The Best Poker Books - Win 2 Free Books!

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To my regret, poker is in an “uncertain position” in my country. Therefore, these books are not published in Russian. To read these books (at least some) you should look for old editions in second-hand bookshops. Or be content with electronic versions (not always legal). This is a real problem faced by players in many countries where poker is not completely legalized.

I apologize that my post does not contain a list of books that should be added or subtracted. The reality is that the player should rejoice at any book he can find in Russian.

W

Wiliest

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have read many of the books on the list, but the best book on poker I have ever read is "Expert Heads-Up No Limit Hold'em " by Will Tipton (volumes 1 & 2)

Like many in the thread have said, a lot of poker books become outdated rather quickly, but this is one that will still be relevant 100 years from now. It thoroughly teaches GTO play and combines it with common deviations from GTO play as well as the subsequent exploitations. The book gives you the tools to create proper ranges for any situation, and is very relevant across multiple game types, rather than giving you static advice on how to play common situations. It is especially useful for any work you plan on doing away from the tables. Definitely a must read book for any aspiring poker player imo, and you can find a free pdf version of it after a quick google search!

D

Danb_1985

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have Doyle Brunson’s Super System and wondered if there’s any point in getting the 2nd book?

S

sekcapilniqt

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have not read a single book about poker
Today there are many videos on the internet that allow one to prepare and learn all about poker

Bricxjo

Bricxjo

Just some happy guy
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
So my recommendations for strategy books are pretty much covered by others, but I will put in my vote:

I like the Harrington on Hold'Em Books and Caro's Book of Poker tells.

I also have a non-strategy related recommendation:

I started watching the movie Molly's Game and it started talking about her book and that she "named names". I got the idea that the book was well before a lot of the movie took place, so I turned off the movie and decided not to watch the rest until I had read the book.

I am about 3/4 of the way through the book and she definitely did name names. It is an interesting read. I am sure some of the people mentioned in the book might not like that she used their real name. The book is Molly's Game by Molly Bloom.

No1eJoker

No1eJoker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A sizable choice of books that help to improve your skills.. The only book which I have found translated into my language and I've read it is Harrington on Hold 'em V 1, a very interesting book!

Bev

Bev

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The list you have is very good , that I can tell. I am a bad one to ask as I have never read any books About Poker .
I have only read an old book on the rules of Holdem and the other types of poker games and how to play ( way back )
.... I liked the review on each of them and can see where each one has something good to share depending on what one wants to do with their game.
They all sound great if one wants to make a career from poker.
After reading the list I would have no clue as to what to take off or add. Sorry

I am using this post for the November Challenge

Gold - Read Books
https://www.cardschat.com/forum/lea...ker-books-win-2-free-391386/post-4576827.html

I did reply to this one back in August.
I am afraid I have not read any books on poker since then either.
So, I really can`t comment again on this one, I just never read books about poker .

PsychoVas

PsychoVas

What The Duck???
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Being the slob that I am (to be honest I think that the seven deadly sins were incorporated in my operation manual), I haven't read all of the books mentioned in the article.
In my limited experience, I liked:
Crushing the Microstakes
by "BlackRain79"
The Mental Game of Poker 1 & 2
by Jared Tendler

all of Harrington's books and one not mentioned here, David Sklansky's Math Of Hold'em.

I am using this post for the November Challenge

Gold - Read Books
https://www.cardschat.com/forum/lea...ker-books-win-2-free-391386/post-4576827.html

I did reply to this one back in August.
I am afraid I have not read any books on poker since then either.
So, I really can`t comment again on this one, I just never read books about poker .
Same applies to me. I have to use the old post for November, maybe just adding: Winning Psychology by Roy Rounder.

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The Best Poker Book Ever..

I have commented on this before in a previous thread but for me, my favourite poker book is...

Every Hand Revealed - Gus Hansen

This book is superb as it gives a real insight into the mind of a professional player in a live tourney situation (Aussie Millions 2007) and describes real detail in a hand by hand basis from start to the end of the tourney. No spoilers here but Gus recreates every detail and i felt like i was actually there playing across the table from him
What Gus also masters here - is the art of playing non premium hands and also the art of bluffing..a really excellent read.

https://www.pokernews.com/news/2008/03/book-review-gus-hansen-every-hand-revealed.htm

zam220

zam220

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I read only one book - Harrington in Hold'em (Dan Harrington / Bill Robertie).Therefore, I recommend this book !

migesan

migesan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Honestly, I did not read any of the book, I did not even try to find it, there are no books in my area, only in bigger cities or at the book fair, but I did not ask them there, everything I know about poker learned from here.:)

DeN4iK310882

DeN4iK310882

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have never read poker books before. Very little time for this. I sometimes watch videos. Now, thanks to your article, I am discovering a book that I will definitely read.

Harrington on Online Cash Games

by Dan Harrington

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For my mates in Latin America, I recommend this book in Spanish, written by Leo Margets, How to play and win at poker, this other book is also very good, written by Dan Harrington, Harrington on Hold'em, and finally this book by Mr. Gus Hansen, Every Hand Revealed.
Gl

ELPRIIINCIPE

ELPRIIINCIPE

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
As always bringing us the best information to grow every day more as poker players, I would really like to read: Winning Poker Tournaments One Hand at a Time V 1, 2, & 3
by Jon Turner, Eric Lynch and Jon Van Fleet, and I would also like to read something about how to manage bankroll.

RidersFan

RidersFan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wouldn’t remove any books from the list even books like Super Systems that are very dated do still have some valuable information in them.
I would add Essential Poker Math: Fundamental No Limit Holdem Mathematics by Alton Hardin

jingler

jingler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Unfortunately, I have not read a single book about poker, all my training went online. However, my attention was drawn to the book How To Dominate $ 1 and $ 2 No Limit Hold'em and Advanced Concepts in SNG Play. I will try to look for their translation.:call2:

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good book list, thanks cardschat. But I think that a book about a heads up the game is not relevant because the cash game heads up died and solved machine . Maybe I'm wrong because there are MTT and Sit&Go tournaments and in the key stages of the tournament the necessary knowledge of heads up.

Nathan Smith

Nathan Smith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Where is: The Theory of Poker - David Slansky. This should be in the number one spot and its basic concepts still ring true today.
The Harrington Books and Raiser's Edge were great for their time but have become outdated.
For Cash games I would add: Pokers 1% by Ed Miller. It takes a lot of Matthew Janda's GTO workings and boils them done into a simpler way to apply them.

Nathan Smith

Nathan Smith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Can I also add - Every Hand Revealed by Gus Hansen. It's not the most educational book, but is a great read. Very fun and entertaining following Gus hand-by-hand as he won the Aussie Millions Tournament in 2007.

R

rafffinamore

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I do not look too much into poker books, I believe that videos are better, and discussions of plays, debates about how to play these situations is the best way to learn. The more there is always something good in reading, I liked For MTT: Kill everyone, this I found very interesting the way he talks about MTT.

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker Books

Harrington is an obvious choice on the list as well as Brunson's Super System. I have those books.

Here are my other books and my list:
The Poker Tournament Formula by Arnold Snyder
Texas Hold 'Em by Ken Warren
Caro's Fundamental Secrets of Winning Poker by Mike Caro
Championship No-Limits & Pot-Limit Hold'em by TJ Cloutier & Tom McEvoy
Poker Essays by Mason Malmuth
No-Limit Texas Hold'em by Brad Daugherty & Tom Mcevoy
Play Poker Like the Pros by Phil Hellmuth
Winning Poker for the Serious Player by Edwin Silberstang
The Theory of Poker by David Sklansky
Full Tilt Poke Strategy Guide by Michael Craig
Hold'em Poker by David Sklansky
Hold'em Poker for Advanced Players by David Sklansky and Mason Malmuth

I employ data and strategies from these books. I use the data in an Excel format that looks up my hand. It works quite well. I have found some very interesting thoughts from Snyder's, Harrington's, Silberstang's, and Sklansky's books that combined can develop into an awesome game! Hope this helps.

Dan'O

mtl mile end

mtl mile end

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
When I first saw this survey in August, I wasn't doing the challenges, so I thought I should read "Verbal poker tells" by Zach Elwood that I won from CC (Thanks CC!) before responding. Well it's three months later and I still haven't read it. And now I am back to doing the challenges, so I'm responding to this survey.

I have only read one poker book: "Little Green Book" by Phil Gordon. It is a very basic outline of approaching tournament NLHE. It is short (really short) and easy to read. It is probably a good "first book" for a tourney noob. You can probably read it waiting for your first tourney to start because you're an eager beaver, there was no traffic, and you reg'ed about two hours early. They should sell them at poker room merch counters.

If I were to read a bunch of books on NLHE, I would like to read the "classics" like Brunson's Super Systems books and Harrington's Harrington on Hold'Em series. I don't think fundamental approaches ever vary that much over time. If you argue that these are out of date, I would argue that you can't fully understand where you are if you don't appreciate where you came from. I am also interested in what others can teach me about physical tells, game theory, and poker psychology.

GRIN281289

GRIN281289

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I started reading books about poker well, for a long time I never had enough patience because it looks boring to me . all I needed to know about poker I read on the forum and watched the video with Daniel Negreanu for me, he's just a poker God :) . also learned a lot in communicating with friends who also play poker . and of course the most important thing is the practice of poker

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I have not read any poker book yet, because I have started playing poker on line, so I read about poker on line. Of course the book is something valuable and irreplaceable with a unique sence. This guide I see is enriched with many very interesting books, which can guide us through them for beginning!

Rijckenborg

Rijckenborg

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I bought a book that cardschat talked about.

"Advanced Concepts in No-Limit Hold'em: A Modern Approach to Poker Analysis"
by Hunter Cichy

It is really a complicated book for me.

I learn many things that I took into consideration to make better decision on the field, like equity.
The book contains a lot of hand analysis in all situations and he's great graphically.