***October SNG Thread***

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I recently have a lot more time to play poker. What i'm looking for is someone who is equally committed as i am to improve their game. I'm looking for someone to go over and review spots using a number of tools, so we can push each other to get better. Since most of you guys are americans. I'm generally online in the evening your time. I'm thinking a once or twice a week session lasting 1-2 hours, going over very specific shove/fold spots, bubble play or whatever. If anyone's interested let me know.

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ARGHHHH

PokerStars - $5+$0.50|40/80 NL

Hero (CO): 8,125.00
BTN: 2,184.00
SB: 7,701.00
BB: 1,385.00
UTG: 9,351.00
UTG+1: 1,320.00
MP: 2,697.00
MP+1: 1,310.00

Pre Flop: (120.00) Hero has A K

4 folds, Hero raises to 280.00, fold, SB calls 240.00, fold

Flop: (640.00, 2 players) K T K
SB checks, Hero bets 320.00, SB calls 320.00

Turn: (1280.00, 2 players) T
SB checks, Hero checks

River: (1280.00, 2 players) J
SB checks, Hero bets 640.00, SB raises to 7,101.00 and is all-in, Hero calls 6,461.00

SB shows T T (Four of a Kind, Tens)
Hero shows A K (Full House, Kings full of Tens)
SB wins 15,482.00

PokerStars - $5+$0.50|50/100 NL

MP: 535.00
Hero (CO): 2,020.00
BTN: 1,535.00
SB: 3,095.00
BB: 7,865.00
UTG: 725.00

Pre Flop: (150.00) Hero has Q A

UTG calls 100.00, fold, Hero raises to 450.00, 3 folds, UTG calls 350.00

Flop: (1050.00, 2 players) J 7 5
UTG bets 275.00 and is all-in, Hero calls 275.00

Turn: (1600.00, 2 players) 5

River: (1600.00, 2 players) 9

UTG shows Q 9 (Two Pair, Nines and Fives)
Hero shows Q A (One Pair, Fives)
UTG wins 1,600.00

PokerStars - $5+$0.50|300/600 NL

CO: 12,655.00
BTN: 2,585.00
SB: 9,560.00
BB: 3,860.00
Hero (UTG): 3,245.00
MP: 8,595.00

Pre Flop: (1200.00) Hero has A K

Hero raises to 3,195.00 and is all-in, 4 folds, BB calls 2,595.00

Flop: (6990.00, 2 players) 3 T 5

Turn: (6990.00, 2 players) 6

River: (6990.00, 2 players) 7

BB shows A 5 (One Pair, Fives)
Hero shows A K (High Card, Ace)
BB wins 6,990.00

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ouch Jilly.

And WiZZ, I'd be very interested, I think that could really help me a lot and I'd be willing to do it (although I don't know how much I would help you anyway :p), I just don't think I have the time right now... If I can figure things out I'll let you know...

cardplayer52

cardplayer52

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
WIZ I recently have no time to play poker, but do need the push each other part. I will gladly exchange some HH and would be interested in a group of us. I've been involved in a few groups that fizzled out. If someone could step up(not me no time) to be a group leader and give assignments to be finished by members on there own time and maybe talk about it in this thread. that way even the one who arn't members may be interested to get involved in it. group requirements such as you need to post 2 HH's a month in the HA and make comments on 4 a month to get some kind of group benifit such as a sweat or HH review or what ever. some kind of insentive program for group participation and reward for improving the group I think is needed to keep the group improving.

Rldetheflop

Rldetheflop

Head Ranger
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well started 6 tabling today. It didnt feel much different from 4 tabling managed to get in 36 games(nice for me) up 6+ buy-ins :)

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ouch Jilly.

And WiZZ, I'd be very interested, I think that could really help me a lot and I'd be willing to do it (although I don't know how much I would help you anyway :p), I just don't think I have the time right now... If I can figure things out I'll let you know...
No worries, just let me know when you have more free time.
WIZ I recently have no time to play poker, but do need the push each other part. I will gladly exchange some HH and would be interested in a group of us. I've been involved in a few groups that fizzled out. If someone could step up(not me no time) to be a group leader and give assignments to be finished by members on there own time and maybe talk about it in this thread. that way even the one who arn't members may be interested to get involved in it. group requirements such as you need to post 2 HH's a month in the HA and make comments on 4 a month to get some kind of group benifit such as a sweat or HH review or what ever. some kind of insentive program for group participation and reward for improving the group I think is needed to keep the group improving.

Yeah, probably not something i'd like to do. I'd prefer working 1-1 with someone, chatting about spots over skype, than in a big group setting. More gets done, and a lot of the time it's working on little leaks which are changing a lot of the time, instead of major strategy stuff.

Clambake420

Clambake420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Obviously this would be read dependent. But on general would you guys flat a raise or come in for a re-raise with a hand like this. If your re-raising how much do you like to put in. And when im 4 bet this is a clear fold right? Even if he had AK am i really looking for a flip situation here? I figure hes got to have KK-AA. Cant see a reshove with a weaker pp then QQ

pokerstars No-Limit Hold'em, 1.2 Tournament, 10/20 Blinds (9 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

UTG+1 (t1560)
MP1 (t2430)
MP2 (t1420)
Hero (MP3) (t1440)
CO (t1530)
Button (t1410)
SB (t610)
BB (t1650)
UTG (t1450)

Hero's M: 48.00

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with
qd.gif
qc.gif

1 fold, UTG+1 bets t80, 2 folds, Hero raises to t200, 4 folds, UTG+1 raises to t1560 (All-In), 1 fold

Total pot: t430

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1.20 buy in. raise and happily snap call a shove. He's a random, he doesnt have to have anything here. Flipping isn't something we neccesarily want to do, but against a random 1.20 players range here, we're certainly not flipping.

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hey clam, without any special reads I'm definitely calling this. In my experience the average player at this buy-in is going to have a much wider range than KK+ and AK. I would say 77+ and AJ is more reasonable from your typical bad player, TT+ and AQ from a slightly tighter but still bad player.

Basically I'm getting this in eight days a week, :p

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At this level with a hand I'm willing to stack with I make the 3-bet larger, >3xbet, to make it easier to get it all-in on the flop, so here I'd 3-bet to 300. And yes I'd happily call any shove (absent 50+ hands on the villain)

Bwammo

Bwammo

DragTheBar Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would lean towards a flat, regardless of the level. If they're really that bad and are raising hands that horrible, they will pay you off on the flop when they hit something worse than QQ.

Rldetheflop

Rldetheflop

Head Ranger
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would lean towards a flat, regardless of the level. If they're really that bad and are raising hands that horrible, they will pay you off on the flop when they hit something worse than QQ.

wow I hope I dont get flamed by disagreeing with the expert but how can we not 3 bet this? First off I think flatting just invites others to come along some of which have position on us post flop. also at this level I definitely dont mind bloating this pot here. Also I believe we get paid off more pre by droolers who are in love with their TT or AJ but may not be so after the flop comes.

Last edited:
Clambake420

Clambake420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1.20 buy in. raise and happily snap call a shove. He's a random, he doesnt have to have anything here. Flipping isn't something we neccesarily want to do, but against a random 1.20 players range here, we're certainly not flipping.

ugggh yea great point i always forget that im playing at the 1.20 level. I feel like if i keep playing the 1.20 level for to long its going to hurt my game/reads. I almost hit the all in button, looks like i should of...god when will i become good at this game, haha.

My BR is 50, any suggestions on how to build it. Would it be a good idea to deposit a little more (I cant really deposit enough to make a difference though, would only be able to put on 25-30 right now.) Or just hang in there and keep grinding the 1.20 tables till i can at least move up to the 3.40 where the rake is not killing me. I don't multi-table yet either.

Bwammo

Bwammo

DragTheBar Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
wow I hope I dont get flamed by disagreeing with the expert but how can we not 3 bet this? First off I think flatting just invites others to come along some of which have position on us post flop. also at this level I definitely dont mind bloating this pot here. Also I believe we get paid off more pre by droolers who are in love with their TT or AJ but may not be so after the flop comes.

The question you've gotta ask: is reraising to 200 or something similar really going to isolate this pot? Especially at the lower levels, people quite often call in late position if they have the chips to afford it, and everyone here can still easily afford this.

General thought is when someone raises from UTG+1 they have a "good hand." That means you'd probably expect people to have 99+ or AJ+ on a table full of donks(there are certainly exceptions but we try not to focus on them). 99-JJ we're good against, but if we don't reraise enough we're giving him proper odds to draw to a set. QQ-AA we split with or are way behind. AJ-AQ we're happy against, but still no better than a 65/35 if we were to get it all in right now. AK we're coinflipping against and will almost always reship preflop thusly forcing a coinflip. Also, the hands like 99-JJ that we're actually nicely ahead of and would call a raise, will still probably pays us off on a lot of flops without an A or K.

*edit*

Another thing, we're still really early on in this SNG where everyone is assumed to be bad. Usually the worse the players are in a 9 man SNG, the more reason there is to avoid conflict and large pots and wait a little as they knock one another out.

Logan2

Logan2

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Another thing, we're still really early on in this SNG where everyone is assumed to be bad. Usually the worse the players are in a 9 man SNG, the more reason there is to avoid conflict and large pots and wait a little as they knock one another out.
Kind of disagree, i prefeer to take my chances early vs bad players to get a healthy stack and then relax than wait later when less bad players are around and have more bigger stacks or good players left.(because they do take out this bad players), if we play smart don´t we supossed to have a edge versus bad players?, i mean, don´t we win more early when bad players are still around?, and don´t supossed also to be better to take chances early (because all stacks are still the same) versus later, not saying playing reckless or gambling too much but tacking your good spots.

Also don´t want to get flamed too, but every raise utg+1 we need to expect a good hand?, i can´t talk in higher buyins but for micro not think this is a general expectation.

Last edited:
Logan2

Logan2

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in other things.

Half month in the bag, time to give it a look.

-Volume as been ok aside of some days that not play but still in the road for my goal (300-350), so far 240+ games, so is ok.

-6 days for bronze or 11 for Silver, so both still reacheable.

At this point 9buyins up in the $2´s and 14buyins up in the 5´s.

I add 1 more table since last week, playing 9 now, 4/$2´s & 5/$5´s, will try to add 1 more table next week to end the month with 10.

Rldetheflop

Rldetheflop

Head Ranger
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The question you've gotta ask: is reraising to 200 or something similar really going to isolate this pot? Especially at the lower levels, people quite often call in late position if they have the chips to afford it, and everyone here can still easily afford this.

General thought is when someone raises from UTG+1 they have a "good hand." That means you'd probably expect people to have 99+ or AJ+ on a table full of donks(there are certainly exceptions but we try not to focus on them). 99-JJ we're good against, but if we don't reraise enough we're giving him proper odds to draw to a set. QQ-AA we split with or are way behind. AJ-AQ we're happy against, but still no better than a 65/35 if we were to get it all in right now. AK we're coinflipping against and will almost always reship preflop thusly forcing a coinflip. Also, the hands like 99-JJ that we're actually nicely ahead of and would call a raise, will still probably pays us off on a lot of flops without an A or K.

*edit*

1)yes I think a 3-bet to about 250 should isolate this pot the majority of the time.

2)I agree with this but It seems like we lose a lot of value post flop the third of a time when an A or K does hit and we could get pushed off the best hand here. also a Q hurts us too(value wise against 99-JJ).

Bwammo

Bwammo

DragTheBar Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol for those worried about flaming, don't. People often disagree with my thought process, so it's nothing new to me :)

1)yes I think a 3-bet to about 250 should isolate this pot the majority of the time.

If we're willing to reraise to around 1/5th our stack we should probably just shove and hope he calls with a worse hand. Shoving eliminates any and all chance someone will flat and isolates vs the original raiser. It also gives him the opportunity to make a gigantic error, which bad players tend to do.

Rldetheflop

Rldetheflop

Head Ranger
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol for those worried about flaming, don't. People often disagree with my thought process, so it's nothing new to me :)

If we're willing to reraise to around 1/5th our stack we should probably just shove and hope he calls with a worse hand. Shoving eliminates any and all chance someone will flat and isolates vs the original raiser. It also gives him the opportunity to make a gigantic error, which bad players tend to do.

point taken. I usually dont raise that much its just the idea of being in a 4 or 5 way pot with QQ gives me the willies. :D

Bwammo

Bwammo

DragTheBar Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When we flat there pre, we're just trying to play for a small pot with a big hand, so if we get involved in a 50 way pot that's fine. Just play it small...and avoid losing the sng early on to something silly.

Rldetheflop

Rldetheflop

Head Ranger
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When we flat there pre, we're just trying to play for a small pot with a big hand, so if we get involved in a 50 way pot that's fine. Just play it small...and avoid losing the sng early on to something silly.

gotcha so really we should be looking at QQ more like TT,JJ than AA,KK?

well whatever you do works so I guess that pretty much should quash any debate.

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I really cannot focus on my Kinetics homework with this baseball game on. Yankees are already down 3-0, only 1 out with runners on 1st and 2nd. :D

Bwammo

Bwammo

DragTheBar Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Go Rangers!!

And yeah QQ is much more like JJ than KK in this spot

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
very interesting discussion I'm seeing on the QQ spot btw. I agree that AA and KK are in a different category than QQ, but I don't know if it's always as weak as JJ either. What conditions would have to change for us to 3-bet?