The game of poker is like a captain steering a ship that does not sink

Leandro6803

Leandro6803

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What we currently see are successful professional players with a total focus on poker, always seeking to evolve in the game.
There's a phrase that always inspires me "luck only comes to those who are prepared".

I believe if you are prepared for a certain situation it can be successful.

Andrii Lubentsov

Andrii Lubentsov

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
The most important is skill. Luck will also help.

nakiesQUensyyy

nakiesQUensyyy

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
The ability to adapt to opponents and play according to mathematical calculations in which one or another action from us is shown to be advantageous

Ataman911

Ataman911

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Luck is the most important thing needed, as well as patience

Mati532

Mati532

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Consistency and discipline are two fundamental factors for success in poker, and so is studying.

nabmom

nabmom

Community Guide
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You are getting so many great answers, and hopefully you've seen that poker is really a multi-faceted game. The mental game of poker, staying calm and calculated, and playing your best game always (your "A-Game") is critical. Knowing how to handle bad beats, because there will be bad beats when luck fails you, is what will let you play a solid game. Stay curious and always try to learn how to improve your skills. Posting hand histories is a great way to do that.

kosha_

kosha_

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
At the heart of a successful poker game is the ability to think strategically and make informed decisions...

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I think the point I'm trying to make is I've seen players win on the WPT, WSOP, Poker GO, etc., and then you never hear from them again. I wish I could remember this certain player that had said he just wanted to score a big win so he could retire and not have to play anymore. I know, wtf? This was back in '08 or something like that, but I think I get what he meant.
I remember who it was! It was Ylon Schwartz, a player from the very first wsop "November 9". He placed 4th. I remember he said something like if he scores big he'll move to a beach and relax forever, lol. Not exactly a bad plan.
Oh yeah, Peter Eastgate wound up taking down that bracelet.

lilypond

lilypond

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
What are the skills/abilities and knowledge that are most important for being a winning poker player?
Is Poker Based more on Luck or Skills?
I think poker is mostly based on skills, though even professional players can have long periods of losing, before winning again, due to variance.

There are books and courses that will teach the most important poker skills, including the CardsChat free online course.

jasioo

jasioo

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
it depends on how you define success. But overall, to be successful you have to constantly improve your way of playing, because other players do it too. Without progress you will regress

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
A successful poker player is always a long-term thinker, always manages his bankroll wisely, and a poker player is constantly working on his game.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Game is always evolving, being consistent with the way you approach the game. When was playing a lot, tried to set aside time for going over hand history, reading books, getting enough rest and good mental health.

Mag_P1e

Mag_P1e

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
It seems to me that to play poker successfully you need at least 3 things:
1. Strong mental health (stress resistance, ability not to tilt, etc.)
2. Comfortable bankroll and competent play in accordance with it (to avoid unnecessary pressure in an already complex and emotional game)
3. Knowledge of the minimum base of the game (push-fold in short stacks, open raises and pot odds, at a minimum)

Well, I would also like to separately highlight training, the desire for self-development - in my understanding this is not included in the minimum, but it is mandatory for future achievements!

L

Lesley J

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
HU
Chips
You need to know the rules and strategies, like when to bet, fold, or raise. Plus, having a good "poker face" helps hide your emotions.

poxerator78

poxerator78

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Restrained emotions, thoughtful decisions, practice, the more we play, the more chances we have to cover those occasions when we were unlucky and moved, the distance puts everything in its place

lilypond

lilypond

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
A successful player is in the top 5-10% of players who make money playing poker. In my opinion, a successful poker player earns a living from poker and has won a few major tournaments, is well-known, etc.

T

tiptools

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
1)Experience 2) Intelligence 3) Willingness to Learn 4) Ability to Control Emotions

S

steve01991

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i think you have to judge on the money earned. you could be the best strategist, but make no money,

pep12343

pep12343

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Hello, in my opinion poker is based more on skill than on chance, it is true that many players eliminate you from a tournament playing with luck on their side, but there will be more times when a player with skill beats a player with luck.
I think that what it takes to become a good poker player is to dedicate time to studying it, there are two ways in my opinion to do it
1) study poker theory (books, tutorials, etc.)
2) learn by watching professional players.
With these 2 techniques, you will gradually learn to read your opponent and to intelligently implement your own techniques. Don't be afraid of losing and when you lose to someone who was lucky, ask yourself: Did I play well? Would I play the same way again?
Although everyone's goal is to win, knowing that you played well you can be sure of your performance and know that one day you will have a new chance.