***January SNG Thread***

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
@Oz, are you trying any new strategy? ($1)

Erm... no, not really? I've played a few $1 PLO STTs in the past few days for lulz / academy credits though.

Juniorsdaddy

Juniorsdaddy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've played about 50 Turbo STTs this month, and I am actually down just a little on the month. A lot of 4th and 5th place finishes, so I don't know if I am too aggressive too early or if having 3 STTs going at the same time with only 4-5 players left is affecting my decision making. Going to try some non-turbos and see how I fare in those.

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've played about 50 Turbo STTs this month, and I am actually down just a little on the month. A lot of 4th and 5th place finishes, so I don't know if I am too aggressive too early or if having 3 STTs going at the same time with only 4-5 players left is affecting my decision making. Going to try some non-turbos and see how I fare in those.

That's the reason for your downswing, just variance :(

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

If you feel like having too many tables open is affecting your decision making then definitely drop one of them - stick with just two or even one until you're comfortable and then move back up. Adding tables is great for your volume and your $/hr once you're confident with them but if you're not ready they'll just be a liability.

L

Lofwyr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm trying to expand my game. Variance of the 180's has been really killer lately so I played some HU-SnGs just to remind myself what winning $ feels like. I actually really like HU...I need to work on my game a bit but I feel like it's a place where I am definitely better than most players in the $11.5 turbos. One game averages like 12 minutes too, so volume is easily accomplished. Multi-tabling them is a bad idea though. I 2-tabled the first session I wanted to try and immediately realized I need to just straight focus on a single HU match at a time.

The 18-man turbos also seem okay. I might try to hone my short-table skills and play that battle of the planets thing. I wonder if HU matches count in that?

Anyone else have experience with HU games here? Any particularly helpful threads/videos you know?

As an aside...any PLO stuff would be cool too. That game just seems soooooo juicy!

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How many tables do you sng grinders play? And how many games do you get in a month? Any of you play like 2K games a month and 30 table?

Tom Goldberg

Tom Goldberg

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Was just wondering is it worth signing up for the rakeback, how much are the sng grinders gettin back each week/month from rakeback? I know that sounds silly question and your all thinking yes it is worth it but the reason I ask is I already have an account with FT but havent signed up for rakeback so was considering moving to PS in order to get it! What would you guys suggest

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Was just wondering is it worth signing up for the rakeback, how much are the sng grinders gettin back each week/month from rakeback? I know that sounds silly question and your all thinking yes it is worth it but the reason I ask is I already have an account with FT but havent signed up for rakeback so was considering moving to PS in order to get it! What would you guys suggest

If you haven't signed up with an affiliate yet you can get 27% rakeback through rakebackpros. Just send an email to FT support and they'll hook you up. It might take a while though so just keep emailing them, and shoot an email to rakebackpros too - you might even want to make an account there before you get rakeback.

btw you can't get rakeback on Stars per se, you can only score cash through their rewards program, which is actually pretty good. But you're probably better off with 27% rakeback on Tilt.

How many tables do you sng grinders play? And how many games do you get in a month? Any of you play like 2K games a month and 30 table?

I got up to 10 when I was actually playing a ton, now I'm probably more of a 6-tabler since I've got a lot of rust and no BR :( I've never come close to 2K games unfortunately, not sure who here has done that sort of volume.

O

onemorechance

live free or die
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing 16 tables atm, but it'll be more when I move over to Stars, hopefully closer to 30. Hoping for over 1k games this month, won't get near 2k.

Tom Goldberg

Tom Goldberg

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks alot for the advice bro, much appreciated man! I will sign up for rakebackpro now! was just wondering what I should put in the e-mail to rakebackpro and FT??

L

Lofwyr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This discussion of rakeback got me pondering how the stars program compares. At 27% base rakeback you need to be a Supernova on stars to really get comparable rakeback percentage wise. I guess you can get something similar from getting platinum star if you add in the various 1-time bonuses you hit. Kind of sucky.

Yet, people say the stars program is better if you do a lot of volume. So from there, I decided to see how much money could be made getting to be a stars Supernova elite. Assuming the base 1fpp/1vpp to get to Supernova and the 3.5fpp/1vpp from Supernova 100k-Elite 1M you wind up with 3.25M FPP on the quest from mensch to Supernova Elite. On the way you get $44400 in milestone bonuses. Then that 3.25M fpp turns right into $52000. So, if you can play perfectly break-even poker after accounting for rake you can still earn a 6 figure salary if you volume enough on stars. Kind of cool :D

All that sounds cool, but the total investment to hit Supernova Elite is $181818.1818...so you better play at least decently to not be in a huge hole trying to get there! However, on stars you get ~$100k for that rake investment, on tilt @27% you get $49090 for that investment.

/random tangent

Juniorsdaddy

Juniorsdaddy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you feel like having too many tables open is affecting your decision making then definitely drop one of them - stick with just two or even one until you're comfortable and then move back up. Adding tables is great for your volume and your $/hr once you're confident with them but if you're not ready they'll just be a liability.

I have had a good amount of success 3-tabling at non-turbo SNGs. However, they take considerably longer to play, and I can only play a few hours a few nights a week. So, I experimented with multi-tabling turbos to try to increase volume.

Some variance is responsible for the downswing, but then there were also games where I had a comfortable chip stack only to find that I nitted them away without paying attention. Tonight I 4-tabled non-turbos, and I had much better results. Non-turbos move just slow enough for me, even at the higher levels.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I'd hardly call myself a grinder but I play eight tables and get maybe 500-600 games in a month at the moment.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I play 20-25 tables max. In a month i never get that many in, maybe around 800-1000 a month.

Pascal-lf

Pascal-lf

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing the $2 On Demands on Full Tilt, about 250 runners in each with 27 paid.

Just made final table for the 2nd time, bubbled $2 OD final tables 3 times this session! :(

Need to do well to save the day!

P

pat3392

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

It depends on a bunch of factors, like my alertness/how many final tables but atm I'm playing 18-25 games at one time. Been getting in 1k-1.5k volume in but should increase to 2.4k each month, putting in longer session=less time loading up. I know of one guy on another forum who 40 tables and has 4-5 hour sessions, insane volume i'd imagine; some guys are getting like 600 games a day wtf

google bank pokerstars rakeback and there's a link that has the corresponding rakeback values; platnium is 16.3%, supernova 26% I think and gold 10% I think. Pokerstars offer less rakeback for people with little volume but I noticed that Full Tilt charges a heck of a lot more rake than stars

I'm trying to expand my game. Variance of the 180's has been really killer lately so I played some HU-SnGs just to remind myself what winning $ feels like. I actually really like HU...I need to work on my game a bit but I feel like it's a place where I am definitely better than most players in the $11.5 turbos. One game averages like 12 minutes too, so volume is easily accomplished. Multi-tabling them is a bad idea though. I 2-tabled the first session I wanted to try and immediately realized I need to just straight focus on a single HU match at a time.

The 18-man turbos also seem okay. I might try to hone my short-table skills and play that battle of the planets thing. I wonder if HU matches count in that?

Anyone else have experience with HU games here? Any particularly helpful threads/videos you know?

As an aside...any PLO stuff would be cool too. That game just seems soooooo juicy!

HU games are pretty fun. They got a bit boring for me but still a blast. I could give heaps of strategy stuff but don't want to write an essay. There's lots of videos for them but none are particularly useful, at least what I've found because HU is so villain dependent. Good to see ones thoughts though. There's lots and lots and lots of stuff on HU play at 2+2; there's a very good HU guy who is always lurking in the HU forum over there, pretty good community.

EDIT: btw, I reconmened everyone practising HU; it teaches people to open up their game/recognise weakness and attack!! + more importantly it's so beneficial at the end of the SnG. Many people have no clue HU. The fish face it with passivity, typical regs by following nash equilibrium, some even at 15bb

Last edited:
T

Tangerine 53

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks alot for the advice bro, much appreciated man! I will sign up for rakebackpro now! was just wondering what I should put in the e-mail to rakebackpro and FT??

What worked for me and one other guy on this forum who I advised was as follows.

Write to FT support giving them your FT name explaining that you're expanding your game and about to put in more volume and would like to start receiving rakeback through their affiliate, rakebackpros which will assist in your poker development. Keep it polite and friendly. If all goes well you should receive a mail back saying they have passed your request on to rakebackpros who then normally write to you within a week.

Whatever your volume you should be requesting this as it's free money effectively. I'm only a recreational player but have received over $20 back over time. Bear in mind that there are some on this forum who haven't been able to get rakeback for some unknown reason but many have. Good luck.

Tom Goldberg

Tom Goldberg

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks Tangerine, I have done exactly what you said so Hopefully I will hear back soon :)

L

LRRaymond

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Being very patient listening people suggestions,and hoping to join the group soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
O

onemorechance

live free or die
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just been 3 handed in a 6 max turbo, blinds are 250/500, I'm bb. BTN folds, sb with like 600 left limps, I shove K2 and he proceeds to tank fold while calling me a 'phucking pussy moron'. I lol'd

In other news, I'm running like shit :)

Pascal-lf

Pascal-lf

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Having to do coursework but really want to play, sucks! :(

Reading this thread in the vain hope it will make me finish quicker so I can get back with improving my game, MT SNGs are great fun :)

JMTalbert

JMTalbert

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am making a return to CC and poker here in 2011 and have found that the STT SnG's are where I tend to spend a lot of my time. I do play anywhere from 2 - 5 tables at a time, and find that can get pretty busy with the tables popping up on top on each other and the alerts dinging!

How do you people manage 25 - 30 tables at a time and is it really more profitable? I find that once I go over four tables, I am making decisions based mostly on the cards and less on the table dynamics and opponent tendencies.

Are you using HEM or some other software to help you read the situations or are you simply playing position and odds/cards?

JMTalbert

JMTalbert

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh, and to answer the question about rakeback above:

I registered with FTP back in 2005 and about a year or so ago learned about affiliates and rakeback and the option for existing members to use rakebackpros. I may have learned about it here! I emailed both FTP and RBP and about a week or two later I started to get weekly Friday deposits to my FTP account!

I started off getting change or a dollar or two. That is when I was playing a few $1 SnGs. Now I am much more addicted...errr... dedicated to the game and have also moved up in stakes. Now, my weekly bankroll supplement is between $10 - $15 and I even got $18+ for the week between Christmas and New Years!

Glad to see you signed up. It is like free money! I believe that it helps to make the difference up between my weak game and keeps me just inside the black...or from going too far into the red!

Tom Goldberg

Tom Goldberg

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks JM, I emailed both on sunday! FT have replied and said they have forwarded my details to rakebackpros, how long till I hear from rakebackpros? Also How long do you think till I receive my first rakeback?