Re-entry, profitable or not ?

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you're close to the money, why not rebuy to try to get into the money?

P

pacificatorul

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Imo only if you think you have an edge and are playing in a short field

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer re entry to rebuy tourneys. If you take a bad beat you can just start over with starting chips. Not like in rebuy where u just go all in every hand, bust out, double rebuy then add on. It's just a much more fair structure in my opinion.

I actually like R+A events. You just need to understand, what the correct strategic adjustments are, and they are basically the opposite of, what you suggest. When the add-ons are purchased, the value of each chip goes down, so the end of the rebuy period is almost like a bubble. You want to make it past the rebuy period, and ideally without having to fire several bullets.

People, who dubble rebuy and splash their chips around trying to build a big stack, basically just sweeten the price pool for other players. And this is great, because when other players make strategic mistakes, we profit. On the other side we also profit from those players, who dont purchase the add-on, even they have the option.

And finally there are still some R+A tournaments, where rebuys and add-ons are not raked. More rake is really not better, so if you play on a site, that has those tournaments, you want to play those before higher raked events.

You just need to understand, that R+A events require a larger bankroll. Because of the large number of rebuys and add-ons, a 2,2$ R+A on 888 Poker is really more like a 5,5$ normal tournament and should be seen as an alternative to those.

ScottieDuncan

ScottieDuncan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do one re-buy and that is all

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like CC freerolls because there are no rebuys. If MtCashman could rebuy and addon, forget about it, he would be a perpetual winner :)

Gaviria8

Gaviria8

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you're better than your rivals is very profitable.

X

xy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do this only when the tournament seems soft and if I had been knocked out by some bad play or lucky draw

E

E V A N

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always avoided re entry tournaments until yesterday.... For a dollar buy in, I decided I will play super loose and enter an hour late. This way the blinds were very high and I could shove constantly to try steal the blinds. After stealing four hands I nearly doubled the starting stack and then I began to play properly. I would consider trying this strategy again as it prevented me from needed to rebuy (thus making min-cash positive value)

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you have the choice between re-entry and a similar game fresh from start, the math will tell that re-entry is the worse of the two options.
When the choice is re-entry or go home, it is very different. As others have mentioned: your relative skill in the playing field is one of the factors to look at.

Z

zuk22

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It all depend on your bankroll, skill and tournament structure

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Re-entry is good for the people that make the bubble as most of the money goes to payouts. Like you I only enter one time and I try not to play in tournaments that have more then 30 minute re buys. Most tournaments are very sloppy until the re buys have ended. You are dealt pocket queens and some jerk with 4 K unsuited goes all in because he doesn't care and hits a pair 4´s for the win. Without the re-buy he may not have done that or best case, he does that and is knocked out leaving the real players to continue.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Re-entry leads to a desire for revenge in my opinion. The more aggression the less concentration. Sometimes you have to admit defeat

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am not a big fan of the re-entries, while I dont have numbers on this.....it seems like the better players are the ones doing most of the re-entries, so in a normal mtt the pro may have got bad beat and he is gone, but in a re-entry hes just re-enters.

B

Boreyko506

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I very rarely make re-entry, I think that the distance is negative.

Mendo

Mendo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think rebuying profitability is dependent on the structure of the tournament, the player's ability and mostly the average stack size vs the rebuy stack size at the level buying in.

Rebuying at level 2 or 3 where the buy in stack is 200 BB and the average stack is 210 BB should give just as much equity as your first entry.

Rebuying at level 19 where the average stack is 45BB and you are buying in at 5 or 10BB is not going to be profitable very often. - Obviously

Number of BB's I get and number of BBs in the avg stack are what I look at when deciding if I will rebuy. BTW I won a 227 entry tournament on my second rebuy (at level 6) yesterday.

Last edited:
T

TheChosenDragon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me a re-entry is not done.
In the first place, you have the starting stack again, while all the rest already grow, so you always have a disadvantage.
I'm also too proud to re-enter, if I can't win in the normal way, I don't deserve to win at all.

ArmiSoo7

ArmiSoo7

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
I dont know if it is right, but almost every tournament, when I am making rebuy ir re-entry, than I have better luck . But I like that I can take at least one rebuy in tournament. :)

D

dregan

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do the same as you. I always have a small bankroll because I never have a large one. If I fly out of the tournament I don’t come back again.

M

molokheia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi There

I dont like to re-buy
either you are good in the tourney or forget it
The hands will not change if you re-buy
Then, if you´re out, move to another game
Rgds

Bluffzone68

Bluffzone68

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
I think it really depends on the avarage stack and phase of the game,it its's late in the game there's no reason to rebuy,you'll have a really small stack. Usually when i plan to make rebuys,i play very aggresively and try to double up quick.

I totally agree with that.
check your position and blinds etc...

Branimir84

Branimir84

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HR
Chips
In short, for good players meaning winning regs at the level of the tourney-- yes, re-buys make sense to the degree that they come as a default.

For everybody else, its just sweetening the pot for winning players and the poker site, heh.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I dont like re-buy and re-entry event and dont usually go more than one bullet. This being said I have re-entered events. The one good think is when you get knocked out early and still want to play you still will have a stack that's deep enough to play with. What I dont get is the players buying in with 10BB and sometime less stacks late. Yes you can push and double up but is it really worth it at that point.

T

TheDev

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it basically depends on when you are rebuying back in. If it is right before registration ends it's likely you are going to be starting small stacked against everyone else and fighting uphill. If you are to re enter a tourney I think it should typically only be early on, although I dont really like to re enter into tourneys usually.

H

Hemified

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play the crap out of em because theres always people that all in alot. I like playing no rebuys if I dont want to play for a long time.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Reentering a tournament is exactly the same as late registrering. If you got coolered and stacked in the first few blind levels, there is no objective reason to not reenter. There was probably a reason, why you decided to play that tournament in the first place, and that reason is still there.

Not reentering in that situation is the same as leaving a cash game, because your KK ran into AA after 10 hands, and you got stacked. We should be bankrolled for the games, we play, so firing another bullet at either a tournament or a cash game should not be a problem, when we just got unlucky.

If the tournament has been running for several blind levels, it depends on, if you like to register late and start with a relatively short stack. If you do, then reenter, if you dont, then play the next tournament instead.