Game of Gold Season 2: Would you add amateurs to the mix?

CRStals

CRStals

Total posts
Awards
Chips
Now that the Game of Gold has ended, if a second season happens would you want to see four amateurs included in the mix of poker pros? Why or why not??

m

Last edited by a moderator:
rhoudini

rhoudini

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Definitely yes for including amateurs!! Everyone loves a Moneymaker story, it would be great for the game to give a chance for an amateur to play vs. the pros and maybe win the game, showing that in poker everyone can take a shot at pros.

But FOUR amateurs is too much IMO. Despite it may be a good amount if the dynamics were the same (making 4 teams initially, then each team would have one amateur in the same level, balancing the teams in some sense). But if the format is changed, 4 out of 16 seems too much. One or maybe two amateurs would be great.

However, maybe the most important question is not if an amateur should play, but what kind of amateur would be best for the game?

We have already seen games and streams with amateurs like Alexandra Botez, a chess master and streamer, or even Mr. Beast, the famous youtuber. Many of these streams were a great success. We have also seen videos and marketing campaigns with celebrities, like Neymar Jr (pokerstars Pro), Cristiano Ronaldo, etc. This profile seems good for the entertainment: someone already well-known, but not a poker pro.

Another option is making big qualifiers online, and the winner gets a seat. It was good if everybody had equal chances of participating, even freeroll hustlers, not only people who play bigger stakes. I just don't know if it is good from a entertainment and marketing point of view for the show itself, maybe it is, give the fact that the audience is the poker community anyway.

Gritz18

Gritz18

To Cesar, what belongs to Cesar.
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Now that the Game of Gold has ended, if a second season happens would you want to see four amateurs included in the mix of poker pros? Why or why not??
In my opinion, I think that the inclusion of amateurs in an event of this magnitude would be a great idea, as it would draw more attention to those who like poker and of course the opportunity for many players who are anonymous to be able to fulfill their dream of playing alongside of these great celebrities and suddenly become a celebrity too.

millya5

millya5

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Definitely yes, for amateurs this is a pipe dream ! For a poker lover, this would be the holiday of a lifetime. Only after such a holiday will you not go crazy:ROFLMAO:

maronza1

maronza1

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BW
Chips
Yes i would add the amateurs to the list, and maybe the amateur may be the winner, to prove that anyone can win the game

MK_

MK_

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
US
Chips
I would not.... I don't have any interest in watching another kyna even though she's not an amateur, the moneymaker thing doesn't interest me. I want to see people who can play, I don't want to see any faux celebrities either lol👍

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I am really torn on if they should include amateurs or not. While seeing true amateurs in there would be fun for them in reality, I would be afraid it could take away from the event itself. Some amateurs would really be semi pros or winning streamers. While they may not be professional players, there really not amateurs either.

What i loved about the game of gold was watching the true pros playing but more the actually talking behind the scenes of strategy and their thoughts on the play. I would also not like seeing some of the true best pros going out quickly if they got unlucky in the draw if their team was stuck with 2 or more amateurs. Seeing Jason Koon and Daniel Negreanu really hurt the show going out that 1st round in my opinion and would hate to see it again.

I think I will go with no amateurs as the game is set now. If they would have a separate say bracket for the amateurs and brought the top 1 or 2 to the final table, it would be great but if they did, I would like to see real Amateurs. It would be fun to see some of CardsChat best players given a shot.

SL-247

SL-247

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I would add. Because playing poker between an amateur and a professional is always an intrigue and the viewer’s interest in the tournament increases even more.

B

bowserdon

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
yes for sure eg Chris Moneymaker, are pros really better???

Viparida

Viparida

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, it´s always interesting to see in these kind of shows to see amateurs playing. That way we can see the difference in the game thoughts of a pro and of a amateur, not to mention it gets more fun because you have an "underdog" to cheer for.

Bummy

Bummy

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
UA
Chips
On the one hand, it would be interesting if amateurs there had the opportunity to play with such players. It would be an experience for them, a more interesting viewing for us.
But on the other hand, I think it will be the same as when they tried to make tournaments with famous people/stars playing as amateurs, and it will look more like a show than poker, there will be more fan, some kind of hands or rounds with cards like 2/9.

G0930

G0930

Captain Fathermucker, Satty Aficionado
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips

m
I like that idea.
Maybe like at shark cage ... one wild card for an amateur to Game of Gold

YLAN

YLAN

Sida Nga Taraki
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Interesting idea but if I am the producer of the show I would not be inclined to add 4 amateurs in the mix so as not to upset the balance of the tables. Would it be exciting to see an amateur play in the mix of an NBA game? It could be fun if its a comedy show but would not be exciting for the enthusiastic audience.

R

Ron112355

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I would just leave it as it is, I tuned in to see the Pros play in a different format than normal and see no reason to change the concept already after only one season.

mattiebumpo

mattiebumpo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I would say no, not yet. I enjoyed the interplay between the "pros". Some of the pros were more experienced and more gifted than others. For me, that is enough variation. Adding amateurs to the mix will dilute the value of learning how the pros interact and how their different styles (math vs feeling; GTO vs exploitative) can complement each other. There is more to be learned from keeping it to just pros.

dallam

dallam

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Did not see this series, tho there have been many poker series, and amateurs could fit in some. But it's not necessary to always fill them up.
Would say from time to time.

najisami

najisami

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
I think I would want to see 4 amateurs added to that mix.
First of all, there are thousands and thousands of "so called" amateurs who can definitely hold their ground in that game, they only need the chance to be in it.
And second, amateur or not, poker is the only known game where anyone could win, maybe not in the long term, but definitely in any given session.
Moreover, it's always interesting to watch a competition where underdogs are involved ;););).

lauestla

lauestla

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would say yes. It would be interesting to see how amateurs can play at this level.
Let's remember that poker is a game of skills and luck. Poker is not chess, you can win even if you don't always take the right decisions.
So it could be a good idea to mix pros and some amateurs. Just to see if the difference between pro players and skilled amateurs is so huge that we all imagine it.

emgesi

emgesi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
Да ще е интересно за гледане и непредвидимо защо не и някои аматиори да спечели 🙂🙂🙂

Translation:-
Yes, it will be interesting to watch and unpredictable, why not some amateurs to win 🙂🙂🙂

Last edited by a moderator:
ToNy70929

ToNy70929

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UZ
Chips
Putting amateurs in competition with professional players for gold is a good way to test what chance they have among the "wolves". Of course, the sympathy of ordinary observers will be on the side of amateurs, and if they win, this will be an incentive for amateurs from all over the world that everyone has a chance to win:cool:

zorro222_zorro222

zorro222_zorro222

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I love the idea of adding 4 amateurs to the game, the initial 4 teams of 4 can each have an amateur on their team to make it competitive. It would be interesting to watch the pros sweating the amateurs and comment on their play, and then later in the competition compete against the pros. Awesome idea whoever thought of this. (y)

rsparente

rsparente

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Yes, I"d like to see amateurs playing against the top pros, as it would show us how to deal with this type of players, the recreational ones.

olejean

olejean

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
If yes, then the teams need to be balanced with an equal number of amateurs in each team. Otherwise, it will turn out like a team of soccer stars playing without a goalkeeper for comparison. In that case it would be a good idea.

Paya_31

Paya_31

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, for me it would be spectacular to do that, you can even put some new and motivating rules so that the Game of Gold Season 2 draws even more attention. As much as some mini poker games as some challenge between the opponents, but something like that would be great, because I saw it very monotonous in the first season, I would also add the Spanish translation.

Top 10 Games