Game of Gold Season 2: Would you add amateurs to the mix?

WhiskeyFix

WhiskeyFix

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Absolutely, better question is who are the options for the amateurs? :)

^ Episode #1 of Game of Gold

Nafor

Nafor

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
Can't say that I've watched even a single episode but I'll answer anyway. I don't know how well this show has performed with audiences, but if the intention is to gain even more viewers then the cast has to able to fulfill expectations. What could be better than a amateur underdog that beats the odds? A good show has something for everyone.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
People can sometimes like to have an amateur or an amateur team to either identify with or root for as an underdog. So the general psychological reason I can see.

Personally, I have no interest in looking at a Poker Show if it hasn't interesting personalities and known poker players, especially if it doesn't have some good poker.

So I vote no for amateurs but can see the possible general appeal.

NootNoot

NootNoot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
I can see merit in it. I don't think it's the worst idea in the world but at the same time don't think it's a must. Could be good.

The Big Game was a TV show that did something like this in the past. pokerstars were involved.

6 max cash games with 5 recognised names from the poker world plus 1 wildcard entry. 150 hands of $200/$400, starting stacks of $100k. The amateur players had their buy-in paid for them and they were allowed to keep any profit they made. If they lost money or felted they went home with nothing.

They'd pick someone who they thought would be good on TV because of their personality or someone with an interesting backstory. Players were invited to send in auditions once they'd qualified through 3 levels of satellites.

It can make for good TV and a nice story if people end up cheering on the amateur, especially if they were likeable/charasmatic and came across well in front of the cameras. It would be the dream of lots of the audience to be in their shoes, and could give them something to aspire to.

Could even be someone's big break if they were talented but didn't have much of a bank roll to start with.

jose_saleh

jose_saleh

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
That would be interesting to see how they perform against the top of the top.

MTCashman

MTCashman

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No I would not add amateurs, I like the idea of the pros being out of their element and placed in these unique situations. I would try to add as many different faces from the pro ranks before I considered any amateurs being added.

hobojim1247

hobojim1247

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Definitely Yes. Nothing captures the public's attention faster than the underdog winning.

Dzill_230

Dzill_230

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello everyone. Although I haven't watched the show, I think my opinion won't differ much: I believe that the participation of several amateurs wouldn't hurt. Watching professionals play is a pleasure, but when there is someone who can, so to speak, provide competition, I think it fuels interest in watching. Moreover, the theme of giving an amateur a chance to show their best qualities is quite popular in literature and in the film industry and has a significant number of fans.

Gutshot Gus

Gutshot Gus

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No No and No.
An amateur would be dead meat and take away from the game.

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on what kind of amateurs you are talking about, people who can't play poker and look at paper to see which hand is strong, which would be quite boring because the pros would win against amateurs with patient games, or people who are amateurs, but already they have participated in a lot of tournaments online and play small stakes just as a hobby, because it this could be interesting.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think that the idea with amateurs will add intrigue :) .... I think it will be even more interesting :)

belizebum

belizebum

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
I think I am in agreement with most people here, shocking I know...lol. But sure why not add a few amateurs to the mix. Obviously not just anyone, but people who have put in the time to play but never got the breaks to make it to pro. Everyone loves the underdog story and wouldn't that be a feather in the cap for the amateurs.

RhinoRyan89

RhinoRyan89

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I think it would be nice if they held an event to give an amateurs and chances to qualify for the show via the GG client online.

I wouldnt like there to be alot each season tho as i think it would detract from the appeal of the show.

fullclock

fullclock

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have never seen that series, is it on TV or online? I would love to see amateur players against the professionals. It would be great fun for everyone.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
No . Amateurs playing in such event is not a good idea imo . I like pros only to play on such series or sponsored events . I remember a PS series where an amateur was playing among pros , I didn't like it at all .

D

Dougana

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I don't know, but I think it can be really good for an amateur, just imagine one of us there.

Gdefender

Gdefender

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
Yes, I absolutely want it! At least they (amateurs too) could show what they know or don't know...

W

Wega85

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
yes thats a great idea. would love to see pro player play against crazy amateur players that they have never seen them play

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Yes, I would like to see amateurs. I think it would be interesting, more interesting than without them, and fun :)

N

neverbluff0799

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I was always thinking that amateur always add a special thing to such show and that people really love a good underdog story so yes adding amateur would be a great addition to the show definitly.

Goggelheimer

Goggelheimer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Adding amateur to pro player event may be funny.
Perhaps with a special coach in each team.
Another idea could be an amateur sidekick with only amateur players.

Johnny78B

Johnny78B

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
Hope some of them will add to the list!

gon4iypes

gon4iypes

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Oh yes I definitely would add some amateurs. In fact I really think it would be much more interesting...and indeed exciting to have ALL amateurs. I mean why should just a select few have all the fun?? Silly old "pro's" get so much dumped in their laps as it is...hehehe

marvinsytan

marvinsytan

I'm going to win The PokerStars Sunday Million
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PH
Chips
yes, it's a good promotion that amateurs can play with the big boys/girls

ledsmith

ledsmith

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
It would be a great idea to include amateurs in this game. For me it is much more interesting to watch the game of an amateur who achieves success than the game of a titled player. And this would definitely add intrigue to the tournament.

Top 10 Games