How to play QQ?

S

steve01991

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if you have a good read on the players that you are up against, you already know who will call with a good hand and who will call with garbage, either way, make them pay with smart betting. Even though you may lose, you do gain respect and they will be less likely to call when you are strong, or if you want to bluff.

B

Brunokeskara

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Would you fold QQ pre-flop on the bubble of a satellite tournament? Because I had that exact situation happen to me a couple of weeks ago, when I was playing a Sunday Million Satellite. 36 seats were being awarded, we were 4 away from being finished. I was sitting about 21st or 22nd in chips when I got this hand in middle position. I folded without giving it a second thought. Since the prize was the same for everyone in the tournament, and I had plenty of chips and was not in much danger to bubble, I had no reason to commit any chips into the pot.

Not necessarily - you can play any hand well and lose, but that doesn't mean you played it badly. For example, you flop a set of Queens and your opponent is committing all their chips on a draw and they get there. That doesn't mean that you played the hand badly.

Good point you made about the bubble. See what I posted above about my own situation on the bubble of a satellite tournament. It sounds like you would take that into consideration too. Good thinking!!!

Hello.

On the subject of how to play QQ (Please don't try this at home) LOL

For me, it depends on the flop. If an ace or king flops, for example, and a player gets crazy I am very aware of what they most likely have. If the cards are all the same suit, same thing. If the flop is a "wet" flop, I am well aware of what a player may have and watch the others' actions. If I am playing online, I have to watch for tricky algorithms. I have seen a number of times where 3 people have great pairs at one time. I have seen where getting near a break or near the money some odd things happen, eliminating players. Both players having awesome hands. I have seen where nearing the end of a tournament, no matter what, the person with the largest bank eliminates players....etc.

Please do not get me wrong. I love playing online. I do feel, whether logically or illogically, that not only am I playing against another player, but also against the algorithms of a brilliantly engineered software program. You see, as long as I realize that those do exist and it is not some fowl ploy by God knows what people think, I am OK with it.

It is playing against two things: the player & the algos. Whether I may seem to have lost my mind or not, that thinking has helped my game loads!

Cheers!

for sure it will help me a lot too, because I have this feeling too that I play with a lot more of cards and people, so it is always good to hear and read ideas of people who manage to go out on the extraordinary, of everyone with cards and turn to the less probably like a magic trick. lol

I like pocket QQs very much. Especially when on the flop are just low cards. Then I try to raise a bit higher than normal to get others to fold and prevent to see the turn/river card an A/K.

good choice, linked with more tokens than birthday cards

Here you are right about satellite tournaments. If you are in a comfort with chips, a decent stack doesn't make sense to play any hand, be it QQ or even AA, you are playing for the ticket, in this case 36 people are winning, then folding is a good decision. Good correction !!

we are together, and evolving every day, great games for us

Last edited by a moderator:
M

matiascecci1990

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my case I play strong before the flop, but always taking into account the type of tournament and the table position.

D

Damnbruce

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
QQ

Depending on chip stack and tournament position in relation to money bubble I am usually going to try to double up or end up getting busted out.

B

Brunokeskara

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I call this hand ,we can get into a set, or we can run into trouble against KK, AA, AK, Ah

In fact, I also paid, even if only to see, the only behavior I changed, was to stop going all in every QQ. many bads. administering depending on the hand, now if everything is in my favor, then it’s all in for sure, even if I lose. lol

ZPfBTNanAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.54)]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.54)][/COLOR]

[/COLOR]

I play QQ just like I play AA and KK, for me to throw away QQ preflop I have to be in final table of a big tournament and I am playing against an extremely tight palyer who I know from his plays have AA

great placement, I liked your point of view

I like pocket pairs but with my luck, I play them all with caution. I have learned to 3 or 4 bet and see the flop. No K or A, then step it up with 3/4 the pot bet.

okay, new actions are added in my games, I am gathering all the councils and playing and seeing the best ones to form my thankful but effective player

the thing is all premium hands are difficult to play because they could get cracked and if you lack experience it will be difficult for you as a player to get away from.

to day on pokerstars twitch i watch a pro player fold AA preflop before the bubble that's tuff lol. when i listened to his explanation it seemed justifiable, because preflop there is a twenty percent chance he could lose and that's a lot when you think about poker outcomes.

hope this scenario helps solidify your thoughts

it really is a very interesting scenario, even though I thought he was crazy, lol because I really saw that move, the way he did it I never saw it, it was the first and last I believe, it seemed that he even knew, and in my opinion, knowledge is worth more than statistics. I got the flea behind my ear, I’m never accusing them, but it’s crazy or someone who knew what it was going to be, it seems. lol

MikeDTT

MikeDTT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
3 bet and if they go all in i put it all in too. Its strong hand but it can be beat it from some worst.

B

Brunokeskara

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i lose now with kk

Although many times it ends badly, I can’t help but go all in. Usually it’s beat by an A3 :cool:

because I have been following the friends' tips here a lot, but I still have some bads on the way, just like I was in an important tournament now and I came across KK in the hand with high blinds, I thought of going all in, I chose to manage since it wasn’t me to try first, and I ended up losing there

Raphael Zabel

Raphael Zabel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It will always depend on the type of game, the stage of the tournament, your stack and the opponents, the style of the opponents, several factors, it is often necessary to give up even with AA and KK, or even after hitting trips or two pair on the flop , the most difficult is knowing when to take a risk or when to quit. That's why this game is so interesting.

Adi8877

Adi8877

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely, 99% try to go pre-flop all-in, given situations, phases - I play only tourneys - I can fold on flop easily, if 2+ opponents are in, and there is A and/or K on the flop, or something like 678, and one of them wants to have the all-in. if no wild action on flop, then on the turn, mostly for the doubled cards on the board, what for I can fold, like 661010 or the 4 same color (not a match with my cards) on the board. Even I lose sometimes, it still stands correct, I am very profitable with QQs. (Doing better with QQ than KK....)

P

peter bos

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
What position you get QQ in is also important how you play queens. More aggressive in late position than under the gun.
of course also depends on what action of other players takes place

kley126

kley126

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
depending on my position my stack of chips and on which instance fence in tournament I would play them all in

B

Brunokeskara

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All -in and god bless me.[/QUOT

I do that too, lol

The amount of times I see qq beaten on an all in by a n ace should teach me that all in is not the way to play them but I know I just won’t be able to help myself when the time comes:confused:

it is always the big dilemma, because I improved a lot of mines played with the advice of our friends here, but even more I feel safer in an all in, managing the game with QQ in hand is not easy, because a 33 would run all in pre -flop, but if it turns 3, I lose easily on the flop, so I'm still very divided, about whether or not to go all in, lol

It depends on the position at the table, but most of the time only on the turn do I make a decision to play, if I get there.

knew how to play, the problem and have enough discipline and patience to be in an uncomfortable situation in the game and see a light at the end of the tunnel with QQ

Pocket queens are top pair and you should always play aggressively and open with 3-bets!

liked it, good way to approach the opponent

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
The notion that there is one way to play a hand, or any one particular hand that should NEVER be played is absurd. QQ is a low premium starting hand. It's actual strength depends on a number of things:
- where are you sitting (position) ?
- what is the action leading into you?
- are you early, mid or late tournament?
- what are the players like who follow you?
- what is your stack size?
- what is the effective stack size?
My only concrete advice is that I'm unlikely to fold this hand preflop without a good reason.

But as with anything, the interesting bit is what happens after the flop.
A set of queens? Again, all the above questions reiterate.
A dry board?
A wet board?
A, K, boards.
Paired boards?
Flush Draws?
Straight draws?
My point is: there simply isn't one single way to play QQ (or any other hand).

However, GTT or ICM can tell you, given the right inputs, what portion of the time you should fold, call, small raise or large raise. But for most of us, this is a step or two beyond (for now).

Cheers,
ObbleeXY

B

Brunokeskara

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Check flop and wait for your opponent's reaction on it. So play it as a usuall pair

cold blooded, to play with QQ as a normal pair. but and a good way

Its a great hand, I play it strong. All-in a lot

in my opinion you are absolutely right, because in my opinion are the best cards to play, but it is always a cruel question whether or not to go all in

In cash games I'd try and whittle the players down heads up preflop by betting over the top. Occasionally you run into KK or AA but you should win most of the time with them.

really, I always regret it when I move all in and lose, and I regret it even more when I don't move all in pre-flop and turn 3 to a guy with 33 in my hand, so I'm always in the same stalemate, lol

B

Brunokeskara

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
never limp always 3-bet :D

true, good advice

All in and hope to win.

this is an eternal doubt I think, I improved my games a lot with QQ, but I still face moments that I have to go all in, for fear of seeing what will turn. wrong is but I suffer less has time, lol

Would you fold QQ pre-flop on the bubble of a satellite tournament? Because I had that exact situation happen to me a couple of weeks ago, when I was playing a Sunday Million Satellite. 36 seats were being awarded, we were 4 away from being finished. I was sitting about 21st or 22nd in chips when I got this hand in middle position. I folded without giving it a second thought. Since the prize was the same for everyone in the tournament, and I had plenty of chips and was not in much danger to bubble, I had no reason to commit any chips into the pot.

Not necessarily - you can play any hand well and lose, but that doesn't mean you played it badly. For example, you flop a set of Queens and your opponent is committing all their chips on a draw and they get there. That doesn't mean that you played the hand badly.

Good point you made about the bubble. See what I posted above about my own situation on the bubble of a satellite tournament. It sounds like you would take that into consideration too. Good thinking!!!

guy was passing by and I read the comments and I don't remember which one of you gave me the tip on how to get past the bubble. but I would like to thank you, as I have won several tournaments thanks to your tips, both on how to play with QQ and how to get past the bubble, I have itm almost every day. so thank you very much for the advice tips. I learned a lot from you all

I never make big money if I have the same hand, I'd rather wait for the right opportunity, so the payout is bigger.

Thank you for the advice

B

Brunokeskara

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
right!

Such a hand is better to play through the promotion

right! I understand, I'll try to use your advice too, to see the results. thanks also for the advice

Dimission

Dimission

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play this hand strongly and usually go full on the attack, it is the right hand that gives you a good chance of winning if you put pressure from the start.

fernandofcp

fernandofcp

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With QQ (and also AA and KK) you have to be aggressive before the flop, thus eliminating the "onlookers" who have weak hands, but who can become a threat if they manage to get to the river.

Austria7

Austria7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like the ladies ... of course they are a bit bitchy at some times like in real life. :) Raising preflop of course, the flop is crucial. If there are 2 overcards it becomes difficult to continue betting, caution is advised, in this case I like check-call. With a just an ace or king, I always bet to get information from the opponent. Do not over perform ... :eek:

AjR3ckless

AjR3ckless

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love this hand like I love a pair of 8's especially if there are cards lower on the board, I find that Q is a great card by itself in most games I play my fav cards in the deck Q n 8

AjR3ckless

AjR3ckless

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like the ladies ... of course they are a bit bitchy at some times like in real life. :) Raising preflop of course, the flop is crucial. If there are 2 overcards it becomes difficult to continue betting, caution is advised, in this case I like check-call. With a just an ace or king, I always bet to get information from the opponent. Do not over perform ... :eek:

Gotta love the ladies all when they bitchy as hell :D:D:D