Re-entry, profitable or not ?

partz

partz

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This questions repete again and again. I may do a topic and explain the whole thing, as I think it should be done. The question is incomplete like this that's why people keep asking this question, at least that's what I want to believe, that they dont post for the sake of the comment ratio only.

Anyway to get back inside 2x or even more times in a tournament it's usually a risk move and without explaining the whole scenario you're interested in, a standard answer is that getting back in is a wrong move, especially if the buy in price pass more than 10% of the whole account.

J

Jedrey

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Pay reentry? It's a good question, I honestly don't think it's profitable if you pay more than once, like 2 or 3 times. I usually pay only one and if it's worth it.
There have already been some tournaments that were very worthwhile for me.

uri73796

uri73796

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This always gives you the opportunity to continue the fight for the prize money.

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
from my experience i think it can totally be profitable specially if you make a re entry when you bust early in the tournament because as soon as the blinds start to increase your bb will be lower at every level, so i think that making a reentry at the final levels might not be profitable in most cases on the long run, however making a reentry at early levels most likely can be profitable in the long run considering the fact that you might take more risks in order to build a big chipstack early on the tournament and if you succeed you can make a very deep run in the tournament.

nghoffman

nghoffman

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In the early stages, rebuying responsibly is totally fine. You could've lost due to missing a big draw or have taken a bad beat of some kind. As long as you feel that you're playing your best, you should be able to profit eventually.

S

SharkFinn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will only rebuy if it is higher EV than the alternative option of buying in to a new tournament. I play microstakes, fast tournaments (4 hrs max) and I play on multiple rooms so when I get knocked out of a tournament there is always plenty of new tournaments starting that I can enter, instead of rebuying.

When you rebuy you will always have a below average stack, and unless it was a very early knockout you will be a long way behind the chip leaders which is where the majority of the prize money is. The EV from rebuying will always be worse than the EV you had when you originally bought into the tournament. That doesn't mean that the EV from rebuying won't be positive, but it will rarely be as good as the EV of starting a new tournament.

There will be some tournaments that are so attractive (with prize pool much greater than total buy ins) that I want as many shots at it as I can get so will rebuy, but most tournaments are not this unique and I can find the same type of tournament starting in a few mins time. So why put myself at the disadvantage of rebuying into a below average stack when I can instead start a new tournament where I will be even with everyone?

If you play higher stakes, longer tournaments, or on the lower traffic sites then there will be less tournaments available so the choice may be between rebuying or ending your session, then I can see a better case for rebuying.

E

elpolloloco95

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on the structure and especially on the amount of Players left to make it ITM