You would accept poker as a school subject?

tihomir_kula

tihomir_kula

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
Wrere will be the high scchool for poker teachers?

L

lancabcd10

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As a school subject, for children and adolescents, no.
But as interesting subjects for University students, I would have a lot to collaborate.
Using poker gameplay as a stock market would be a good subject, for example.

AizenFalck

AizenFalck

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It would be an excellent class at school, I think it would teach discipline, patience and order in the lives of many, you always have to get the good out of everything. It should also be taught how far to go with the bets so that in the life of adults no one has problems of not controlling their bets or addiction to gambling. Regards.

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
I would even accept so that the child learns early about the challenges of life and how to know how to control a situation in which you can lose money and get lost in life.
It's a good idea, but first, poker should be categorized as not gambling, secondly, presented as not a staple of education and non-compulsory, and then got parents to agree with the idea ;). I think poker will be very amazing as a school subject for students ;)

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Any number of skills can be learned & or improved on playing poker & if you want to use poker as a tool to help your children learn or improve on these skills, good for you. There are a number of pro players who are quite good at teaching these skills, several of them are participants in this forum & many members here have benefited from them.
Would I want a class in poker taught in a class run by members of the U.S. education system, hell no.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
To be frank I think many have missed the mark here because they cannot detach poker from gambling/money.

This is a sore point amplified by those who denigrate 'play' money chips or websites. They see no value in the game without wagering but that fact is millions enjoy poker without wagering. Children could use play chips on and off line and develop real skills. Kids are taught any number of card games as children...from snap, to gin rummy and whist.

Further a version of Bridge was developed specifically for children to learn called 'Minibridge' and this is now widely played across Europe etc. with tutorials available on You Tube.

As I said, if people could actually detach from the (erroneous) idea all poker must involve wagering, the game could grow much bigger by bringing more in at the youth level.

People are actually quite intelligent, as are kids. Some will be drawn to gambling and others not. Kids are taught numerous sports to develop skills - be it team work or how to both deal with winning and losing- and poker could be such an activity that many enjoy for the competition. The benefit being along the way they would develop skills regarding maths and stats without feeling they are having the subjects taught to them.

Last edited:
Johnny78B

Johnny78B

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
Absolutely no! Poker is gambling game we need to be honest. Let them grown up and after they will take a decision do they need to spent money in this game or not. Personally I do not accept poker to be a school subject.

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I have seen a few college with poker as a math/psychology course.

GDubs13

GDubs13

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ha this is a funny question. I think this might be kinda cool as an elective class. I could see there might be benefits to teaching this sort of class as well as possibly some risks. It might be smart to teacher younger people the risks of gambling, as well as the risk of gambling addictions. I think I might support this sort of thing though.

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I would even accept so that the child learns early about the challenges of life and how to know how to control a situation in which you can lose money and get lost in life.

Everything in our lives depends directly on us, not on poker or school. If you blame the school for your mistakes, then you are simply shifting responsibility. Responsible people are always disciplined.
I think children need sports more than poker in schools.

M

mouTAT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It will be hard for kids and teenagers to stick to strategy side of poker even older players get into the gambling side of poker

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

sounds utterly ridiculous

Pretty soon 7yr olds in Grade 2 would be 3-bettting for each other's lunch money & in no time at all, 5 & 6yr. olds would be taking all of the ITM (in the money) positions in all of the Cardschat freerolls. Yearly leaderboards would be dominated (at least for all of the games that end before the street lights go on)

Seriously though... how do you come up with this... umm.. 'stuff' :confused:

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
A long time ago in a similar thread I commented I think poker would be a great learning tool for kids.

The problem being parents and the schools themselves likely would not agree due to the association with gambling.

As far as I am aware a few universities offer poker courses due to the fact a professor is well aware of the benefits (statistics, maths, etc.) and if the school has approved they have proven to be popular.

What schools offer poker courses? I've never heard of such a thing.
I've heard of 'Game Theory' being offered... but never 'poker'.

Maybe you could explain to them that it's only gambling if there's money being wagered (or perhaps you wouldn't actually have that same experience... hmm.. )

D

dregan

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would choose poker only because it teaches you to be calm, assiduous and think ahead. And also takes good care of money.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

It's perfect for us (we homeschool).

:D

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

in my opinion, it would be very silly idea. especially when the schools are mostly exist for doctrination purposes, not educational. They represent a reality to the young kids what most of them never will question, accept it as normal, meantime very far from any meaning of normality.

Probably teach about the control tools like 'law and governments' and 'money, bank system and corporation, tech' would be more important, should put them before most of the 'never will use in the daily life' things, meantime not a real, true word mentioned about them in the 8-18 school years... obviously the why is very clear...

B

BodyCount

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is mandatory. We should also be able to apply to the university with a backgammon game.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
What schools offer poker courses? I've never heard of such a thing.
I've heard of 'Game Theory' being offered... but never 'poker'.

Maybe you could explain to them that it's only gambling if there's money being wagered (or perhaps you wouldn't actually have that same experience... hmm.. )

Ahhh, as condescending as ever. You would benefit from reading and actually comprehending before firing off.

Where did I state any school offered poker classes? What I stated was schools would face resistance due to the perception of poker held by parents and likely anyone unfamiliar with poker (though I think the game would be an excellent tool for learning).

Regarding university (you raised game theory) - you are presumably unaware that at Harvard Professor Nesson uses poker to teach strategic thinking. Harvard now boasts Harvard Undergraduate Poker Club. Taking up the baton across the Atlantic, Oxford University is offering degrees in poker studies from this year. Little if nothing to do with game theory.

As I frequently point out, Replay Poker (a site that is an associate of Cards Chat) has over a million members and is a pure play money site. Doctors, scientists, retirees etc. play there. countless people actually enjoy playing poker without investing money. Yup, that's a thing.
So why are you explaining that to me when that is the very point I made in the post above?

By the by, Replay Poker actually encourages underage players to become members with parents permission.

edit-

https://www.winmenot.com/popular/wanna-learn-poker-welcome-to-these-universities/

Last edited:
tenk27

tenk27

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Subject

Yes, but only when he turns 18+Maybe in college

W

whyfold that

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes because you have to keep you mind sharp and some times it has to do with math so you can put math problems in with poker

NightStalker

NightStalker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I don't think so. Maybe later in college.

M

mtmigmike

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the game of poker does not need to be studied at school, there are enough subjects for the development of children.:)

A

alabos

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
of course not.....its not something that the child has to study young.....and now with the phone he can know how to play by himself

jcxmendes

jcxmendes

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
not if it was a subject of the curriculum but if it was optional yes for those interested!