Sschafell

Sschafell

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I believe not, to nail a tournament you have to win several important flip and no luck is impossible!

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
no, its impossible to win a poker tournament without being lucky, however if you make good decisions and play well your odds of winning will significantly increase.

Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Simple answer is yes Live that is. Online no. I've won many tournaments live by playing right and never sucking out. Online all tournaments I've won I have sucked out. I try to play right but the computer programming gets me in the river. But real poker live definitely you can win with pure skill if you get into people's heads and try to 1 vs 1. Online no. You must have the second best hand and suck out.

D

dorynel7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
every time you need some luck in any tournament.

passat1600

passat1600

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think that in a regular tournament you can win without luck by owning mathematical calculations, and in turbo tournaments everything is decided by a random number generator ... This is just my opinion;)

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Naturally, luck did its part, you were not moved, all your bluffs passed, at the right moment you won from below, all this is luck)

ga25x

ga25x

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
U can't. To win a tourney you should get lucky at some point. I know not many agree, but i consider "get lucky" even as much as avoiding bad beats. For example u have been dealt AA and some1 has KK. It's big chance u both go all in preflop and avoiding bad beat (him hitting a K, or making a flash or a str8) i also consider as some kind of luck.

Mati532

Mati532

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
No, luck is obviously essential to win a tournament. Like making good decisions will help a lot in getting great results!

sandlax

sandlax

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
man , you must play tight and put all in with the bests in the range ...it works
i have never try that before its like to hang yourself but i know that poker its like that... so sad for my emotions :(

sandlax

sandlax

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe not, to nail a tournament you have to win several important flip and no luck is impossible!

i dont know for me if you go all in JJ vs KK and get J in flop and win like that for me thats luck and come on i never win because of that... me unluck and the other got luck!

B

BodyCount

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is no such case in the history of poker.

kanogott

kanogott

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
This is a very clear decision. To win a tourney you need luck. There are several parts of luck, thats help you to win. For sure you must play your best poker, but its necessary that you have luck. At first the table is a part of luck, which opponents do you have. Good players. The hit you good spots. I mean its also luck if you had aa and somebody has in this hand kk, so you get value in this case. Antother thing of luck, is the clearest way of luck. You not the favourite and you win with luck this hand. You could get with nearly no luck in the money but to go deep you need the different aspects of luck.

TCHUCO2005

TCHUCO2005

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
basically it's a mix of playing well and a dash of luck... because there are those who believe in it.

C

chriszeira

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
A sorte existe no pôquer. No curto prazo, é extremamente importante, e o fator sorte torna o jogo mais interessante, pois dá chances a todos os jogadores. É necessário que haja um pouco de fator sorte para que jogadores menos habilidosos tenham a chance de ganhar e se empolguem para jogar.

O problema é que, no curto prazo, o jogador que depende da sorte perde amanhã (na habilidade) do que ganhou hoje (na sorte). Se a sorte tivesse tanta influência no pôquer, a tendência era que todos os jogadores estivessem empatados no final - e você sabe que não é esse o caso. Temos jogadores que ganham muito e aqueles que perdem muito.

VITOS

VITOS

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It has long been assumed that poker skill is 90%, and luck is 10%. Let's take a simple question: Is it possible to win a single tournament without luck, on one pure skill? The answer is unequivocal-NO. And is it possible to win a single tournament on luck alone? The answer is obvious-YES! You can play your best poker, fill the stack, go chip the leader of a major tournament, but as soon as the moment comes to play on the stack , you lose. And no skill in the world will save you from defeat if your luck has left you and the variance has swung the pendulum down. We win all our victories when luck favors us, when the variance begins to swing up, in the positive direction. When we start winning not every second coinflip, but two out of three. When we already get two outs at the right moment and a cooler is distributed in our direction, such as AA in the CC. We need skill so that when luck is with us, we can realize it as a result, and when luck has left us-not to lose too much.

L

LetterRip

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I played many tournaments and sometimes I win ,sometimes I lost, when I win ,I don't know if this happened because of me I had a good game , or was luck.

Depends on the size of the tournament. Winning with 'average luck' in small field deeper stacked tourneys is fairly doable. The larger the field and shorter the stacks, the greater the role that luck plays.

P86

P86

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion you need luck to win MTTs no matter how good of a player you are at some point in the MTT you will find yourself in a bad position or behind in a hand even if you had the best decision but you need luck to win those kind of hands coz those which make the difference in winning or not...

M

moularaki

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
luck is part of poker
you don't have it you don't win

Pokerstudy

Pokerstudy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
No. You simply can't win a poker tournament without luck, however, you can create your own luck:) And by that, I mean you can cash in a tourney by using skill, however, you still need some luck to win a tournament. The idea of winning a tournament is alluring to people, I only look at things in numbers, will I profit from the tournaments long term.? Winning or "getting on TV" means jack shit to me lol

I am only playing to make a profit to pursue other creative outlets, although I do think poker is creative! And I do enjoy it! It's a long story:)

There is a sense of accomplishment of feeling from winning a tournament, but not at all the same from creating a video (or anything, writing, helping...anything) that changes lives, or inspiring great change (not that I have yet..really)

My ego does not live in Poker, it lives in creating. So to win a poker tournament, is just a bonus for my creative interests, and before you scold me for that comment, there are many poker players that feel the same way.

The game is fun, have fun, but play responsibly, and don't get caught up in the BS of it.

And don't let your ego think your special, because the game still has luck.

Everyone has a special talent, and that talent should be used outside of Poker IMO.

Poker is a game.

Last edited:
forrow10

forrow10

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck is part of the game. We must learn to play with or without it

aleomar86

aleomar86

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think so, for me among everything you must have, luck is included, so I don't think that without luck you can win.

Pokerstudy

Pokerstudy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think so, for me among everything you must have, luck is included, so I don't think that without luck you can win.

Nice, lets look at shit at a spreadsheet for monies baller. No worries, the rec players won't do the same.

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No one can win without some good luck. Never mind the situations where you get the chips in as the dog but win, when you get dealt certain cards is luck too.

If we don't count the luck involved with what cards are dealt, and only go with decisions you control, it's still very hard to win without some good luck.

Let's say you go all in four times, each time with 75% win probability. The probability of you winning all 4 is only 31.6%.

I can honestly say I have never won a tourney without getting very lucky in at least one hand. Not that I necessarily misplayed, but situations like where I am aipf with QQ and vs. AA and I river a Q.

On the other hand, I have had countless tourneys where I went in as the fav in all-ins every single time but busted out anyway.

It is not easy to win a tournament, especially if stacks aren't deep. Count your blessings if you win one.