You would accept poker as a school subject?

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
That's why I believe when the subject of using play chips (perfect for kids of all ages!) is raised, many immediately trash it as not being poker. One presumes they dislike the idea of the game they play being diminished - emasculated?

Just curious.

Play chip poker isn't poker. If you're unable to see this I'd have to say that you don't know what the game of poker is about. And why would you know the difference? I think we know why.

A

aleslip7

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Não, mas como uma idéia de ajudar as crianças a usarem a metodologia do poquer para elas raciocinarem melhor sim.

gena31

gena31

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
do you even understand what you are talking about? you want children who are already loaded with school curriculum, who are easily influenced, addicted to gambling. many adults cannot cope with the passion and you want to teach this to children.

psy0nyd3

psy0nyd3

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I find 'poker guy' thinking is frequently bound in a sort of (self perceived) macho gunslinger mentality. That's why I believe when the subject of using play chips (perfect for kids of all ages!) is raised, many immediately trash it as not being poker. One presumes they dislike the idea of the game they play being diminished - emasculated?

The deeper concern with this idea is the lack of women in the game. Not matter how some sites and the industry front an image of promoting women, they barely shift the needle. Many women just do not feel welcome. Again, I would pose perhaps guys feel threatened by their masculine turf being encroached upon by the fairer sex.

So when it comes to the idea of children being taught poker I am just curious if it is that same knee jerk reaction kicking off? If it really is to do with poisoning kids minds or the fact that now kids..as well as women...as well as play chips...are encroaching into manly-man territory?

Just curious.

Even though diversity and inclusion is on a frenzied skyrocket, you're right, mysoginistic macho dudes are rampant. They will always undermine and constantly minimize efforts to bring inclusion into the game. Just ignore that... Half of those guys are gonna be calling stations haha.

Why would any poker player want the other players to learn poker in the public education system? What part of the game are you guys unfamiliar with?
"Yah! I want the skill level of all of my opponents to double! Yah... that'd be good!!"

Umm... no. It'd be stupid.

Ehhh... what, are you in the illuminati or something? Me too!! We must protect the forbidden knowledge brother.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Ahhh, as condescending as ever. You would benefit from reading and actually comprehending before firing off.

Where did I state any school offered poker classes? What I stated was schools would face resistance due to the perception of poker held by parents and likely anyone unfamiliar with poker (though I think the game would be an excellent tool for learning).

Regarding university (you raised game theory) - you are presumably unaware that at Harvard Professor Nesson uses poker to teach strategic thinking. Harvard now boasts Harvard Undergraduate Poker Club. Taking up the baton across the Atlantic, Oxford University is offering degrees in poker studies from this year. Little if nothing to do with game theory.

As I frequently point out, Replay Poker (a site that is an associate of Cards Chat) has over a million members and is a pure play money site. Doctors, scientists, retirees etc. play there. countless people actually enjoy playing poker without investing money. Yup, that's a thing.
So why are you explaining that to me when that is the very point I made in the post above?

By the by, Replay Poker actually encourages underage players to become members with parents permission.

edit-

https://www.winmenot.com/popular/wanna-learn-poker-welcome-to-these-universities/

Perhaps you should work on your comprehension skills... although your grasp of grammar is EXCELLENT (please continue to put it on display for me!).
Where have I EVER stated that I think children playing poker isn't a good thing? I've played poker since the age where I was able to fan 5 cards out with 2 hands and shuffle a deck of cards (maybe 4yrs. old?). My entire family played poker and my mother absolutely LOVED it! But even at the young age of say 8 or 9yrs. old, we ALWAYS played with money involved (even if it was my mother boasting about taking the neighbor's kids change from them). I think poker in the public education system would suck! BUT I guess if they were only playing with 'playchips' they wouldn't really be learning the game anyways so it wouldn't make that big of a difference to the poker community on the whole.

Poker without money involved is not poker. It's a joke. You aren't able to see why so it'd be impossible to explain it to you (even if English Composition was my forte which it obviously is not)

Last edited:
psy0nyd3

psy0nyd3

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker without money involved is not poker. It's a joke.

Play chip poker isn't poker.

Maybe you could explain to them that it's only gambling if there's money being wagered (or perhaps you wouldn't actually have that same experience... hmm.. )

Maybe one more time and you'll be right! :D

We play to win baby.
Z

dzsire

dzsire

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
Absolutely not, poker is not suitable for school. A child/teenager can be more addicted to gambling, I am completely opposed.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Play chip poker isn't poker. If you're unable to see this I'd have to say that you don't know what the game of poker is about. And why would you know the difference? I think we know why.

It doesn't matter how much you pretend poker using play chips is not poker, the fact remains it is. The same cards and the same rules.

It might not interest you but poker played without wagering engages many, and on sites such as Replay many play everyday and enjoy a vast array of games and strive to improve their their personal ranking.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips

It doesn't matter how much you pretend poker using play chips is not poker, the fact remains it is. The same cards and the same rules.

It might not interest you but poker played without wagering engages many, and on sites such as Replay many play everyday and enjoy a vast array of games and strive to improve their their personal ranking. Replay has over a million members - would you contend none of them take it seriously?

D

dgroes

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it would be fun. as a subject no but thinking about sth like a curriculum: learning risk management through gamification. imagine students wont be bored learning all the math behind stats and stuff

srurrr

srurrr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You don't have to teach that. It is your responsibility for your child to lose a lot of money.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Perhaps you should work on your comprehension skills... although your grasp of grammar is EXCELLENT (please continue to put it on display for me!).
Where have I EVER stated that I think children playing poker isn't a good thing? I've played poker since the age where I was able to fan 5 cards out with 2 hands and shuffle a deck of cards (maybe 4yrs. old?). My entire family played poker and my mother absolutely LOVED it! But even at the young age of say 8 or 9yrs. old, we ALWAYS played with money involved (even if it was my mother boasting about taking the neighbor's kids change from them). I think poker in the public education system would suck! BUT I guess if they were only playing with 'playchips' they wouldn't really be learning the game anyways so it wouldn't make that big of a difference to the poker community on the whole.

Poker without money involved is not poker. It's a joke. You aren't able to see why so it'd be impossible to explain it to you (even if English Composition was my forte which it obviously is not)

You asked me...“which schools offer poker classes? I’ve never heard of such a thing”.

I countered and corrected with the fact I had not made that claim and wondered why you were framing the question as if I had? What I had noted was various universities were studying poker from differing perspectives and provided links.

You then ended with “or perhaps you wouldn’t actually have that experience...hmm)

Odd.

Since I joined Cards Chat two years ago I have been completely open about how I came to poker. Which was late from a non-gambling background and after a period of only ever watching the EPT. I then had to learn on line with play chips (and I have yet to play a single live hand). With that underway I then joined Cards Chat and started to play several of the free rolls offered.

If I have never been embarrassed to offer my poker backstory then I would have thought it obvious I'd be fairly indifferent to snark concerning 'my game'. But funnily enough this is the second time I have been condescended to by a senior member. However, after 3K posts, I do not think I have once seriously discussed my game let alone bigged myself up as a player or authority.

I did not travel some manly-men route to get here and frankly hope I never will.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
No definitely should not be taught in schools, There is a reason poker sites ask if you are over 18 and even that is considered too young in some Countries. They don't even teach religious studies in many schools now because of the vast diversity of pupils who may not believe in the same religion, Teaching student's of any age how to gamble would be like teaching them how to get drunk every weekend and bust up bars.
There are many parents that would be horrified if their children were taught how to play Poker in School and I for one would agree with them 100% even though I have taught my own children how to play many Card games when they were young and let them play slot machines while I was there to supervise them, but I am not like all parents, I even let my children have an alcoholic drink at Christmas, which is against the law, but my reasoning is if you make everything they see you do a Taboo which only Adults can do, It becomes even more attractive to them and they will start to do these things behind your back and down back alleys with their friends.
Everything in moderation and under supervision has always been my way of teaching my Children to be responsible Adults and for most of my Children it has worked, 3 of my 5 Children do not smoke even though my Wife and I were addicted to smoking and smoked between 20 and 40 cigarettes a day, Not a single one is addicted to gambling or drinking to excess, even though I taught them both habits at a young age, and I believe that was because I taught them at a young age, it took away the mystery of what they saw as an adult pastime.
It is a parent's responsibility to teach right from wrong and you have to decide for yourself, when you feel they are old enough to learn about such things, NOT! in school, or down some dark alley with their Friend's.

When the fun Stops, STOP!

German629

German629

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think, on this question no the absolutely right answer...:confused: By one simple cause:
because can to develop the gambling dependence with the young age...:rolleyes:
But this is only my private opinion. :smile:

German629

German629

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think, on this question no the absolutely direct right answer...:deal::confused: By one simple cause:
because can to develop the gambling dependence with the young age...:joyman:
But this is only my private opinion. :smile:

lyki67

lyki67

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BA
Chips
I don't think it is a suitable subject for children to stimulate their development. But maybe chess.

W

wizz99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Teach can teach you a whole host of skills that I think can be useful in other tasks and sports.

saha2000

saha2000

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It would certainly be an interesting subject, taught to e.g. manage money.

P

PLAYFUL1

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes poker as a school subject where do I sign up lol:angel:

W

woodeng

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the environment that we live in today is screaming for better education . . . We need our populous to be schooled for intellect, not good times . . .

peaceofcoke

peaceofcoke

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, the first time I studied statistics and probability our teacher used examples from Rummy and Poker 5 draw, so I dont understand your question frankly, do you want it taught as a separate subject? imo that would be outrageous!

Bnobob

Bnobob

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
The Big Game

must be supposed by a teacher

pescaofish

pescaofish

Academic Poker
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
Not a PKR class perse Noup but a a Probability and Statisticss course, the first thing that is teach, Probabiliies of dice, roulete and from there You should infere your odds and outs. :deal:

Mati532

Mati532

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Of course not, poker is not suitable for school. A child / adolescent may be more addicted to gambling.