How to reduce the luck element in poker?

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The more tournaments you play, the more likely that your actual ROI reflects your earned ROI. So, put concisely, the number one thing you can do to not be effected by luck (in either direction) is to play a large volume of tournaments.

N

No Bologna

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No Bologna

Can't be done. Fold every hand?

S

sn0112

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To counter you can wait for better cards (AA, KK) before calling an all-in. Or make sure you are first all-in with good cards - you'll find they call with junk. This isn't guaranteed for every situation, so perhaps fold a few hands and observe the tendencies.

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
from what I have studied, I am convinced that luck does not exist in poker ... it is a matter of handling mathematics and calculating your odds ... some are surprised when they lose with AA ... and people who have studied know that even AAs have a percentage of losing called variance ... however many people when they lose with AA say they are unlucky ...!
Now if you learn to read your opponents apart from math, you will have a much better chance of winning ...! So if one day you get up and say ... today I'm going to play poker and I hope I'm lucky ... believe me you'll end up losing everything ...!

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is all about online magic. You can't beat the magic so you might as well see if you can catch a wave and ride it. In donkfests, just shove and hope you can lucky. Worst thing to do is waste time in these tourneys and end up with nothing. Double, triple, quadruple up early, and then pick your spots.

The best thing you can is to try to isolate when you have big hole cards and try to get it all in HU against just one donk.

pothead2012

pothead2012

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you want to win through skill instead of relying on luck play more post-flop ;) jamming it pre is allways a bit of a gamble even if you have aces

Vorem

Vorem

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nothing can be done about it. This is part of the game

M

MakTrue

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In MTT online tournaments, lot of time you are playing with players who have no idea of pot odds or any other theory, they just bet all in and get lucky at times. How do you play against these players?

Good day!
If you play correctly and don't make mistakes, then the distance will return everything!
Bad players can't be lucky all the time :)

R

Raz123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Instead of playing tight play loose and build a big stack. That way you have chips to survive bad beats.

V

valen_niyee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes you can reduce it by minimizing risk. but you cannot eliminate it. how to reduce it? by learn to play poker, calculated the risk, read your opponent. but you still cannot win your luck in online poker in the long run.

ranynight

ranynight

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play lots of games. Distance will show who u are, fish or not

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I was involved in a live game and on the BB when the player shoved all-in UTG. My first reaction to this was to fold my pocket 8s but the Hi-jack called and then the button called and suddenly my 8s became a bit more attractive.
My reasoning was that the player UTG would not have shoved unless he had an Ace and the other 2 players were also calling with an Ace, So believing this to be true any pocket pair could be a solid hand so I re-raised and the 2 others were pot committed and had to call.
I hit trips on the Turn and almost made 4X my stack. Now my question is was this pure luck or a solid read on my opponents?
Some will say luck, But I really believe the latter to be true, I have done this before and on that occasion with pocket 9s I also made 4X my stack.

Good Man

Good Man

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yes you can reduce it by minimizing risk. but you cannot eliminate it. how to reduce it? by learn to play poker, calculated the risk, read your opponent. but you still cannot win your luck in online poker in the long run.

Analyzing your own game is the best way to stop a Downswing. By studying the shortcomings in their strategy, the player can improve it and make it more profitable. This can cover losses due to failures and allow you to play for the future again, making a profit. You can't let bad luck Rob you of your poker profits!

N

No Bologna

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No Bologna

I suppose, only play the nuts,but you will likely be blinded out, otherwise it's not possible. It's gambling!

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was involved in a live game and on the BB when the player shoved all-in UTG. My first reaction to this was to fold my pocket 8s but the Hi-jack called and then the button called and suddenly my 8s became a bit more attractive.
My reasoning was that the player UTG would not have shoved unless he had an Ace and the other 2 players were also calling with an Ace, So believing this to be true any pocket pair could be a solid hand so I re-raised and the 2 others were pot committed and had to call.
I hit trips on the Turn and almost made 4X my stack. Now my question is was this pure luck or a solid read on my opponents?
Some will say luck, But I really believe the latter to be true, I have done this before and on that occasion with pocket 9s I also made 4X my stack.

I know what you are saying, but someone could also have a higher PP.

Sure, if you play with people you know do be donkmeister flexes who think any high A is worth an all in, then call.

Depends on stack size and situation. In freerolls I don't mind an all in with 88 early in fourway action. I don't care if I lose early. It's much better than wasting time and getting no where.

masik6

masik6

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I see such opponents, I pick up a good starting hand for them and ***** their Olin.

Patoamz95

Patoamz95

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Choose your hands well and when you play, bet strong so you will reduce the range of your opponent's hands and increase yours if a player who had paid you an OR to 3bbs with for example 56off to try his luck, raising him 5 or 7bbs in the preflop Those hands are going to throw them unless they are very deep stack but in that case the variance will help you 74% of the time

B

BatOneHat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play TAG

Play tight aggressive and when you have a high percentage hand, top 20%, play aggressively. Also, when you do have a quality hand, look for trap opportunities against those all in-ers.

Split

Split

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I constantly think that the opponent is bluffing, it's hard to overcome yourself))

O

OttoParts

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Be thankful....

What you do is thank your lucky stars you are in that game and that you are the one with edge. Make better decisions more often and you will win in the long run. The cards are going to be what they are. You didn't do anything wrong when you get 65BBs all in with AsAc pre flop against a fish or maniac that calls with 4d4c and the board runs out Ad 2d 3c 8d 9d.

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
What to do

Hello. I play tight and premium hands. Don't get suckered thinking people are bluffing, when often they are not.

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck is part of the game. But when you're working on your game, you play tight, get into the flow, let go of all your thoughts and just do what you have to.