perrywh

perrywh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Your lucky to get good cards to play! Then it takes skill to play them for the win!

magister1

magister1

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I've always wondered this too. Like, there is no way a large field tournament winner makes it all the way through without getting lucky at least once, right?

Then again, it seems like every few years there is a guy like Jason Mercier who ends up winning multiple big ones.

So there is definitely skill, but its never just 100% skill.

Ellvira

Ellvira

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
in a tournament one step away from money. stack of 25bb, I have AA and I give All-in in. on baton a stack of 27bb coll and opens 7 2o flop 2 2 7 is this luck or skill?
maybe I'm just starting to play and don't understand a lot, but I don't understand a call on a raise with 7 2o

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I have always thought that luck has a good influence, many times plays happen that you start losing and end up winning, I consider it luck, well it depends on how the play is, but I say that luck influences a good part of the game and now the rest is the skills and knowledge, luck will be there, even if they say no

ramdon p358

ramdon p358

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
To win a tournament you have to be lucky, but not everything depends on this. Skill also plays an important role

Banjois

Banjois

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
in a tournament one step away from money. stack of 25bb, I have AA and I give All-in in. on baton a stack of 27bb coll and opens 7 2o flop 2 2 7 is this luck or skill?
maybe I'm just starting to play and don't understand a lot, but I don't understand a call on a raise with 7 2o

Don't let somebody else's ridiculous play and dumb luck influence what you do.

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Getting a victory with luck is the smallest thing that can be in the game. To win you need knowledge and skills.

PatriceM915

PatriceM915

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing with luck is kind of bad because sometimes luck sleeps.

D

donpiatnik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I played many tournaments and sometimes I win ,sometimes I lost, when I win ,I don't know if this happened because of me I had a good game , or was luck.
I don't know, a little luck should have definitely ... but with unfortunate it doesn't success for sure

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I hate luck
yes its needed
and sometimes its not needed at all
205194384b25dc960b7d1ac95a1e04d7.png

D

dregan

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Luck alone will not win the game. Otherwise, professionals would not exist. Of course, luck is needed, but it does not solve everything.

flail1

flail1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Success in tourney means winning your flips - so all the hands where you get it in in the 60/40 range - that requires good luck at key hands. Nobody goes deep in a tourney without bein on a run of winning flips.

SpanRmonka

SpanRmonka

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Never. For an easy example just remember about shoving your AK preflop against someone that calls with Queens or any lower pair and you hit your ace on board win the pot. Isn't it luck? I mean it's flip (with he's being slight favourite) however you get all the chips. Sure, you made right play so he does. At the end, he's out, it's you continue playing. There's many examples even the worst situations like someone gets into pot with less than 20% of winning, end up makes his hand - takes the pot. Another situation would be like you win allin with AA against opp's KK. We all know we're approximately 82% ahead so it shouldn't be considered ''luck'' if we win, right? But I think in behind of it, we're extremely lucky being have Aces at sametime someone got Kings.
Certainly no one might do it just because of luck however all you need to run good in long period of time, tens of critic spots.

All the above plus every single time you are in a hand where 1 person is all in before all the cards are dealt you require some luck. The villains 1 or 2 outers on the river require luck not to hit them. Way less luck of course, but still some small portion!

So its totally impossible to win without luck.

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Although I believe that the skills and experience of a player are crucial in poker, but luck is still an important factor. I think without luck success is impossible. Both in poker and in real life we need luck.

nanida888

nanida888

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey! In my opinion, it is difficult to win a tournament without luck, but sometimes it happens, they win a tournament by skill, rich gaming experience. I probably don't know how to play, and I have little experience, because without luck I can't win tournaments so far.

Alekxandrovi3

Alekxandrovi3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I won or reached the finaltable, I was always lucky and played well.

M

madmandown

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you play well than you don't have to be lucky untill and unless everything fell on right place in right time.

nanida888

nanida888

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion is - no, without a little luck, you won't win a tournament, you won't get a lot of money in the cash either. There should be a 50/50 proportion of luck and skill.

acidburnfx

acidburnfx

Senior apprentice
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
"Poker is a game of skill with a big factor involved called luck."
- Chris Moneymaker

D

dnadeau1989

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
all poker games require patience, strategy, skill, and LUCK... ALWAYS count on a little bit of luck being the case as well

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Winning the tournament is impossible without luck. Even if you played the entire tournament without mistakes and your hands always had a better chance of winning, the fact that you did not have a bad beat or your premium hands survived is also lucky. So the winners in poker are always lucky, I think so.:)

BillyR23

BillyR23

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
In poker(especially online) the sample size is really important: if you play a lot than my answer is Yes- you can definitely win tournaments without luck... many poker pros like to say that anyone can beat anyone on a small sample size(like under 1000-5000 hands) but if the same players play a lot more hands(25.000+) than 'luck'/ variance isn't that much of factor anymore and the better player will win pretty much all the time...

Zapahlohotrona

Zapahlohotrona

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can't win a tournament without luck. Play poker professionally like me. Once a day I open the client, register in the freeroll, fly out in the first hand, close the client.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I played many tournaments and sometimes I win ,sometimes I lost, when I win ,I don't know if this happened because of me I had a good game , or was luck.

I have been keeping statistics of my results for several years, and thanks to this I clearly understand what stage of progress I am at. I have always believed, and will continue to believe, that skills and experience are two decisive factors, but nevertheless, without luck we will not be able to succeed. Luck is a necessary and integral part of a successful game and good results.

S

steve01991

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
winning without luck? im sure its possible but highly unlikely. ive lost with pocket aces, so you still need some luck.