mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Yes, I agree that poker is lucky, but I do not agree that it is 10% strategy and 90% luck, I do not think that is so, I think more about: 70-80% strategy 30-20% luck, I think that it would be impossible to win a tournament with just luck, imagine winning all the plays with only and pure luck, that I think is impossible, unless the poker gods love that person so much to bless him with such luck lol, how far you get in a tournament you will depend most of the time on how you play and always clear influenced with a bit of luck but not always

pancho_1954

pancho_1954

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I think it's impossible to win a tournament with only luck, and I do not think that luck has more weight in a game than the strategies, if I think that luck can influence a bit in how far you get in a tournament, but not as much as the strategies , of course not always the strategies will work but not always the luck luck will be against you, I think it is 70% strategy and 20% luck, even less serious percentage of luck

eRaS55

eRaS55

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Some really good responses here and I can't add much except maybe just quote something I recently heard on an interview after a Liverpool football match...

"If you train hard and apply that hard work on the pitch... the luck will follow"

Not an exact quote but close forsure lol

As for losing AA to 22 ... it comes down to the fact the guy going all in with 22 is clearly a below average player whom you didn't get a good read on... If he called your all in that too might have been a mistake to do as it might be better to raise 3 or 4 times instead.
Sometimes you slow play the rockets and someone elses flush or straight hits on the turn or river... this too is a strategy concern.
So AA is a great hand but I think shoving should be done with some thought to it first. My opinion is that AA losing is not always down to luck but more often a poor strategy

Good Luck bro

M

mara2259

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do not overestimate the value of luck in a particular distribution. Even if the fortune is not on your side at the moment and you lost, but at the same time you chose the right strategy and the sequence of your bets was correct at a distance this will bring you value.

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it's a combination of both, a good player with a good strategy, you also need luck to win.
But eventually the strategy is imposed on luck.

gl all :icon_rr: :D

M

Mustafajones

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
80-20

I think that poker is 80% skill and 20% "luck". The reason I probably feel that way is because There are a limited amount of top tier players. the same names in every final table pretty much and for me that has nothing to do with "luck" and everything to do with skill.

A student of the game in time reduces their reliance on "luck" with hard work and a lot of practice. I think "luck" comes into play when I call or go all-in pre-flop! No matter how good my hand is, the flop is a coin toss!

That's "luck" getting to a final table in any tournament is skill! in my opinion.

:)

J

Johnsouth

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It is both, luck and strategy as you can have AA, it's all about the way you play it someone else could have pocket pair and hit on flop or river you so i would say 50/50.

J

John bruce

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck

Poker is 90% luck in any single session
If you are making correct desisions then luck will account to 5% or less in a years time

If you need luck 90 percent and skill 10 percent of the time to win any single session. How can in a year it reverse. It can't. As usual a poker pro name Guss Hanson made a comment like that. Where is he today?

People like to say you wouldn't have the same people at the final table so often if it wasn't skill. Don't get me wrong 10 percent of skill will get you ahead of most but most people don't have the backing that pro players get. So pro players are involved in a ton more because someone else is paying sometimes a few re buys .They play in many more tourneys so of coarse your going to see them more at the final table. Most people know if you win 10 tourneys out of a 100 your doing good. Most non pro players can't afford but a few buy in so they may play in far less tourneys. It's like comparing apples to oranges. :star:
I believe if your patient and have a tremendous amount of luck you can win a big Mtt.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
If you need luck 90 percent and skill 10 percent of the time to win any single session. How can in a year it reverse. It can't. As usual a poker pro name Guss Hanson made a comment like that. Where is he today?

People like to say you wouldn't have the same people at the final table so often if it wasn't skill. Don't get me wrong 10 percent of skill will get you ahead of most but most people don't have the backing that pro players get. So pro players are involved in a ton more because someone else is paying sometimes a few re buys .They play in many more tourneys so of coarse your going to see them more at the final table. Most people know if you win 10 tourneys out of a 100 your doing good. Most non pro players can't afford but a few buy in so they may play in far less tourneys. It's like comparing apples to oranges. :star:
I believe if your patient and have a tremendous amount of luck you can win a big Mtt.

Of course anyone can win a tournament... although some would need to be relying on luck much more so than others.
Your estimation of luck involved in poker tells me that you're not very good. Don't get me wrong, you might be amazing vs. Cheswick, Harding & the gang (from the Cuckoo's Nest) but vs. good players, skill is extremely important and will ALWAYS matter... 100% of the time.

Rui Ferreira

Rui Ferreira

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hello! I can say that if you do not learn to play all the same experience in the end decides not luck!:icon_boun

I agree that there is a player and he is not a newbie, he leaves with an Ak hand and thinks he has an invincible hand, and AK is very good hand more than he has the possibility of losing the same as the others, he loses and thinks he was lucky from another player
So the more you study you will see that the skill and strategy prevail over luck

C

christosa197

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
70% luck !
30% skill !

that s the game !

J

John bruce

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course anyone can win a tournament... although some would need to be relying on luck much more so than others.
Your estimation of luck involved in poker tells me that you're not very good. Don't get me wrong, you might be amazing vs. Cheswick, Harding & the gang (from the Cuckoo's Nest) but vs. good players, skill is extremely important and will ALWAYS matter... 100% of the time.

Your to kind. I see your doing a bang up job on ACR to. I was a live player until I became disabled. Turning to the online world of poker has been a challenge in it self. I'm discipline enough to run deep and seems the only way I get knocked out is by suck outs. Not that suck outs don't happen just seems to happen allot more on ACR. Allot of online poker is luck. You may have some necessary skills on aggression and put odds and play the higher equity hands but with out luck. Your not getting hands to even play. You may get a few bluffs in but your never going to finish. The skill with luck gets you to the latter stages of tourney. I don't know really what percent of skill verses luck but trust me you can't win without luck. Have a nice day.

odo333

odo333

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that poker is 50% random game, the remaining 50% are skills and strategy

rikisrakis

rikisrakis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
An individual game of poker is, at least in part, very much a game of luck. But on a macro-level, several games of poker in the long run eliminates the luck aspect and is ultimately a game of almost entirely strategy. You can think about it as luck if you want, but it's more rational to think of it as a game of odds, where you can measure your odds as direct value regardless of whether or not you win a given hand.

U

Unashamed88

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

How about true mathematicians and pros like Barry Greenstein and Daniel Negreanu or Erik Seidel? Ivey? Esfandiari? All just lucky huh?

J

jbear54321

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's 75% strategy and 25% luck. Obviously people can be better players than others because of their skill. The more skillful players will consistently get deep into tournaments, but you have to get lucky on some 50/50 hands to finish in the money.

Rui Ferreira

Rui Ferreira

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
70% luck !
30% skill !

that s the game !

I think that poker is 50% random game, the remaining 50% are skills and strategy

n the past I thought just like you and mine was not evolving so I started studying my perception changed and my game improved 100%
So a tip study and you will see that bad beats happens is only accepted with naturalness

B

brightknight

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
For me, poker is built on strategy only, because its cornerstone is a theory of possibility and it's, how we know, a pure math. Luck also takes place, but if you make right decisions then you will get success in distance.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Your to kind. I see your doing a bang up job on ACR to. I was a live player until I became disabled. Turning to the online world of poker has been a challenge in it self. I'm discipline enough to run deep and seems the only way I get knocked out is by suck outs. Not that suck outs don't happen just seems to happen allot more on ACR. Allot of online poker is luck. You may have some necessary skills on aggression and put odds and play the higher equity hands but with out luck. Your not getting hands to even play. You may get a few bluffs in but your never going to finish. The skill with luck gets you to the latter stages of tourney. I don't know really what percent of skill verses luck but trust me you can't win without luck. Have a nice day.

It's obvious just from reading your comment that you're not a very good player. That's good news for you... it's only UP from here on in :)

What are you talking about when you say "I see your doing a bang up job on ACR to" ??
I don't even play on that site. But I might be doing decently on there if I was playing on a computer that was compatible with the site. Maybe we'll have to see sometime soon.

How about true mathematicians and pros like Barry Greenstein and Daniel Negreanu or Erik Seidel? Ivey? Esfandiari? All just lucky huh?

Yah JohnBruce... how bout it? And then add on another thousand more names of consistently winning players. Do they just get lucky more often than others? Is Negreanu just luckier than the rest of the nlhe tournament players?

scobido

scobido

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I say luck and strategy play their part in the poker game. Of course, luck is first and foremost to me especially when playing with beginners who tend to play all the hands.

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree that poker is a mix of luck and skill but not quite the way other folks here see it. Some players win more than others. The ones I notice are using luck in a skillful way. What I mean is they pick spots to make aggressive bets, even shoves, depending on their opponents bad luck. The skill is in reading players and making a move at the right time. What these players depend on is that 70% of the time or better the other player will not have a hand they want to call the raise with.

0t0

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been thinking about whether there is luck in poker or it's pure strategy because there is a lot of strategy, but we can not put aside luck, nothing that exists in the world can generalize, I think poker is 10% strategy and 90 % luck, why in an AA hand that you lose to 22 preflop! It's a bad luck you had! So poker for me is a mix of the two!

Once I lost with full house two times in a row:mad: and opponent was one guy. Anyone can tell, that to have four of a kind two times in row meanwhile other player has full house is a strategy?

jmateuspoker

jmateuspoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think both luck and skill help us to achieve the results

But even with a little luck you can be profitable if skilled but even with a lot of luck you can not be profitable without skill

So luck is what helps us drive a great tournament with great prize but the day to day allows played well win in itms and maintain a successful outcome in the medium and long term]

:jd4:mateuspoker

Flight777sem

Flight777sem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well sure luck is the part of the game. I mean nobody can’t win a tournament without a luck but some needs less than typical avarage. That’s what you call Strategy, it’s basically being a good player than most of the others