You would accept poker as a school subject?

aissam18

aissam18

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course i will, i love poker and id love that

K

korbal29

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker should be taught as a psychology course

veltins

veltins

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
JP
Chips
They should teach about money and tax in the school , poker can be an optional sub. Without those lessons , our next generations just want to be 9-5 slaves for life

AjR3ckless

AjR3ckless

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol really tho i don't think they would even introduce this as a subject in schools, maybe an evening institution or something of that sort but not in schools....but hells yeah I would if I had the chance...lol

T

thunder_road

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
game theory

Poker no Game theory yes. Vanessa Russo majored in game theory at Duke. I think she eventually went to law school

B

Backlash

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Horrible idea. This is why we include economics in the curriculum.

C

Cinhos_2000

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
While I do think Poker is a really intelligent game people can learn a lot from, I don't think schools should promote under any circumstance. Many people lose all their money playing it and it can be quite adictive. While I respect people who choose poker as a career or just enjoy playing it, it's still gambling with money.

Gah_JEC_13_Joi

Gah_JEC_13_Joi

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is already, poker is simple math.

Xcoder

Xcoder

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think "Poker" as a subject wouldn't work, I think it would lead to more addicts. However a similar course for money management could have a great, positive impact on our economy.

Rui Ferreira

Rui Ferreira

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
No

No because it is prohibited for under 18s
But it should be accessible even though there are already many courses and a lot of publicity

B

bakang

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not until on line sites start posting they weekly "went to showdown" stats. What a crime machine for a site like cheat on line or bet on lies to rig the deal, so better starting hands only have a 49 percent chance of winning, imo. Fresh off another loss starting with QJ vs a TJ fish, but cheat on line found him the T on the turn. You can't teach the math until the crooks come clean, imo. Come play the 3.50 and 7.00 sit and gos, You'll be broke by sundown.

frazzle1991

frazzle1991

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
JM
Chips
no in general but yes to optional subject at the college level. *With the noted age restriction* (we do have our smart young ones in college :)

H

Hemified

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No. I don't think its important to know in common life, just a sport really. Kids don't manage money well enough either probably. It would lead to more broke kids
.lol. Good luck and remember to have fun.

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
I would even accept so that the child learns early about the challenges of life and how to know how to control a situation in which you can lose money and get lost in life.
Stupid idea, school is for getting an education, and not for playing games.

:top:

ghitocarcia

ghitocarcia

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
The question is not well understood, but it is something that definitely to become better you have to study a lot and have played thousands and thousands of hands to understand what poker is about and of course be moderately intelligent, but taking into account that No matter how good you are, the variance will attack you at some point, and it is necessary to have mental strength to overcome it and move on.

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sure, as an elective for interested folks but not mandatory.

Viper ChipIt

Viper ChipIt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I mean it could be used for a unit in mathematics I guess.

psy0nyd3

psy0nyd3

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
sounds utterly ridiculous

Pretty soon 7yr olds in Grade 2 would be 3-bettting for each other's lunch money & in no time at all, 5 & 6yr. olds would be taking all of the ITM (in the money) positions in all of the Cardschat freerolls. Yearly leaderboards would be dominated (at least for all of the games that end before the street lights go on)

Seriously though... how do you come up with this... umm.. 'stuff' :confused:

Hahaha.

Everyone seems to think that gambling is so addictive and dangerous, if we expose the kids to it all hell will break loose! OH NO!

I don't get it. I'm from a semi-rural, very mormon area, and we still learn dice young, in elementary school. You can't hide gambling. The fact that it isn't allowed makes it even more appealing to our rebellious youth. If you are worried((Not you btw, Orifice)) that the kids are going to fall down into the dark depths of addiction, then then the nature of addiction itself should be the focus, not the behavior or substance. Prohibition never works. Hiding the problem never works. Education is key.

Realistically it would be difficult to justify a full middle school or high school course. I can only imagine the public outrage that would happen. In the minds of some it would be as if the teacher was teaching the kids satanic rituals haha.

But it is awesome to hear about the Harvard poker club!

C

Carlloss

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't believe it is a suitable subject for training children. There are many other ways to stimulate their development. What's more, this can develop a certain level of frustration in children, and instead of being beneficial it can become a serious problem for those who are not emotionally stable.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Hahaha.

Everyone seems to think that gambling is so addictive and dangerous, if we expose the kids to it all hell will break loose! OH NO!

I don't get it. I'm from a semi-rural, very mormon area, and we still learn dice young, in elementary school. You can't hide gambling. The fact that it isn't allowed makes it even more appealing to our rebellious youth. If you are worried((Not you btw, Orifice)) that the kids are going to fall down into the dark depths of addiction, then then the nature of addiction itself should be the focus, not the behavior or substance. Prohibition never works. Hiding the problem never works. Education is key.

Realistically it would be difficult to justify a full middle school or high school course. I can only imagine the public outrage that would happen. In the minds of some it would be as if the teacher was teaching the kids satanic rituals haha.

Yes, I find the dialing up of the addiction threat pretty laughable. Children play any number of card games as it is - Rummy, Go Fish, Crazy Eights. Its all verging on the Footloose...gosh the kids are dancing and playing cards!

But to be honest, gamblers taking a moral view of children playing poker seems something of a stretch.

I find 'poker guy' thinking is frequently bound in a sort of (self perceived) macho gunslinger mentality. That's why I believe when the subject of using play chips (perfect for kids of all ages!) is raised, many immediately trash it as not being poker. One presumes they dislike the idea of the game they play being diminished - emasculated?

The deeper concern with this idea is the lack of women in the game. Not matter how some sites and the industry front an image of promoting women, they barely shift the needle. Many women just do not feel welcome. Again, I would pose perhaps guys feel threatened by their masculine turf being encroached upon by the fairer sex.

So when it comes to the idea of children being taught poker I am just curious if it is that same knee jerk reaction kicking off? If it really is to do with poisoning kids minds or the fact that now kids..as well as women...as well as play chips...are encroaching into manly-man territory?

Just curious.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

Why would any poker player want the other players to learn poker in the public education system? What part of the game are you guys unfamiliar with?
"Yah! I want the skill level of all of my opponents to double! Yah... that'd be good!!"

Umm... no. It'd be stupid.