How to reduce the luck element in poker?

S

Snake2007

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Luckily, last night I lost 2 hands in a row with AA, I don't say anything anymore.

FlushyFab

FlushyFab

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
What the next thread how to stop the sun from rising?

Claudiunm

Claudiunm

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Always try to play tigth. And don't be afraid to bet when you enter the game.

M

mclaughlinph

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
learn the math and percentages of situations you can have with the board and your hole cards.

B

baykoshkar

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play tighter. All in put hands: AA, kk, QQ, AKs

A

andrezito38

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
these are the guys who have increased your stack and will make you go further, watch what they are doing and adapt your game, when you realize you will have all of his chips, and the game will return to normal pace. and if it's not you, someone else will have his chips, so work to be you.
gl friend

Scooopy

Scooopy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to devote more time to your game, but in poker without horror, too, in any way. But at dtsyaniya all the same skill wins

K

Kraanjhb7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tourny's with blinds that takes longer. And patience.

D

dlam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Play less hands
I once played in six hour tournament out of 50 players where I placed 3rd playing just six hands to showdown The rest of the time I was stealing blinds. Let the agressive players battle and KO each other out. Of courses I was short stacked all the way through but managed making money ��

H

Hemified

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good luck dont mean crap..lol. I mean if you earn it. Luck is not given, it is earned. That said i think it has more to do with experience and practice. The more you practice somthing the better you get at it.

D

dlam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I see so many players knocked out in tournaments getting in good preflop only to have BB as the favorite. That’s the way it goes. When the skill is equal it’s up to luck.

horscht22

horscht22

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
U cant eleminate or reduce it, its your enemy or your friend...depends on your hand ;)

V

valanddon

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Luck is hard to play against, but I am sure we all have hit a lucky
card to win a hand. Bad beats are part of the game like it or not.

P

pipayura

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I first look at which player is bluffing with which cards. Then I wait for the moment to catch him. Of course, this does not always work out, but in general it is easy to beat such people.

C

chalghaf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
definitely by learning Poker , studying and keep being updated on all the new stuff that is coming out and most importantly Playing A LOT of poker hands cuz when u follow the "guidelines" and play huges amounts you reduce the luck factor . but for someone that isnt seeking a professional carrer in poker its really hard to be that committed to learning poker . and still with with all that being said , luck always gonna be there haha

funnyhook3

funnyhook3

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In a game with high dispersion, luck is the only thing that can give you victory. No amount of skill will help here. Especially in online poker

M

Maggio_A

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What the next thread how to stop the sun from rising?
hahaha :D seems like, honestly dont know how to reduce luck element, you should be happy when its on your side and run away when it is not :D

S

suitedsadness

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You let them try to get unlucky. Their issue is that they will always lose over a large sample, and you will always win. You just need to ignore short term results and look to the long term. (assuming you are profitable)

Radi

Radi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Really hard, you need to have some strategy, hand you will play and not play, avoid some players which have only luck and nota skill. But the luck is part of the game so you cannot fully remove it.

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In MTT online tournaments, lot of time you are playing with players who have no idea of pot odds or any other theory, they just bet all in and get lucky at times. How do you play against these players?
Variance is the difference between how much money you expect to win in the long run on average and the results you see in the short run. So, for example, if, according to your win rate, you expect to win an average of $ 500 per month, but end up losing $ 1000 instead, then this failure of yours is due to variance.Let's say you are playing heads-up against a crazy maniac who shoves every hand. Moreover, by pure chance or by magic, you are dealt pocket aces 5 times in a row. Obviously, you are pushing your pocket aces all 5 times preflop.Against any random hand, AA has an 85% chance of winning. Therefore, we expect to win roughly 4 of 5 of these preflop all-in, although ideally we would like to win every time. However, you ended up losing all 5 preflop all-ins against your opponent's five random hands. It seems unlikely, but still it happened. On average, you expected to win 4 out of 5 of these preflop all-ins, but due to variance, you never won. As you can see, the variance is the difference between the expected long-term results and the actual results in the short-term, in this case the “price” of the variance was not much, not a little, but as much as 4 buy-ins.

johnnylawford

johnnylawford

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In MTT online tournaments, lot of time you are playing with players who have no idea of pot odds or any other theory, they just bet all in and get lucky at times. How do you play against these players?

I think what you're asking is how do you control variance during MTTs? The key to tournament play is to balance your risk based on stack size. The smaller a stack, the wider you have to go all-in, so reducing variance means balancing what you are willing to risk everything with versus your risk of running out of chips. The bigger risk is playing so tight your opponents can just bluff you off of marginal hands, which is why trying to reduce variance isn't the best goal, versus recognizing and accepting positive expected value spots even if it means you might lose sometimes.

ivanlt18

ivanlt18

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You should be patient, and wait for your opportunity to kick those "all in" people out of the table. My advice would be play as few hands as possible.

K

korbal29

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Have a good read on your opponents, maximize your profits when you hit a good hand and reduce yourlosses by avoiding borderline calls