Luck or strategy

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's wrong that 90% luck. Then the poker stars would not be permanent best players. The most part in the game is skill and strategy. I think no less than 70%.

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
I have read many articles written by poker professionals and I have seen some tutorials of great professionals of poker ... and in the majority one does not speak of luck .... one speaks of probabilities ... the fact that a pair 22 you win a pair of AA is possible ... this is within the odds .... poker is not a game of luck ... if you know how to use the calculation of probabilities and statistics well and handle with criteria the ranges of hands ... as well as the category of combos ... you will have good results ... you will lose one hand but in the end you will win ...

A

Actor247

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck with wise decisions

Yes it is some luck. Unless you're really good at bluffing haha but there are also some skilll in it..knowing when to hold em or fold em AND knowing the cards to play and so forth and so forth. There are so many different factors to look at when it comes down to it.

T

Tylor Mendez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Essentially the best odds available preflop are 82% - 18% ...

Add skill and there is a higher winning rate. We can't have aces everyhand, but we can pray for it. =D

deform fedot

deform fedot

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'll tell you that's what. If you play super speed then you will not think big strategy. Without a doubt, strategy is the most important factor for victory, but if the game will be in 1 minute?
* The combination of logic, luck and perhaps even upbringing)). Well, of course, do not forget about the restraint of emotions. About tilt already we have talked many times))

VITOS

VITOS

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
All know players who pass under blow of bad rates one or several times. Such moments can strengthen all in a thought that it is impossible to win a game. But these examples render again that though the skill and skill of a game play a large role in poker, but also good luck is extremely important too. But, despite of it it is necessary to understand that the ability will always dominate over success in a long game. In this sense poker – as the stock market. There are excellent days, and happen just awful. Sometimes to people good luck comes and they take away bank, "catch" the perspective company whose actions constantly grow. And players in poker. Sometimes it is necessary months on catching good luck for a tail. In several books it to be said about poker that it is possible to spend over 1400 hours just to return the limit. But the constant good result demands very persistent trainings, and then you will be able to win in a month. Everything decides that how many you play and how many hours are ready to spend. If you train about three or four hours a day, then it is necessary for you everything, only a month or two weeks to notice progress in a game. You, most likely, know players, the breaking huge banks. Constantly, when they play, they win. Externally it seems that it thanks to improbable good luck. You are mistaken. When good luck does not smile, the same players will lose money very quickly. In one sunny day, naturally, good luck will face, and it is possible to rise by a top of rating of players quietly. However, having played a large number of sessions, the professional as a result will win. Good luck forces players to play worse Because of good luck, even the best players begin to play worse. When the person "caught" good luck, he gradually begins to lose. If good luck smiled to you, then have a rest and take an interest at yourself whether the truth is a good way of a game which you at the moment use. Good luck can come and leave in any second, and you are obliged to know your game and to return to bases of bases. If you play skillfully and constantly, then you have much more chances to win in distant prospect. Adequate bankrolla reduce reliability of good luck Decent bankrolla help to reduce good luck force – or its shortcoming – to a minimum. When you think well, you will win more low rates because inept players flaunt before you. If at you quite large in proportions to your game bankroll, then you do especially not worry. Always keep this quantity of money which you will be able to afford in the game chosen by you. It will help to forget about the bad rates made by you.

E

elvinkoh1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck in the short run, meaning your bad plays won't be necessarily punished immediately and your good plays won't be rewarded.

Definitely skill in the long run, meaning your bad plays will get punished and good plays rewarded.

Imagine a bag, where there is one black and three white balls. They're identical and you can't see which one you are taking out. What's the probability of taking out a white ball? Spoiler alert: 3:1 or 75%.

If you do it only once and maybe take out the black ball, what's the actual outcome? 100% Black Ball, 0% White Ball.
If you do the same thing 10 times, let's say you take the Black Ball out 3 times and the White Ball 7 times. Outcome: Black Ball 30%, White Ball 70%. Although unlikely, if you do it only 10 times, it might happen, that you take the Black Ball out 1 time or 4 times or maybe even 6 times.
Now, let's say you do the same thing 10,000 or 100,000 or 1,000,000 times. I can guarantee you, that the outcome will be ALMOST 75% White Ball and 25% Black Ball.

Deduction? You need a large sample size for the probabilities to work properly.

If you have 500$, you don't want to bet the whole amount, that the next ball taken out will be white, because 25% is still quite a big probability in the short run. You might get unlucky and lose all of your money. But, if you have 500$ you can quite comfortably keep betting 1-5$ and you will show profit in the long run.

Deduction: You need a good bankroll management to "survive" until the probabilities start actually affecting your results.

EDIT: Also, I think the sufficient sample size depends on the probability. Following the previous example, I think you're able to get your actual outcome matching to the expected outcome quite quickly, given that it's 75-25. But 60-40 or 55-45 will and should take longer time to get there.
Great point. However, you need to have the luck to play poker. Even though sometimes I have a great hand, still I manage to lose. Then those probabilities go in vain. However, great explanation and description.

pescaofish

pescaofish

Academic Poker
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
Variance

I will say is about 50% each one. although sometimes there is a sequence of bad luck or high "variance" and also some times several lucky hands in a row. :deal:

Anatoliy Tolik

Anatoliy Tolik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Step-by-step is experience, skill, cold-bloodedness. If you are a professional you have to know that AA is not a victorious card, you need to behave correctly in different situations with it.

C

Cromel

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Step-by-step is experience, skill, cold-bloodedness. If you are a professional you have to know that AA is not a victorious card, you need to behave correctly in different situations with it.

early tourney, table with no all-in-ers, raise 4bb, get 4 callers.7 8 4 flop, all in after with all but one fold, with middle pair, i win the pot...did i do alright?

gon4iypes

gon4iypes

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
greedy nephilim....we will NOT put an end to this or anything else for that matter....we will talk about anything we want to whether you like it or not. That's what the forum is about...chewing the fat and spitting it about. If you don't like it buzz off

deyvsonflp

deyvsonflp

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe you have strategy and a bit of luck. But if you depend on luck, it will not always lead you to good ways. If that player who paid with pocket 2 continues with this strategy, it will probably not be profitable.
Remember, "If you do not know where you want to go, any way is good."
Lewis Carroll

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's a combination of both 70% skill and 30% luck, and you need a lot of patience in the game and will have results!

Royal_074

Royal_074

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree that the luck is very important thing in poker but no more than 40 % another 50 % - skill and 10% is blaff

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've been thinking about whether there is luck in poker or it's pure strategy because there is a lot of strategy, but we can not put aside luck, nothing that exists in the world can generalize, I think poker is 10% strategy and 90 % luck, why in an AA hand that you lose to 22 preflop! It's a bad luck you had! So poker for me is a mix of the two!

To me poker has more luck involve when you play hyper tournaments because of blind structure.

When you play slower blind structures, more skill is in the game since more time to gather chips.

P

PLAYFUL1

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playful relys on her skillzs mostly just a lil luck thrown in is the ultimate combination to win hand after hand :five:

gardin555

gardin555

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Knowing your opponent, you can win a hand without knowing or looking at your cards.
Strategy and skill is high to luck, since you can win a hand with bad cards by cheating on your opponents, and cheating is an art in poker, a skill that is learned from experience, playing, studying and reading the opponent.
We will not play our AA pair twice in the same way, because the players are different and because we would be very predictable. To play them allin is to leave the hand fought to the luck, like bingo; but sometimes to play them that way in a certain situation, will be the correct movement.
I think if we can play our cards in a certain hand, with patience, concentration and skill, then we can manipulate good or bad luck and not depend so much on that.

R

Rational Madman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Tournament poker is designed to make luck matter far more than cash games. This is true. The skill factor thus is inhibited.

kena3000

kena3000

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree Satiivas, poker has this beautiful thing that makes you wanna scream on the table or in front the monitor when the flop doesn´t help you. More than luck, the good thing here is probability. It's essential to know all about the odds and how you are getting into a hand with a good balance for you to win it. Sometimes AA is beaten for a 23 but the chances to win are better for AA most times. Just like Forrest Gump said it "Shit happens"

Sorry for my English

Boltun

Boltun

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
of course the strategy here is to even argue about

Oliver Wayne

Oliver Wayne

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good Luck and Good Strategy to everyone)

This is ten percent luck, twenty percent skill.
Fifteen percent concentrated power of will.
Five percent pleasure, fifty percent pain.
And a hundred percent reason to win the game!

:D:D:D

Good luck and Have a nice day everyone)

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Despite the theory on odds, there's no disputing the fact that some of us lose with many (great starting) hands because of bad luck. Of course on the flip side a great many players win those hands with weak, sometimes ridiculously weak hands.

Will the odds ever catch up? Short answer - NO, not at the lower stakes. There are too many bad players willing to jump into any hand with Ace-trash or suited anything at any cost. The more crappy hands that play against your premium starting hand the greater the likelihood that you will lose.

90% luck/10% strategy? Probably in most games. There are exceptions that flip the odds back towards their theoretical values though. At the lower stakes, the most notable ones are the CC League games. The play is different in these games. People ARE trying to be strategic.