The Best Poker Books - Win 2 Free Books!

es530

es530

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not know any of these books, I hope to read "
Crushing the Microstakes ".
Everything I know and, or think I know was learned through forum articles.
I think the best suggestion I've gotten through these studies was the Texas Holdem Toolbox. I am not aware that this article is part of any book. this was a knowledge that made me play better.

C

cpace1000

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Ive just started reading Mastering Small Stakes No Limit Holdem by Jonathan Little. It has been a great book thus far. It shows specific situations from certain positions on how to handle certain dry and wet boards.

He also makes you think in terms of your range, not just "I have KQs, what do I do on this flop?" I also really like the floattheturn.com App which shows you how to play optimal short stack strategy from certain positions.

RidersFan

RidersFan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Book are an ok start if you’re just getting into poker to show you the basics. online poker is changing at such a fast rate that most poker books are dated. Books on mind set and poker are much better than poker books on strategy. To learn the game now it’s much better to invest in a platform like RYE or Upswing poker as a membership to these platform gives you access to all their content and they’re also constantly updating information as the meta of the game changes.

M

Muzyka1996

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you for the book list I never read a book about poker because I prefer the video

T

Top Top

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best Poker books are Harrington on Hold ’em: Expert Strategy for No-Limit Tournaments and and The Mental Game of Poker by Jared Tendler and Barry Carter

Ivansito26

Ivansito26

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
sincerely this topic will be very sincere I have only read this book and I have not finished reading it The Mental Game of Poker: Proven Strategies for Improving Tilt Control, but I hope they recommend me one and in the article I will have several options to read it I hope they come also in Spanish

AvovchikA

AvovchikA

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The best article. For a long time I searched for worthy authors. I like Moshman. In any case, what's important is not what you read, but what you'll understand from the read

Paya_31

Paya_31

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The truth that I had the opportunity to read several books that are here, but if you add Win at Poker - David Sklansky. It is a book that is in Spanish. But I served much the books compiled. There are several that caught my attention, so I'll look, thank you very much for this collection.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Maybe if I start reading now I could actually get to play when it's time for me to retire from my job. Seriously, though I think these categories are too broad to be greatly useful for someone wanting a quick suggestion on what to read. For someone like me, I would like to see a quick bullet point list of what key strategies are included in each book. Something like:

This book is excellent for learning:
  • Dealing with Tilt.
  • Bluffing.
  • Calculating Pot Odds
An it wouldn't be too hard to have a secondary page where you could look up a poker skill and see a list of books related to that skill.

I know most books all cover the same things, but I'd have to believe some books do a better job at specific skills than others.

There's a lot more to them than your suggested bullit points. Maybe if you were to read the intro. to one of them on say Amazon or something (after it'd been recommended on here)... it might be helpful
MOST of the better books these days (and for quite a few years now) help the reader to develop & build upon their own thinking about the game. Not so much about the 'how to' aspects

Last edited:
Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I
Harrington in Hold'em (Dan Harrington / Bill Robertie)

Great series but VERY outdated. Would still be good for a beginner just getting started in Tournament play.

Poker Texas Hold'em: The power of strategy (Daniel Negreanu)

Did you mean > 'Power Holdem Strategy' by Daniel Negreanu ? If so, this book is TOTAL GARBAGE and the only list I would recommend it for is the garbage dump. Oh... no! That is not true! Take it to recycling so they can make some toilet paper out of it. A much better use for that massively thick volume of utter useless junk.

The mental game of poker (Jared Tendler / Barry Carter)
A decent book for those who have trouble with TILT & for those who are not able to embrace variance in the game of poker.

57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
The Psychology of Poker by Alan N. Schoonmaker. I like this book because it asks questions about why we play poker. It is a good read, I will reread it again and again.

Jdjakubisin

Jdjakubisin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
great list. I didn't see any of Phil Gordon's "Little color" books. Those were the first I read and I think they were some of the best one could start with. Well organized and easy to apply.

No1eJoker

No1eJoker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My opinion is that the books do not help too much in the improvement of the game, the player must have his game and experience is necessary. The only book I have read is Harrington on Hold 'em V 1

Rosxana13

Rosxana13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I haven't read any Poker books yet but if I'll have to pick one to read first it will be the ''Professional No Limit Holdem'' Is the one I felt more attracted to I would like to become a professional poker player in cash games and then learn more about tournaments to some day win big prize! :D

gardin555

gardin555

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to study articles and videos, but the books that have attracted me and which I consider very good and I learn a lot are:
Professional no-limit holdem vol I-II (Matt Flynn-Metha-Miller)
Elements of Poker (Tommy Angelo)
How To Read hands At No-Limit Hold’em (Ed Miller)
Winning poker tournament one hand at a time vol 1, 2 (Lynch, VanFLeet, Turner)

king11682

king11682

Kimba
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
It is very important to study in poker to be a successful player, and these books are very useful, since they provide us with strategies and long experience of players with years in the world of poker.

K

kapobar

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I didn't read any poker book so far.Experience is more important.
I would like to read something but I can't understand very well english,on my language I can't find decent book.

jfmcd86

jfmcd86

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ive never really read any poker books in my life, but I would be interested to do so. Do reading poker books make me a great player? only one way to find out, and that's to order one of these books ! lol

RedGnom

RedGnom

Run, Forester! Run!
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Frankly speaking, i was wondering do not see in the list any book of poker math. From my experience, I have started to read many books on the subject of poker (cash, tournaments, strategy) and didn't succeed to finish reading these book becasue i was stuck in the middle of reading experience. I did not have full understanding of the subject becasue things bacame fully relate to poker math wherein I have small knowledge of this stuff. I left to read the books which I have started and switch to new line of reading. I have started and finished to read Poker Math Made Easy (Roy Rounder) at the beginning. Currently I have been reading much complicated content in comparison with previous book, this is Practical Poker Math/Basic odds and Probabilities for Holdem&Omaha/ by Pat Dittmar.
Regarding presented list of the poker books, I think it`s quite clear that there`s still room for improvement.Thanks.

VovanBaron

VovanBaron

RiddlesInTheShadow
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree that poker books and studying theory of poker is a good part to become good player but recently I started to watch poker videos and replays of final tables and now I learn the GTO strategy and feel that it gives me pretty good impact.Now I play normal decisional poker and I think result will come soon!!!

J

John N

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I would definitely look at Secrets of Professional Tournament Poker by Jonathan Little

swannymojo

swannymojo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One of my favorite poker books of all time is a book by Tommy Angelo called "Painless Poker". Its a great book on how to deal with the emotional loss involved in poker. Its great for players interested in learning about how to develop into a player who doesn't tilt and has a rock hard grasp on their emotions. Also just a super fun read.

Eric Salvador

Eric Salvador

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Applications of No-Limit Hold'em by Matthew Janda
Pokers 1% by Ed Miller
Small Stakes Poker by Jonathan Little

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for all of the suggestions - keep them coming! We will start adding the list to the first post in this thread.

sammy22

sammy22

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Applications of No-Limit Hold'em by Matthew Janda
Pokers 1% by Ed Miller
Small Stakes Poker by Jonathan Little

Which Book are referring to exactly when you say “Small Stakes Poker by Jonathan Little”.......there are so many.