How to play QQ?

M

mortimccarthy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have just flat called at times with QQ and won some big pots when the set comes or all under cards on board but like most others are saying it depends on position stack sizes and my opponents in the hand but generally i see them as any other pocket pair you hate to see any over cards to you're pair on board

franken222

franken222

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
QQ is a great hand to play in a tournament, if you can narrow the number of opponents you have in the hand.

You also need to take a look at your position at the table, and also the "buy-in" level. The lower the "buy-in", the more challenges you are going to get.

If you're in "late position" pre flop, it is much easier to decide what to do. (This actually can apply to most hands.) You'll know the max number of players that are staying in, and you can decide whether or not to try and scare some of them out, or go with it.

Mr_Dangerous

Mr_Dangerous

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
I Love those Lady's

Love those Lady Queens but I typically just call first and then narrow it down if the Ace or some type of Draw comes out on the Flop.

R

RUNRRUNRTO

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
QQ is a great hand for building larger pots and it’s very easy to get away from post flop.

B

Brunokeskara

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
truth fully agree

I play this hand strongly and usually go full on the attack, it is the right hand that gives you a good chance of winning if you put pressure from the start.

truth fully agree. I also liked to be as aggressive as possible. in the intention of valuing the hand in question

B

Brunokeskara

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
true

With QQ (and also AA and KK) you have to be aggressive before the flop, thus eliminating the "onlookers" who have weak hands, but who can become a threat if they manage to get to the river.

it is true, very well placed the point of view. I really believe that depending on the level you are in the game, All in remains the best approach

B

Brunokeskara

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
good advice

I like the ladies ... of course they are a bit bitchy at some times like in real life. :) Raising preflop of course, the flop is crucial. If there are 2 overcards it becomes difficult to continue betting, caution is advised, in this case I like check-call. With a just an ace or king, I always bet to get information from the opponent. Do not over perform ... :eek:

good advice. thanks for the advice, really the key point is to scare away the weak with an aggressive pre-flop bet, so as not to become a strong opponent. I have changed my way of playing a lot, using the advice of friends here, and I am satisfied with the results

el_soma77

el_soma77

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
:cool:Strong raise before the flop, QQ I don't like to bet it all before the flop, I have to play it in a controlled way, and see the flop if it comes out low flop I bet strong or pot, it depends on the villains ...

C

crabcruncher

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Strong hand. Play as appropriate, 2.x raise, play further from the flop as an option. There are many options, it all depends on the situation in the game, it is important to find the right fold if something went wrong.
A few years ago at a live tournament in Las Vegas, down to the last eight players, I was dealt QQ, I raised preflop and was reraised all in by the chip leader. I think I was fifth in chips. If I was last in chips I would have instacalled.
Thinking about all the options and what the other player would have pushed with, I folded QQ face up. He took the pot and showed his hand Ace King, which was one of the hands I had put him on.
I didnt go on to win the tournament, but I did believe I had made the right move at the time.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A few years ago at a live tournament in Las Vegas, down to the last eight players, I was dealt QQ, I raised preflop and was reraised all in by the chip leader. I think I was fifth in chips. If I was last in chips I would have instacalled.
Thinking about all the options and what the other player would have pushed with, I folded QQ face up. He took the pot and showed his hand Ace King, which was one of the hands I had put him on.
I didnt go on to win the tournament, but I did believe I had made the right move at the time.

Thank U 4 Posting

If the the chip leader's range was AA KK QQ JJ AK than yes it was a good fold.

However if the range included more pairs- some AJ and bluffs than a call is in order unless of course it was life changing money in 6th or 7th place

:):)

H

Houdini9

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
QQ plays the same as KK and AA (when K & A do not flop) - the secret is isolating your opponent. You wan to be HU - not trying to outlast 3 calling stations all trying to out draw you with JTx or A2s - because they will!

Do what is required to get HU and play your TOP PAIR like a STRONG Hand. Because it is.

GL GL,

Houdini9

Claudiunm

Claudiunm

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Play aggressively pre-flop. But don't be suicidal. If someone raises, just call and see the flop. If neither A nor K, remain aggressive. If comes out A or K, just pay and see. If the opponent bets high, fold.

Austria7

Austria7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
good advice. thanks for the advice, really the key point is to scare away the weak with an aggressive pre-flop bet, so as not to become a strong opponent. I have changed my way of playing a lot, using the advice of friends here, and I am satisfied with the results

It is exactly like that. There are some players who just limp high pocket pairs and then allow many players to be involved in the hand ... that's where premium hands like QQ + lose a lot of value in my opinion. :)

AllinIgor

AllinIgor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Friend, all hands are good to play, the problem is that many people think that when they take hands like QQ, KK and AA the deck has to give 100% of the times of victories to these hands, and forget that variance happens constantly and is normal. Of course there are numerous situations where you have to play cautiously QQ, but this also depends on the tournament stages, bubble, ITM, BB, villain range among other factors. It is an interesting question and worth the debate, but I will not extend any further.

Good luck at the tables!
good afternoon folks. and press mine or it's hard until it folds. lol Ultimately, I'm less likely to play with QQ than with any other card. many hands are lost with a pair of ladies in hand. it's not easy. and in your opinion my dear colleagues

G

Govin

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am from Montreal Quebec. Canada

In EP raise 3BB. In MP,CO and BTN provided No K or A on the flop I would raise 4 or 5 BB

P

Panda19977

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well I make a strong call first about 4-5 BB to take out as many ppl as possible. If there is an A one K on the flop I make another call of 3 bb to slow a bit down. If he they go ahead you might just have to let it go and fold after.

B

Brunokeskara

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i too

I love this hand like I love a pair of 8's especially if there are cards lower on the board, I find that Q is a great card by itself in most games I play my fav cards in the deck Q n 8

cool. good cards I like to play a lot with them too, both Q and 8

B

Brunokeskara

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
very cruel

There's no right or wrong way to play any hand. There's only what works at the time. The best hands can lose and the worst hands can win. Poker is a cruel game. Have fun with it.

very cruel even, especially when the prize is great, lol

B

Brunokeskara

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
great vision

If you're curious about when to play QQ (or any other ranges) Jonathan Little's coaching site offers free ranges for different stack depths. This video gives a good overview of how to use them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcsJxzRZpog

There's also a link to the actual charts in the video's description, though I think you need to sign up for his mailing list to access them.

As far as post-flop playing QQ that takes a little more practice, but IMO if you just get called and there are over cards you should still c-bet. If it's a draw heavy board that bricks the turn you should continue if the turn is a brick, but if the caller has A/K or nothing you might just have to shutdown (unless you think the caller(s) would give up weaker top pairs).

great vision and advice. very good I will watch the video too, I like to see content about poker, like live tournaments and etc ...

topspinwilly

topspinwilly

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Play big pairs strong. they are best hand PF usually.

QQ plays the same as KK and AA (when K & A do not flop) - the secret is isolating your opponent. You wan to be HU - not trying to outlast 3 calling stations all trying to out draw you with JTx or A2s - because they will!

Do what is required to get HU and play your TOP PAIR like a STRONG Hand. Because it is.

GL GL,

Houdini9
I Agree. get HU Make your money preflop cause u will be lucky to make more post flop unless he hits either better or he is fishy and goes with a lower top pair. Also by playing like you got strong AK preflop you will have easy bluff/Fold if AK comes.:deal:

Last edited:
B

Brunokeskara

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
go all in

I usually go all in pre flop

I almost always go all in too, it depends a lot on the level of the game and the players and the oposition at the table, so I choose to manage the game, but even so if I choose to manage it came out in a more aggressive way, to eliminate opponents with bad pre-flop cards, which can become a problem on the flop

B

Brunokeskara

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I did it that day

:cool: pair of queens in hand I like to raise strong pre flop, I don't like to play ALL-IN before the flop, I like to see the flop first if low cards come out I follow the bet.

ok, on the day I did it there the guy had a small pair in his hand then he made three on the flop with 333 if I'm not mistaken, lol