LaNimmer

LaNimmer

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
What are the skills/abilities and knowledge that are most important for being a winning poker player?
Is Poker Based more on Luck or Skills?
LOL! I'm not a winning poker player most of the time. But I would have to say skill 99.9% most of the time. The only reason I place ITM sometimes is because I do study and adhere to many standard principles of poker. Luck can help when you need it or against you. Apparently it all evens out over a million hands!

chicbulls2

chicbulls2

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BA
Chips
LOL! I'm not a winning poker player most of the time. But I would have to say skill 99.9% most of the time. The only reason I place ITM sometimes is because I do study and adhere to many standard principles of poker. Luck can help when you need it or against you. Apparently it all evens out over a million hands!
That evening out thing is not true, it's very different playing a tournament and getting a bad beat when there are for example 9 people left than when are 500 people left, you spend hours playing to get there, and as we al know all the money is up top. Evening out thing is only for cash game players and only if you are playing same stakes always because as we all know it's not the same thing when you lose 2, 4 or 10 bucks as is when you lose 200, 400 or more in a single pot

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think effort is the most important factor.

The game is constantly changing and evolving, if you are not getting better you are getting worse.

There are so many tools available if you are willing to use them to improve your game.

WrongUsername

WrongUsername

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Patience, reading skills and a lot of luck the most important factor

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
What are the skills/abilities and knowledge that are most important for being a winning poker player?
I have already answered other similar questions, but I will opine, online a lot of patience, skill, study and luck. Live, a lot of skill, technique, patience, constant study, knowing the place, studying the players, waiting for the right moment and some luck

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
True Heart and Commitment to the Game" - Tony G

thedarkman

thedarkman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Winning money, lots of it. No other criteria.

juan1579

juan1579

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Consistency and discipline are two fundamental factors for success in poker, and I could say that in everything

LaNimmer

LaNimmer

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
That evening out thing is not true, it's very different playing a tournament and getting a bad beat when there are for example 9 people left than when are 500 people left, you spend hours playing to get there, and as we al know all the money is up top. Evening out thing is only for cash game players and only if you are playing same stakes always because as we all know it's not the same thing when you lose 2, 4 or 10 bucks as is when you lose 200, 400 or more in a single pot
I agree. I will never even out because statistically I will never play enough hands. I know when I play a cash game and lose $200. I know it is gone, but it is part of a monthly entertainment budget. When I lose my stack I play freerolls until the next month.

Toruk Makto

Toruk Makto

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I'm also looking for the magic formula! I'm nowhere near a winner at poker, but it takes a lot of discipline and study, but the luck factor helps at any given moment...

Canaldo Kao

Canaldo Kao

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Skill coolness and focus, of course luck counts a little from time to time!:unsure:🍀

recerveau

recerveau

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it's a little of both. In the matter of luck or ability, do I accept that luck influences a lot, but always less the more ability you have?

LUKADONCICMVP

LUKADONCICMVP

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
BRM is the most important skill if u don´t respect u always will go broke

Gavincwb

Gavincwb

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
If you have skill, you can bluff and win several hands by lying, but you have to study a lot for this to happen. And luck is luck, you never know when you're going to get lucky in poker.

MARIANARDES2022

MARIANARDES2022

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
I think about it; Oline 80% luck, and at the table I look into the eye 80% knowledge, patience...

E

Easylu

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
Consistency and, pariente and discipline are fundamental three more important factor's for succes poker

Stanley Aguiar

Stanley Aguiar

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Being a winning poker player relies primarily on skills such as strategy, opponent reading, bankroll management, emotional discipline, and poker mathematics. While luck plays a role, poker is a skill-based game, with skilled players consistently outperforming less experienced ones in the long run, as their ability to make informed decisions based on available information is crucial for success;)

Igor G

Igor G

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Poker is based on skill, luck, experience, patience, discipline. All these factors are important and crucial, without them it is impossible to achieve stable and good results.

Academico

Academico

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
A successful poker player has a combination of skills, strategies, discipline, and knowledge that allow them to excel in this game of skill and strategy. Here I mention some key aspects that contribute to success in poker:

Knowledge of the game: A successful player has a deep knowledge of the rules of poker, the different variants of the game, the odds, betting strategies and tactics for playing specific hands.
Mathematical and statistical skills: Understanding probabilities and statistics is essential to making informed decisions on every hand. Successful players have a solid understanding of the mathematics involved in poker, allowing them to calculate a hand's probabilities of success and make data-driven decisions.
Psychological skills: The ability to read opponents, control emotions, stay calm under pressure and apply psychology to your advantage is crucial in poker. Knowing when to bluff, when to fold, or when to move on is essential.
Discipline: Discipline is key to properly managing the bankroll (playing capital), setting profit and loss limits, and not getting carried away by emotional impulses. A disciplined player knows when to fold and when to persist.
Adaptability: Successful players adapt to different playing styles and change their strategies depending on the situation and opponents. Being flexible and able to adjust is essential to success in poker.
Experience and Practice: Constant practice and experience are crucial to improving at poker. Successful players learn from their mistakes, analyze their hands, and look for ways to continually improve.
Bankroll Management: Knowing how to manage money and bankroll effectively is essential for long-term survival in poker. A successful gambler sets loss limits and manages his money wisely to avoid financial ruin.
Constant Study: Since poker is a constantly evolving game, successful players are always learning and updating their knowledge. They read books, study strategies, analyze hands and stay informed about the latest trends in the world of poker.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips

Being patient is one skill we all need, Hold-em is unlike any other poker game I have played and some describe it as the "Cadillac" of all poker games, Which I suppose it is, compared to Draw and Stud, But in general you cannot afford to see every flop with just any 2 cards because you would be low on chips in no time.
So some times you fold what would have been the best hand, Like a 7/2 off that would have made Quads, or the 5/9 that would have made a straight etc etc. But get into the battle with A/K or K/Q or a high Pocket Pair, Some even have Favourite Hands like Doyle Brunson's 10/2, or J/10 because if it makes any kind of straight it is always the "Nut" Straight,
But having the abilities to be Patient, and a good read on other players helps to know whether your hand is good or beaten by the river, I have called a River bet holding 2 pair, even when there was 4 Spades on the Table, and I didn't have a Spade in my hand, and Won.
Other Times I have flopped a King Flush only to see a 4th Heart hit the table, and Folded it because I sensed the aggressive player was playing the Ace of Hearts and I was proven right to fold by another Player calling his All-in bet, holding a Straight.
Call it Luck or a Gut feeling, or even "Spider Senses" kicking in, but if I know I am beaten Yes I will fold good hands, and call when I feel I am winning.
Tournaments are Won by sensible players who wait for the best opportunities to take down several smaller pots, rather than the occasional huge pot. I have seen it time and again where you have one player with a huge Stack and 10 minutes later he gets busted out "Hero to Zero" in a couple of hands played badly.
As the Song Goes "You have to know when to Hold them, Know when to Fold them".

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Poker is not a game of chance, it's a game of knowing the chances of winning, it's about knowing when to throw the cards, when to bet, how to intimidate the opponent ... and much more

amonlima

amonlima

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Constancy, discipline and focus! Having these elements, and always seeking to improve your game, through the search for knowledge of the most profitable plays in the field in which you play.

Gh0stL

Gh0stL

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
Hi I think that the skills that you improve practicing and learning strategies is the right way. Sometimes the luck take a little part in the game.

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I'm looking at this question and I have to ask myself is it correct? Is it "What makes a successful poker player", or is it "What makes a poker player successful"?
It's a good question, regardless.
I think the point I'm trying to make is I've seen players win on the WPT, wsop, Poker GO, etc., and then you never hear from them again. I wish I could remember this certain player that had said he just wanted to score a big win so he could retire and not have to play anymore. I know, wtf? This was back in '08 or something like that, but I think I get what he meant.
Back to the original question(s). If a player wins a 6-7 figure trny and can now "take it easy" would that player be considered successful in their win? Of course they would.
If a player never wins a major score but is consistently bringing home the bacon via cash-games, is that player considered successful? I would think so.
I think a successful player is the same as a successful American... Debt free. ;)