point, but the more you play the more you win. maybe 1/200 wins might be pure skill and right move at the right times.

iwont20

iwont20

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Of course you need a lot of luck to win a tournament - when and what kind of hands you get, how you flop, winning flips, and any all-ins in general (which will be plenty) is all out of your control, and is determinated by luck. Skill is when you know what to do with and how make the most out of your luck.

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
If you make the FT or top 3 at some time during the tournament you will need luck.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you can get far in a tournament without luck, I don’t know if you can win. I remember that the poker player Anett Obrestad won a online tournament without seeing her cards during the entire tournament only betting according to her reads of her opponents, but I guess in the heads up you will need luck to win.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It seems to me that it is necessary to have the worst hand to beat the best in some cases. This happens only thanks to luck. But then it has a positive effect on the further game and winning the tournament.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Short answer: No. Its poker not chess.

srurrr

srurrr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was eliminated with one bad beat, even though I probably never made a mistake in the tournament. So I think tournaments require luck.

M

madmandown

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Luck has nothing to do it but I admit from the very beginning they told has its luck and I bought it to and try to forget it everyday and one day I'll make it but my advice to you guys is it's just probability of cards that's comes on the board that's it and the results get effected by variance.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Winning a poker tournament is more about skill than luck. If your skilled you will win more than with luck. Does it take luck to win, Yes and no. A skilled player can stay away from bad situations but if you have aces vs 72o you will win 82% of the time so you need to be lucky that 1 in 5 time just does not happen then. Id that luck when you win is the question. So yes you need some luck but its not about luck.

Schokk

Schokk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I played many tournaments and sometimes I win ,sometimes I lost, when I win ,I don't know if this happened because of me I had a good game or was luck.
I suppose the main thing to win tournaments is distance, if you play 1-2 tournaments per week, then you have small chances to win. But if you play 50+ tournaments per week then you have quite a big chance to win if your strategy is ok and you are a tight player, who played good hands with good EV. Good luck.

Adi8877

Adi8877

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I played many tournaments and sometimes I win ,sometimes I lost, when I win ,I don't know if this happened because of me I had a good game , or was luck.

Yes it's Poker, not gambling

Mostly agree, even most of the people put it in simply the gambling category, for me all the card and table games are separated. (ironic and funny, most of those whose arguing with me, why i gambling with poker, spend so much time etc. so these individuals go and buy lottery tickets regularly, dont know, not even one who is in + from lottery or these scratching craps what you can buy everywhere... and the many other slots and the rest of the 100% gambling, more correctly 100% losing types)

if the question is mostly about that, it is possible, yes it is especially the smaller field tourneys case. otherwise most of the time you need some luck as well, in the bigger field tourneys very likely you can't win, even reach the FT, without - at least - a little luck.... very hard to reach the top 1% without flips, at least 1-2 times... not impossible, but hard, personally never happened with me - dont remember - in 1-2k+ reg tourneys.

still giving way under 50% for luck factor in poker, in long run, after counting at least 1-2k+ tourneys...

B

BIGAUS

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the simple answer here that most would give you is no. There are very few times that I can remember where for the whole tournament I won from start to finish (aside from maybe a 1-table S&G or heads-up turbo game) where every hand where I'm all-in and at risk of busting out of a tournament I'm ahead at the time of the shove and win. Sometimes more luck is needed than others, but a little bit of luck is always involved in a long tournament win.

M

Mahdi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nope, you can't, too big sample to win without being behind and winning hands

bra01

bra01

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Winning a game does require a certain amount of luck and badbeat other players, but it also needs its own technology and strategy to guarantee.

perrypip

perrypip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Winning takes both luck and skill. On the days you don't get any luck at all you won't win but on the days you are lucky you need to play skilled so that you win the most.