The Best Poker Books - Win 2 Free Books!

lulu pk

lulu pk

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bertrand Grospellier Elky "The Raiser’s Edge"for those who need help with tournament strategy. The book exist in French and English.

oakthyago

oakthyago

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Applications of No-Limit Hold 'em is the more complex poker book that I ever read is definetly a good read. is not one of that books that you can just read in one sit you have to study it for a long term to really extract what the writer have to say

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very good list of books, I do not know much about this topic, I have never read a poker book, I would like to read the book on how to overcome the micro limits.

J

JordieChloe

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The Theory of Poker by David Sklansky is great for general knowledge about poker and Small Stakes Hold'em by Sklansky, Malmuth & Miller is great for small stakes limit games.

Chalada12

Chalada12

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Reading is still the best way to learn and to refresh your brain, it s much better than watching videos on YouTube or sitting in front of tv . Relaxing and reading books can be more fun, not just using the familiar easy ways. In my opinion , if u want to specialize in a specific kind of tournament ( How to dominate $1 and $2 no limit hold em ) it will be a useful book.

Hhh

reading has been one of the best ways to learn and refresh our brain . It s much better than watching video on YouTube , or sitting infront of tv. So in my opinion if you want to specialize in specific type of play ( cash game), I believe this book will be useful. HOW TO DOMINATE $1 and $2 no limit hold em .about the other books , I have not read them , but I recognize some , I will try to read them in future, they will help me a lot

Last edited by a moderator:
Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is changing, books are becoming obsolete. The most useful for studying is the understanding of poker mathematics - "The Theory of Poker" by David Sklansky.

R

Rounder646

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow yall's list is really top notch. I thought I might be able to add a couple but you have literally every poker book I have ever read on the list. An excellent mix of everything from tournaments to cash games, mental aspect like tells and tilt, and everything in between. Well done CC, that is an excellent list ! My personal favorite is "winning poker tournaments ; one hand at a time" all 3 versions are excellent and helped me a lot in learning about tournament poker !

Nelson1712

Nelson1712

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
apparently they are excellent books, although I have not read them, only The Theory of Poker which I do not see in the list, as well as I would add Poker Texas Hold'em: The power of strategy

elizeuof

elizeuof

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe that the book 1000 Best Poker Strategies and Secrets written by Susie Isaacs is a great book and deserves to be on this list.

ELPRIIINCIPE

ELPRIIINCIPE

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
oh my god, it's a big pain for me, but I've never read a book about poker, maybe that's the reason why I have not evolved as I wish I had.
But as I have already commented on the previous tasks, thanks for such interesting articles, this time I realized that I should read one as soon as possible, and so I do, I think I will start reading: Sit 'n' Go Strategy by Collin Moshman and Advanced Concepts in SNG Play by Johannes Meyer zu Wendischhoff, Julian Thomas, Robert Seidl.

Rijckenborg

Rijckenborg

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Awesome list of poker books :)
Reading book is a great way to improve our game.
But I have some difficulty to read English books.
Also, I get tired fast to read when it talks about formula to remind so I just skip them.
Long time ago I read a nice poker book, but I will not share it with you because no friend on the felt :p

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
no problem that the books are getting old.
the book does not make you a professional.
but the book gives you the initial step and understanding of poker.
develop yourself a long time and not a book.
so reading books is useful.

sammy22

sammy22

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Unfortunately, I have not read any books about poker.My training took place during the game, and I watched poker broadcasts on twitch.I was advised to read Harrington's book and I think I should do it.

Were you advised to read Harrington’s original books, “Harrington On Holdem volumess 1-3....OR his most recent book, “Harrington On Modern Tournament Poker?”

SharkyJohn

SharkyJohn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's a really good list of books! I like the division into categories :)
I don't think that I could recommend you guys any of Stud or Omaha books... I would like to add one more category,smth like "poker in general" and a great book by David Sklansky called "The Theory Of Poker" - such a aesy to read and complicated book ! Other books by Sklansky are also very good,I'm sure you can find smth you would like to read written by the author ;)

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
I am not a big reader but I did read most of Doyle's Super System quite a few years a back when I first started playing. I have Harington on Hold'em as well most likely collected.dust somewhere. Those two were considered the best two books at the time I started playing. If I had to recommend some Poker books it would be those two.

S

Salavat Kozhakhmetov

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Phil Gordon's Little green book

vitorbonatto

vitorbonatto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As a super modern player i dont get the time yet to read the classics. Thought to invest my time and money in online courses until now but the goal is to start reading at least 1 one of this list, maybe "HOW TO DOMINATE $1 and $2 no limit hold em" cause im going a lot to cash game right now.

Also, some recommendations of omaha books?

whiskers77

whiskers77

The art of purring
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I enjoyed pretty much the Arnold Snyders The Poker Tournament Formular and the books of Harrington. I think, it is a very interesting list. The Raisers Edge attracts me to read pretty much of your list.

Colin Moshman is pretty know for his SNG strategies, he also published some videos on the internet. But honestly I don't like to listen to his voice, so maybe reading his book, could be a good alternative for me. :D

I also wouldn't remove any book of them. But maybe, it would be interesting to put some rating on the books either by the CC team or by all CC users.

Nathan Williams

Nathan Williams

Poker Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Honored that my book is #2 on this list for cash games. Lot's of great titles here!

I would add "Ace on the River" by Barry Greenstein, one of my personal favorite poker books of all time. I would also add "Theory of Poker" by David Sklansky just because it has to be included in any discussion of "greatest poker books ever written."

XYZ2123

XYZ2123

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
For me the two best books on this list are Treat Your Poker Like a Business by Dusty Schmidt and The Mental Game of Poker by Jared Tendler. They teach by far the most important skills in poker (and life): how to manage your money (bankroll) wisely, and how to avoid letting your emotions get the better of you (aka tilt). Can be applied to any poker variation, so not sure why they're listed under Stud Games.

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What about the theory of poker by David Sklansky? Or is that now outdated?

This must be on the list, even if it is outdated. His Theorem is still solid:
“Every time you play a hand differently from the way you would have played it if you could see all your opponents' cards, they gain; and every time you play your hand the same way you would have played it if you could see all their cards, they lose.”
“Conversely, every time opponents play their hands differently from the way they would have if they could see all your cards, you gain; and every time they play their hands the same way they would have played if they could see all your cards, you lose.”​

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I also wouldn't remove any book of them. But maybe, it would be interesting to put some rating on the books either by the CC team or by all CC users.

Great idea, or at least some sort of key/legend to help players pick one that will help them.
Like an experience level (1,2,3) and/or a popularity level (1-10), or something to distinguish quality.

I find that when I am trying to pick my next study project, it is really tough to decide which book to go after next.

FYI
https://www.888poker.com/poker/poker-books

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe if I start reading now I could actually get to play when it's time for me to retire from my job. Seriously, though I think these categories are too broad to be greatly useful for someone wanting a quick suggestion on what to read. For someone like me, I would like to see a quick bullet point list of what key strategies are included in each book. Something like:

This book is excellent for learning:

• Dealing with Tilt.
  • Bluffing.
  • Calculating Pot Odds
An it wouldn't be too hard to have a secondary page where you could look up a poker skill and see a list of books related to that skill.

I know most books all cover the same things, but I'd have to believe some books do a better job at specific skills than others.

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe if I start reading now I could actually get to play when it's time for me to retire from my job. Seriously, though I think these categories are too broad to be greatly useful for someone wanting a quick suggestion on what to read. For someone like me, I would like to see a quick bullet point list of what key strategies are included in each book. Something like:

This book is excellent for learning:

• Dealing with Tilt.
  • Bluffing.
  • Calculating Pot Odds
An it wouldn't be too hard to have a secondary page where you could look up a poker skill and see a list of books related to that skill.

I know most books all cover the same things, but I'd have to believe some books do a better job at specific skills than others.
I think the main materials will be useful only 2: psychology and the basics of poker mathematics. This and the rest of the player should develop every day himself)

Dejange

Dejange

CC Delija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
Great list of poker books to make easier for CC members to select the right ones!

Me personally, prefer to read shorter strategy articles and watching videos containing poker action. However if I ever have more time to read, I would prefer books related about MTT and SNG strategies.