$12 NLHE STT Turbo: 99 vs three-bet shove preflop

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In a way this one is the opposite of the JJ hand I posted a few days ago. No special reads on villain, what I'm trying to nail down is the range the average player makes this move with and the range we can profitably call with.

I figure just like a small but committing raise in this spot is almost always KK+ this is almost never a big pair because they'll probably raise smaller for "value". Big aces and medium pairs are prime candidates but how far does the average villain's range stretch in this situation? And what's our action with 99? How different is it if we're holding TT, or if there's only five players left rather than eight?

full tilt poker $11 + $1 No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t40/t80 Blinds - 8 players
DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

BTN: t1700
SB: t1325 (16.56 BBs)
BB: t1800
UTG: t1530
UTG+1: t1365
MP1: t1450
Hero (MP2): t1615 (20.19 BBs)
CO: t2715

Pre Flop: (t120) Hero is MP2 with 9
club.gif
spade.gif

3 folds, Hero raises to t210, 2 folds, SB raises to t1325 all in, 1 fold, Hero wonders WWKLD?

L

Lofwyr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's fairly villain dependent. I'd think the average loose-passive fish is doing this with AT+, and like maybe 66-JJ or something. Maybe throw KQ in there too. More aggro fish are obviously wider and more passive fish might be nitty enough to make their range completely own 99.

Unless the villain is particularly tight, my instinct is that you have to call here.

I'm not too sure on STT 3betting ranges though. In an MTT a good player could be shoving there with like 89s and would probably shove QQ-AA instead of a fishy min-raise with them.

5-handed is a big-time ICM thing so I'd assume it's a fold much more often? Don't quote me on that...ICM and I aren't on the best of terms.

the lab man

the lab man

CardsChat Irregular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This hand has been a tough call for me as well, yet at what level are we auto calling this QQ + yes, JJ probably so how much of a difference is there in my mind between Ts and 9s. I see no diiference between our range of 9s or Ts( wish I was better at expressing how I think)

I can put villain on medium pairs + to Any large Ace, I call here more than fold,but agree not big pairs

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm folding here, with such small blinds right now I'm assuming this is still relatively early and most STT players who push this early are looking to double up with AK, QQ+ as I have seen this move too many times where the push was actually KK+.
I'm folding here, there is no way I want to gamble this early TBH.

T

Tangerine 53

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
From my experience the average range here would be AJ+, 10 10+, particularly this early in the STT. I use the word 'average' wisely as I've seen (as I'm sure we all have) some really wide and bizarre ranges also.

Like Shinedown this is too early to be risking 99 against this range for me so I would fold.

Bwammo

Bwammo

DragTheBar Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From my experience the average range here would be AJ+, 10 10+, particularly this early in the STT. I use the word 'average' wisely as I've seen (as I'm sure we all have) some really wide and bizarre ranges also.

Like Shinedown this is too early to be risking 99 against this range for me so I would fold.

+1

That's a pretty accurate range unless the opponent is psychotic. With no information on the player this is an easy fold for me