How to reduce the luck element in poker?

Lenka65

Lenka65

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
opinion

Everyone here talks about the long-term perspective in poker, but you want to live beautifully right now. In general, I think the factor of luck and randomness in poker cannot be avoided. Did you know that there are people who play only once in their life, but they shout at everything at once.

R

redsfan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can never eliminate luck in poker.In small buyins and free rolls,luck is very important.To me if you wait for good hands,know how the other players at the table are playing,you will win more than your share of hands.There will be bad beat,and some times alot of them,because of the stakes that your playing,but that is part of poker.

S

samsonand

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So how could we calculate that probability of luck in each hand because a bad beat always knocks down the play at the best moment

W

winnie1993

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should not play for last money to not be afraid lose any pot. If you have enough buy-ins in future it is not so horrible.

B

BodyCount

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
By playing the right cards on the right position with right odds.

B

BoonDockPoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lucky Rabbits Foot
4 Leaf Clover
Leprechaun
Lucky Shirt
Lucky Hat

Seriously Can not reduce it. Odds are Odds.

Best option is betting to make sure they are making the wrong decisions. Will work out in the end. Think LONG TERM not short term. Hell AA wins about 85% of the time vs 1 opponent preflop. That means AA loses .75 times out of 5 hands. But vs 9 opponents pre it drops to about 50% so thats 2.5 times out of 5 hands...

If you bet and allow others to make right calls odds will catch you from time to time. But can also increase your odds by betting. Worst case you will 100% when everyone else folds.

E

eagleaces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
GTO

In MTT online tournaments, lot of time you are playing with players who have no idea of pot odds or any other theory, they just bet all in and get lucky at times. How do you play against these players?

Play gto if someone shoves and you call with the best hand trust me itll feel like you lose more than you win but you win more. Stay in position and dont call allins weak. Be the aggressor and never slow play at lower levels. only trap when you got a hand that is hard as hell to beat. if you gonna shove and you think your opponent has a draw make sure you always get it in on the turn very rarely you shove the flop. Be prepared to fold kings and queens to ace or king boards. watch out for check raises from idiot labeled players. Try to remember all the things you learned and apply them. NEVER PLAY OUTSIDE OF YOUR STRATEGY JUST CAUSE YOU TILTING OR BORED. PRACTICE MAKES IMPROVEMENTS.

edenman1

edenman1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Either you have luck or you dont. Sometimes I have luck, sometimes I dont :)

4kingwildo

4kingwildo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
u need "how to catch luck in three days" book)

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hard to reduce luck but if you can try to avoid being in all-in situations because essentially its a coin flip even though you are a favourite.

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Have other layers with skin in the game..

If you are playing large number of entries, MTT, the luck factor is part of the game; have to allow for x % of all-ins.
To lessen the all-ins, players need incentive not to go all in, as in, losing actual money. I suggest small buy-in MTT's , just to get a feel for how players play when actual money is at stake, not a freeroll, where there is no incentive to playrealistically, since you have nothing to lose.

Kenad_MNE

Kenad_MNE

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
dont play tournament, only cash games without too much all ins