Re-entry, profitable or not ?

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing in tournaments if applies game the I do one buy-in, if not applies the still usually do 2-3 re-entry. When I have a big bankroll, I do re-entry, and when the bankroll is small, regardless of the bad or good game, I do only one buy-in. That's what I noticed, looking at their games for a few months came to the conclusion that I have in the long run the total gain in tournaments is less when I do re-entry, and when I play only making one buy-in in the tournament the total gain comes out more. It turns out that to do re-entry tournaments are not profitable.

Gohaku94

Gohaku94

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That is normal. Because you didn't re-enter it means that you did good from the first bullet so making more money even if you just cash it. In the other situation if you re-enter and just cash it's some -$.
Anyway before you re-enter just look at the number of big blinds you will have. If you are ok with that number re-enter. If not, don't.

Loky13

Loky13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it really depends on the avarage stack and phase of the game,it its's late in the game there's no reason to rebuy,you'll have a really small stack. Usually when i plan to make rebuys,i play very aggresively and try to double up quick.

C

charliej

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I really don't like to rebuy but then again if you don't once your out your out. Then what do you do?

C

cheeeer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Maybe good - if you do one. More - looks like spending bankroll.

JBGoode

JBGoode

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My typical Re-Buy rules....

Regular tournaments: 1 buy in, and 1 re entry IF, starting stack is larger then 20BBs.

R/A: always start with double stack, unless you never fall under starting stack. Add-on as long you are not in top 3 after other players add on.

K

KuprinMA

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing in tournaments if applies game the I do one buy-in, if not applies the still usually do 2-3 re-entry. When I have a big bankroll, I do re-entry, and when the bankroll is small, regardless of the bad or good game, I do only one buy-in. That's what I noticed, looking at their games for a few months came to the conclusion that I have in the long run the total gain in tournaments is less when I do re-entry, and when I play only making one buy-in in the tournament the total gain comes out more. It turns out that to do re-entry tournaments are not profitable.
Re-entry are dangerous because you can get dirty :)

Polytarp

Polytarp

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Judgement call based on your experience and comfort level. I've played in some games at PStars (ie. Sunday Million and a few others) where the pros have bought into the game again but not more than that. If you won your entry via satellite (my favorite way) and you have peppered the field with notes on certain players, then you have the potential to work up a strategy to make it into the money...and that's what it's all about.:ahhhhh:

G

Gr1ndah

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
rebuying is like playing a new tournament. if it makes sense than you can do it. but set up a plan before. if you play for example a 33$ tourney and end up wasting much more than threat it at beginning like there is no rebuy. if you have the bankroll than rebuy makes sense unless you have 40bb. everything under that is more like a gamble (but im not referring to turbos or hyper there you should look at the bb's differently)

R

rmcmullen2003

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It sucks when you re-enter or re-buy and you are at 10bb. Fold or shove time and hopefully you can get a descent hand quick and double up. Sometimes that is all you need though a quick double up and maybe a couple more medium size pots then you can usually skate by and get ITM. Most tournaments, on ACR anyway, you barely get your buy-in back through the first couple pay levels so if you re-buy or re-enter you need to make it to the last couple tables to turn a profit.

Tmoney999

Tmoney999

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I am not a fan of re-entering or re-buying tournaments at all. If you can't get it done in one bullet what makes you think your going to get it done in 2-3? Its -Ev to re-buy in tournaments in my opinion. You are basically just building to pot up for the players that have earned their stacks and actually have a chance to win, to battle it out.

You really need to gamble with a re-buy to make it worth it in my opinion and chip up to make it even possible for you to win or get in the money at very least, which might not even equal your 3+ buy ins. I can understand re-buying in spots that might be something like the first 10 hands and you got unlucky, it's early levels still, sure, re-buy then, but a few levels deep in a tourney(depending on blinds to starting stack ratio) seems to be a -Ev spot to me unless your a proven short stack tourney champ, a come from Behind type of player.

Look at your results for your past tourneys and see if there is a difference in results for a single buy in, a single re-buy, or a multiple re-buy. I bet that your single buy-in tourney runs are some of your best tournament runs. If your always relying on a re-buy you are not playing your best game in my opinion, just expecting failure and having a back up plan when failure comes, possibly on multiple occasions. Re-buys are for fish in my opinion, but luck may bring you to do so, so be it, re-buy, just know that it is negative Ev in the long run of the game and that's what were here for, the long run.

P

PLAYFUL1

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Be not afraid of the rebuy if you feel that your luck should turn

1FatChinchilla

1FatChinchilla

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
As a fat chinchilla, I think if you are a profitable player with a high hourly/winrate then rebuy makes sense and is +EV. I see all the top pros online all the time nailing massive 6 figure cashes that they otherwise wouldn't have won if they hadn't done 2 or 3 rebuys. Also think it depends on you're bankroll. Large bankroll + profitable player w/strong hourly + rebuy = +EV

J

June4Spades

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am not a fan of re-entering or re-buying tournaments at all. If you can't get it done in one bullet what makes you think your going to get it done in 2-3? Its -Ev to re-buy in tournaments in my opinion. You are basically just building to pot up for the players that have earned their stacks and actually have a chance to win, to battle it out.
That's true, but if you had a bad beat against a weak player it might make sense to re-buy to stay at that table.

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
My typical Re-Buy rules....

Regular tournaments: 1 buy in, and 1 re entry IF, starting stack is larger then 20BBs.

R/A: always start with double stack, unless you never fall under starting stack. Add-on as long you are not in top 3 after other players add on.

Intresting rules :)

I usually also look at the conditions. There are rare cases when applying late registration, in which you can even get prizes in sit-out )))

1FatChinchilla

1FatChinchilla

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

You really need to gamble with a re-buy to make it worth it in my opinion and chip up to make it even possible for you to win or get in the money at very least, which might not even equal your 3+ buy ins. I can understand re-buying in spots that might be something like the first 10 hands and you got unlucky, it's early levels still, sure, re-buy then, but a few levels deep in a tourney(depending on blinds to starting stack ratio) seems to be a -Ev spot to me unless your a proven short stack tourney champ, a come from Behind type of player.

Look at your results for your past tourneys and see if there is a difference in results for a single buy in, a single re-buy, or a multiple re-buy. I bet that your single buy-in tourney runs are some of your best tournament runs. If your always relying on a re-buy you are not playing your best game in my opinion, just expecting failure and having a back up plan when failure comes, possibly on multiple occasions. Re-buys are for fish in my opinion, but luck may bring you to do so, so be it, re-buy, just know that it is negative Ev in the long run of the game and that's what were here for, the long run.

Guys I see nailing 6 figure scores with 2-3 rebuys on the regular who are Pro Rebuy:

CDarwin2, Probirs, Greenstone25, p0cket00, Lena900, Belabasci, LrsLzk, 1_connor_b_1, BlancoNegro, ImaLuckSac, European, shaundeeb, ImaLucSac, MrTimCaum, lasagnaaammm, MrBittar, Bounatiro, nl_profit, McZhang, Krissyb24,JoaoMathias, TheNerdGuy, ZeeJustin, bencb789, SkaiWalkurrr, Big Huni.

Only pretty much all the top online tourney crushers in the world. I think I'll side with these guys on the rebuy, pretty sure they know what their doing lol. I watch them a lot and they don't always rebuy but they do it pretty often so make of that what you will. Part of that is because of their bankrolls, their hourly, and the fact that the prize pools are very large usually in comparison with their buyins so the size of the prize pool probably factors into the frequency in which they decide to rebuy. I probably see CDarwin2 and LrsLzk rebuying 1-3 times the most frequently and they are absolutely crushing it this year and on major heaters. So make of that what you will.

ZeeJustin just had a 315k score where he did 2 rebuys. European just had a 196k cash where he rebought twice and he rebuys often. Probirs rebought 3 times in a tourney where he just cashed for 54k. GodOfHU turned 2 rebuys of 2k into a 121k cash. LrsLzk/Sami Kelopuro just had a 100k and 60k cash where he rebought twice both times. Like 70% of the time LrsLzk nails a big cash he rebuys 2-3 times that guy is the rebuy king and he's probably the hottest player in the world of online poker right now. These guys are the best online tourney players in the world so I'll side with them on rebuying. Though most people aren't them. If you are a profitable player with a solid winrate, have a healthy sized bankroll for it, and if you grind out a decent size volume then rebuying makes a ton of sense and you should absolutely do it, but if you aren't profitable and if you don't have a healthy bankroll for the stakes you play and if you don't grind out a decent amount of volume then hell no you should never rebuy. Check out all the biggest completed tourneys and watch the biggest tourneys on Stars, you will always see the top players nailing huge cashes with 1-3 rebuys. The majority of top players are big proponents of it.

Last edited:
1FatChinchilla

1FatChinchilla

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Be not afraid of the rebuy if you feel that your luck should turn

I agree that players shouldn't be afraid of the rebuy. But luck shouldn't have any factor in whether you decide to rebuy or not, its Poker not roulette. Whether you rebuy or not should be based on the following factors: You're skill level, how you are playing, you're state of mind (hell no if you just took a bad beat and feeling tilty or spewy), what you're hourly/winrate is, what you're bankroll is, how much volume you are looking to churn out, stage of the tourney in comparison to the starting stack you will get/what average stack is, and the size of the prize pool in comparison to the buyin.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You're right, this is not profitable. I understood this from the very beginning. Honestly, I do not like to play in such tournaments.

Tmoney999

Tmoney999

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Guys I see nailing 6 figure scores with 2-3 rebuys on the regular who are Pro Rebuy:

CDarwin2, Probirs, Greenstone25, p0cket00, Lena900, Belabasci, LrsLzk, 1_connor_b_1, BlancoNegro, ImaLuckSac, European, shaundeeb, ImaLucSac, MrTimCaum, lasagnaaammm, MrBittar, Bounatiro, nl_profit, McZhang, Krissyb24,JoaoMathias, TheNerdGuy, ZeeJustin, bencb789, SkaiWalkurrr, Big Huni.

Only pretty much all the top online tourney crushers in the world. I think I'll side with these guys on the rebuy, pretty sure they know what their doing lol. I watch them a lot and they don't always rebuy but they do it pretty often so make of that what you will. Part of that is because of their bankrolls, their hourly, and the fact that the prize pools are very large usually in comparison with their buyins so the size of the prize pool probably factors into the frequency in which they decide to rebuy. I probably see CDarwin2 and LrsLzk rebuying 1-3 times the most frequently and they are absolutely crushing it this year and on major heaters. So make of that what you will.

ZeeJustin just had a 315k score where he did 2 rebuys. European just had a 196k cash where he rebought twice and he rebuys often. Probirs rebought 3 times in a tourney where he just cashed for 54k. GodOfHU turned 2 rebuys of 2k into a 121k cash. LrsLzk/Sami Kelopuro just had a 100k and 60k cash where he rebought twice both times. Like 70% of the time LrsLzk nails a big cash he rebuys 2-3 times that guy is the rebuy king and he's probably the hottest player in the world of online poker right now. These guys are the best online tourney players in the world so I'll side with them on rebuying. Though most people aren't them. If you are a profitable player with a solid winrate, have a healthy sized bankroll for it, and if you grind out a decent size volume then rebuying makes a ton of sense and you should absolutely do it, but if you aren't profitable and if you don't have a healthy bankroll for the stakes you play and if you don't grind out a decent amount of volume then hell no you should never rebuy. Check out all the biggest completed tourneys and watch the biggest tourneys on Stars, you will always see the top players nailing huge cashes with 1-3 rebuys. The majority of top players are big proponents of it.

It's really cool you know all these guys stats.... not. It might be profitable for these guys to re-buy yes, they are top players that earn a huge living playing the game. It would be plus Ev for them to rebuy. You on the other hand I don't think it would be plus Ev for you to be re-buying all that much unless you have some huge poker wins I'm not aware of. The way you talk about these "online tourney crushers" I highly doubt it. You speak of these cats as there your heroes because they've put the time and effort in to be extremely successful at a game. That's all good, but chill, there not you and your not them. I don't like re-buying and I will stick to that idea, these guys stats spouted off in such a ridiculous manner will not change the way I think. Time may change it but we are yet to see. Cheers:beerglass:beerglass

K

Kolbaskin

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't really see a difference between re-entering and playing another tourney, in fact it is the same. If you do not mind to jump while late registration and have enough bankroll, why not?

M

myquickwit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer re entry to rebuy tourneys. If you take a bad beat you can just start over with starting chips. Not like in rebuy where u just go all in every hand, bust out, double rebuy then add on. It's just a much more fair structure in my opinion.

B1731898

B1731898

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always count on rebuying one time just in case. That way I'm less affected if I get donked out. If it's towards the end of late registration, or I've rebought 2 plus. Times. I usually wouldn't recommend rebuying.

33Elias33

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
IMO the only reasons not to rebuy are:

1) If it's going to be 15BBs or less and you aren't comfortable playing short stacked or

2) If you're on tilt from your bust out.

B

berryryan2488

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the profitability depends on how many players entered the tournament and the overall places paid out to buy-in amount. If I kept buying in just to win less or equal to my initial buy in amount after the bubble, then it is obviously not worth re-buying but if the payout is priced right and you profit slightly or greater than the re-buy amount I'm not only making money but I'm increasing my chances of multiplying those buy-ins significantly. Just evaluate risk vs. reward