How to reduce the luck element in poker?

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I believe that it is only a matter of your patience, skill and experience. In any case, it's all up to you and if you are disciplined enough, you will be a profitable player in the long run.

L

luki_jakdo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In MTT online tournaments, lot of time you are playing with players who have no idea of pot odds or any other theory, they just bet all in and get lucky at times. How do you play against these players?
I think you should just not call all ins unless you have a monster hand. Had this situations way to often so I think I know what I am talking about.... I mean i use this method for 1 month now and it really helps me out a lot. ;) Good Luck mate

Y

yuurepoer

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can always choose not to play at all..

.. That way you completely eliminated chance altogether !! ;)

kkuk

kkuk

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
hi.luck in poker is easy to reduce-do not play it.)and the question is not very clear.why reduce your luck?)

KozakAlex

KozakAlex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In MTT online tournaments, lot of time you are playing with players who have no idea of pot odds or any other theory, they just bet all in and get lucky at times. How do you play against these players?

I'm such a player myself. I don't use any programs. I know a little theory. Think about it, if everyone plays according to the rules of short bets, bankroll, Aha, here I increase by 3 times, and here I reset, what will happen to poker. Although in General, this is exactly what I am seeing now. The old poker game is dying now, like chess. What should I do with them? Wait until you have a good hand and build up the stake at their expense in MTT or bankroll in other types of poker.

tihomir_kula

tihomir_kula

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
If I knew how,I shall be the next wcoop champion!

Liedust

Liedust

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
The only way to decrease the luck factor in poker is to always favor the odds ... how? playing good hands, although with the cards on the table luck will always remain an impossible factor to master. Regards.

7CardKillR

7CardKillR

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sadly, variance doesn't give a crap about how "good" a player you are.

Lenka65

Lenka65

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
opinion

There is no luck in poker. This is a convenient myth. Poker is like life. It all depends on how patient and balanced you are.

L

ludinj

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Eassy Play less hands and when you do play bet hard

Gaviria8

Gaviria8

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It doesn't matter if the get lucky somethings, poker is about long run

P

Phyrrura

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that the better you pay attention to your opponent and play against them with that, they will rarely doubt you, and the doubt on you makes them play bad hands and get lucky with them.

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course, it is impossible to completely eliminate the element of luck from poker, but it can be reduced by trivial discipline, excluding hyper and turbo tournaments from the tournament grid, good br and of course high-quality play

V

valen_niyee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Analyzing your own game is the best way to stop a Downswing. By studying the shortcomings in their strategy, the player can improve it and make it more profitable. This can cover losses due to failures and allow you to play for the future again, making a profit. You can't let bad luck Rob you of your poker profits!

At first without bank roll strategy, i bust my bankroll in 1 months( win and lose). After learning a bit about poker and bankrolling. Slowly but sure my deposit money can last for 4 month. The rollercoaster is stop. But slowly but sure still losing money bit by bit. So still can’t too sure about making profit in poker.
But one tips that i still cannot follow is dont play in micro game. But isn’t thats whats the marketing? Dont play in micro so we should deposit more money to the game. And the big sharks will bite us again. Lol.

B

BodyCount

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can't reduce luck in poker(AKo is always dominating 54s 7:5 for example). You can reduce only the variation by playing large number of hands/MTTs. Think in the long run.

Kenosavage_TX

Kenosavage_TX

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Lol just keep studying and playing. MMT poker imo is hardest form of poker. Just keep playing build your own ranges according to stack size, position, stages in tournament etc. There really is no way to factor out luck. I’ve final tabled tournaments where i never had AA, KK dealt to me, and ive been eliminated by going all in with AA and KK multiple times. It’s just the game.

Nr98

Nr98

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can always choose not to play at all..

.. That way you completely eliminated chance altogether !! ;)

Literally the only way ;)

Though in all seriousness, try not to think of it in terms of luck, but rather as variance. The decision is what matters, and yes sometimes it does not work out, but that's okay. If you start to play in a way that reduces variance you're leaving too much money on the table.

Some of comments in this thread suggest not calling all ins except with monster hands for example. Variance in MTTs is brutal, but if you're not willing to go for plays that are clearly +EV (considering ICM ofcourse) you'll never become a player who crushes the stakes they're playing in. You shouldn't be looking to reduce variance in your play. Rather, you should be asking yourself if you are properly rolled for the stakes you play if you care about this. Passing up a clear +$EV play because an opponent may get lucky doesn't make you smart, it makes you a nit tbh.

Rather, I'd advise to play around with some tournament variance calculators to get a good grasp of how big the swings can be and adjust your bankroll management plan accordingly. You won't be afraid of swings if you got a proper roll to back up your plays. Go get them mate :D

C

chinezu23

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't play crap hands and expect to win.

D

dlam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Reduce Luck factor?
Get in with pots with someone that folds their blinds a lot
Don’t be afraid of calling a bluff at the river if the story doesn’t make sense
OthersWise it’s luck.
Even AA preflop , there is a 30% of a suck out
So have you have to be mentally prepared when you are ahead and fall behind or lose at the river Going all in preflop

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips

This happen mostly at the freerolls, where a massive number of players play just for fun, for gambling. The problem is not that only one player (gambler) has luck over you (for these 'opponents' have a short life in the game), is that many of them match their hand over you, if you insist in fall in temptation.
We cannot get rid of these games type, but play our 'A' game and wait for the later stages, where the most gamblers are out, is the best solution.
GOOD LUCK!

P

pvenditto88

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the short term luck is very much a major factor in poker. If you want to eliminate luck in poker you must put in massive ammounts of volume.

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ultimately the only way to do this to increase the amount of times you win the pot without getting to show down.