Re-entry, profitable or not ?

Pimp 007 x

Pimp 007 x

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Re entering can be very dangerous and can potentially deplete your bankroll by a large margin if you're on tilt. n
The best way to manage reentering is by putting a limit on how many bullets per tournament you are allowed to play.

Personally I try to not reenter a tournament, I've had bad exeriences of not even making the money.

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is a case for re-entering.. @ home game..

There is a case for re-entering. Some players play better relaxed, knowing if they lose one tourney, they will re-buy, no big deal; cost of doing poker business. More for enjoyment than pure profit/breakeven.

For example, at a home game, how often do you end up buying back in, from the biggest stack when you are broke?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Re entering can be very dangerous and can potentially deplete your bankroll by a large margin if you're on tilt. n

The best way to manage reentering is by putting a limit on how many bullets per tournament you are allowed to play.

If you feel tilted after busting, it is usually best to not reenter and allow yourself to cool down, while also reducing the amount of tables, you play. One early reentry or sometimes even two can be ok, but after that I typically just let it be and leave the tournament. I also dont reenter, if another suitable tournament has just begun or will start within the next 10-15 minutes.

VictorOd

VictorOd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Re-entries, rebuys, addons are evil in my humble opinion. Even some pro players agree with it :)

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Re-entries, rebuys, addons are evil in my humble opinion. Even some pro players agree with it :)

Daniel Negreanu has been talking about reentry or rebuy in live tournaments, where, he argues, recreational players can often only afford to fire one bullet, but the pros can afford several. So reentry or rebuy tends to make the tournaments tougher.

Daniel did not talk about online tournaments and especially not the micro or low stakes tournaments, which most people play. And of course it makes no sense to claim, that a recreational player cannot afford to rebuy or reenter for 4$. He can and he will, so rebuy or reenter does not make online tournaments tougher.

In my opinion the most true form of tournament poker is the shootout. But a shootout mean, that everybody must pay the blinds and antes from the very first hand. If people can register late, then its not a shootout to me, and then I see no reason to limit reenter or rebuy either.

And realistically poker sites are not going to get rid of late registration. It would be inconvenient for players, since they would need to wait for a new tournament to start, and as a result people would play less tournaments earning the sites less money.

Mortis

Mortis

Skeleton Crew
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Playing in tournaments if applies game the I do one buy-in, if not applies the still usually do 2-3 re-entry. When I have a big bankroll, I do re-entry, and when the bankroll is small, regardless of the bad or good game, I do only one buy-in. That's what I noticed, looking at their games for a few months came to the conclusion that I have in the long run the total gain in tournaments is less when I do re-entry, and when I play only making one buy-in in the tournament the total gain comes out more. It turns out that to do re-entry tournaments are not profitable.

In live tournaments, I won't re-enter more than once if I get eliminated fairly early. Online, it depends on the tourney. Most MTTs I also won't re-enter more than once. The 55c SnGs on the other hand, I have re-entered 4x in one, because those are always going on and wouldn't make much difference if I stopped playing that tourney and played another 55c SnG.

Refinado Tom

Refinado Tom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that when you feel comfortable in a tournament, either because of its structure, the level of its players, the schedule, etc. the re-entry is positive if you get eliminated in a bad play or a bad beat . Obviously I do not understand those players who send all-in in all their hands and do compulsively reentries.

Tunkki

Tunkki

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me it depends alot of the skill level of the players. If it's a bit bigger buy-in and I notice that there is almost only regs in the field I won't take. If there is a lot bad players I will take. Even it's a higher limits of my stakes. Also it depends how many big blinds I will get when I re-enter. It's almost the same as you late reg for the tournament. I always take it like a new tournament.

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing in tournaments if applies game the I do one buy-in, if not applies the still usually do 2-3 re-entry. When I have a big bankroll, I do re-entry, and when the bankroll is small, regardless of the bad or good game, I do only one buy-in. That's what I noticed, looking at their games for a few months came to the conclusion that I have in the long run the total gain in tournaments is less when I do re-entry, and when I play only making one buy-in in the tournament the total gain comes out more. It turns out that to do re-entry tournaments are not profitable.

A re-entry tournament differs from a freezeout in a more rigid field. Serious players and pro are always ready to re-enter at least 1 time. Unlike them, amateurs are less likely to make re-entry, and therefore, after leaving the tournament, they are sent not to the registration desk, but directly to their home. That is why in re-entry tournaments there are more good players when the reentry period ends.
Some people play a reentry tournament as if it were a rebuy tournament. The strategy for playing in reentry tournaments is no different from freezeouts as much as many players can imagine. But this does not stop players from losing games, knowing that they can reentry. Such players want to get a big stack, with which the chances of getting into the money increase. And for this purpose they are ready to go to the ATM several times. We do not recommend you to repeat the same thing in reentry tournaments, but you will always meet players at the table who use this strategy. And, of course, you should always remember this

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A re-entry tournament differs from a freezeout in a more rigid field. Serious players and pro are always ready to re-enter at least 1 time. Unlike them, amateurs are less likely to make re-entry, and therefore, after leaving the tournament, they are sent not to the registration desk, but directly to their home. That is why in re-entry tournaments there are more good players when the reentry period ends.

Once again maybe this is true in live tournaments, but it is certainly not true in online tournaments. If you have ever played an online micro tournament on 888 Poker, which allow rebuy, you will have seen bad players rebuy again and again. Maybe not in their best interest always, but they do it.

S

sweeper21

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't do re-entry. It seems like you are wasting more money especially if you lose. I don't want to waste so much money if I don't have to!

A

adolf3090

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello, I think that the reentries within the tournaments you have to calculate by BB, because if you stay out and use reentry and they are less than 35-50BB you are throwing your money because with less than those amounts you will not be able to develop your game. If you apply that rule and your game is good, you will always enter ITM. GREETINGS AND LUCK AT THE TABLES

Liedust

Liedust

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
It is very rare that I reentry in a tournament, it very rarely gave me good results. Regards.

N

No Bologna

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No Bologna

It depends on how high the blinds are. Early is like starting over. Later makes no sense as you may have only one bullet to fire, 1 and done. Some people go crazy early to double up and if they bust they just rebuy. Double, and their on their way to building a chip stack. Personally I don't care for rebuys. Yes it builds payouts, but it adds a different dimension to the game. Playing in the HPT, I see the pros do it all the time. They can afford it. I feel a freezeout levels the playing field to have an even shot.

B

BatOneHat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Crock

Re-entry tournament are a common topic. So I’ve made my opinion know, I hate re-retry tournaments, I avoid them, but when I do I almost never re buy. Not to say I don’t come in the money once in a while, but for the most part, I think there a crock.

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, I think that the reentries within the tournaments you have to calculate by BB, because if you stay out and use reentry and they are less than 35-50BB you are throwing your money because with less than those amounts you will not be able to develop your game. If you apply that rule and your game is good, you will always enter ITM. GREETINGS AND LUCK AT THE TABLES
Yes, I know, this is the rule I follow, I don't reentry after several levels of raising the blinds. For example, in Omaha, the starting stack is 3000 chips and the blinds are 10/20. I don't reentry when the blinds are more than 50/100.

ramdon p358

ramdon p358

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
The truth is I hate this type of tournaments because it makes many players play more hands than usual since they have that possibility of repurchase, but if we review the tournaments that they offer us daily, most are with rebuys

8infinity8

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I am in a reentry situation, I will most probably decline if its more than 10 levels running. If I get busted in the first 3 levels, I will definitely rebuy. Rest of the times, I debate myself to not rebuy. Once I got so tilted I did 8 rebuys. Good for me, it was micro buy in and I have been very cautious since.

P

panaloto

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

When you re-enter especially near the end of the registration period, you'd already be at a disadvantage since you'd have a low stack.

How far do you usually end up in tournaments? Just compare the prize at those levels with the buy-in. If it's not high enough the leaderboard, you're just losing money. Not profitable.

felipem29

felipem29

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Way of thinking...

From my perspective, it would be not to re-enter, for the sole fact that the way of acting in the game will not be the most appropriate, due to the different types of feelings that arise in those circumstances, which can lead to an immediate failure ....
Very different is when you have played a great game, and you lost by a couple of stupid cards:cool::cool::cool:

B

bigthereal

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sometimes it is useful and can change the whole structure of the game, the problem is u dont when it comes exactly :p

H

Hanosch

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well it can only work if u can take the blow that you just took. If you are steamed, there is no value. If however you caught some bad players you can benefit from, that s a good one. Also of course if there is an overlay (though those reenter options are actually there to prevent overlays anyway....).

cwdignus

cwdignus

Carpe diem
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
will depend on the stage the game is, my performance and the value of re-entry

M

mclay

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I agree,that re-entry is not profitable unless the tournament has a good overlay.If you do even only 1 re-entry, then the minimum hit in the prizes may not cover your buy-in.Conversely, the more re-entries your opponents make, the more profitable the tournament will be for you,if you made 1 buy-in.