Re-entry, profitable or not ?

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion re entries is not profitable due to having to spend more money and not knowing if you can make the money.

emanuelorteg

emanuelorteg

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion it depends on the tournament and the bankroll you have, it is always good to buy back when you lose in a bad beat you know it is variance

M

Meroveus

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No simple answer -- definitely a bad idea in progressive knock-outs because you need to cover your opponent to knock them out, so if you re-enter, you'll likely have a rather short stack.

In other tournaments, I like to see how much the starting stack is compared to the current average. If the starting stack will put me at less than half average, I say no thanks

Another thing to check is how deep you will need to run to profit.
If your 2 bullets requires a final table finish to profit, maybe give it a miss

edenman1

edenman1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Im about 50/50 here, your short stacked, but sometimes it works out!

masik6

masik6

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me, re-entry is always bad, so I don't do re-entry anymore.

Swat1197

Swat1197

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Re-entry is a good way to beat dispersion and don't wait another tournaments.

M

MakTrue

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing in tournaments if applies game the I do one buy-in, if not applies the still usually do 2-3 re-entry. When I have a big bankroll, I do re-entry, and when the bankroll is small, regardless of the bad or good game, I do only one buy-in. That's what I noticed, looking at their games for a few months came to the conclusion that I have in the long run the total gain in tournaments is less when I do re-entry, and when I play only making one buy-in in the tournament the total gain comes out more. It turns out that to do re-entry tournaments are not profitable.

Good day!
If the tournament has big enough prize money and a good structure, then I can afford to make 1 or 2 re-entries.
But more I prefer freezeouts !!! :)

dom97

dom97

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it depends on how titled I am for busting. If I rebuy straight away I can find myself loosing that stack again very quickly trying to make up the stack which I just lost. And then we also have ACR where the 5 hour late reg times makes it quite hard not to bust at least once during that time, then I find rebuying near the end of late reg, win 2 flips and you have cashed.

F

fegyo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Re-entries are meaningful only in first levels and not done on tilt.

Bnobob

Bnobob

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
when falling into a tournament with little start time or if you want to get away from the villain

Patoamz95

Patoamz95

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As long as you have discipline and do not use yourself, it is profitable to re-enter in the long term if you have a firm game you will win more times than you lose. Otherwise, if you are going to re-enter to play there and take revenge on the one who took you out, it will never be profitable

1KrazyMofo

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well its better early game as you can punish mistakes, but you can be profitable from any point of entry but I'd rather a less swingy route.

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Re-entry, profitable or not?

I think this is not a bankroll management game. I witnessed a top-reg player making 3 re-entrances and losing $ 75,000 to nowhere.

L

LEV1ATHAN

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If you're close to the money, why not rebuy to try to get into the money?

Because you will be short stacked and will be fighting for 50/50 flips which is more luck than skill based.

S

somersetlad9

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They can be profitable but remember they are different and can get very bankroll swingy

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Re-entry is a mugs game. You are just bloating the eventual pot.

Polytarp

Polytarp

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Re-entry is a mugs game. You are just bloating the eventual pot.
I've re-entered more games successfully making it ITM than not. But you really need to understand your chances before re-investing another ticket or $$. I posted earlier in this thread so I'll just say when I've been busted out due to bad luck..the 5 percenter took me out.., I look at the expected size of the field, the time I expect to keep playing if I jump in again, my break-even ITM goal and the success of the strategy I used up to that point. In such situations I expect to go all-in at least 3-4X and if I can survive those then I'm looking at going for the final table with gamble or playing more conservatively and patiently.

O

Oksana55

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
50/50 if you feel that you will go to the final table then YES.

V

valen_niyee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on the big blind. If its below 15x of the chip. Then you better not reenter

Blurt Reynolds

Blurt Reynolds

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends if you win more than you’ve put in but personally I’m not keen on rebuys as it changes the way people play until the end of the rebuy period and spoils it a bit

Alizona

Alizona

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I rarely re-enter and rarely take the add-on, but that's just my cheapskate personality.

Re-entry is a profit-neutral decision as long as your starting stack size is significant. Re-entering and receiving a 10-big blind chip stack, well, you're not a strategist, you're a gambler (and that's fine, just realize what you are).

Add-ons, I view them a bit differently, being a cheapskate... I can almost NEVER justify doing an add-on except if the fee is very small compared to the tournament buy-in, and that's usually not the case. Usually the add-on is a significant fraction of a full entry fee and thus I pass on it. Buying extra chips guarantees exactly nothing, so I view it as paying something and getting nothing of real value, so I pass on it almost every time.

partz

partz

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes it is, but after the player knows the game otherwise he will end up like the first time and I mean eliminated. Studying the game, understand the basic rules then this questions are usually useless.

horscht22

horscht22

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I think it depends on the blindlevel. If u only have 5 up to 10 blinds when u reenter, than its only bingo...but when u bust in the early tournament buy suckout, than its a good chance for comeback... ;)