Luck or strategy

vitalicharniak

vitalicharniak

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only importance of luck in poker is that if luck didn't play any role, the lice would simply not play, because it is luck that gives them the opportunity to win from time to time

P

Povar_82

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In poker, 20% luck, 75% rake room and 5% skill.

IraiseThePot

IraiseThePot

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Easy reply, the shorter the run is the luck is more involved, and the longer the run is the strategy prevails. Luck is important like as in I would rather get lucky and hit those two outs in a 5k$ tourney or idk sunday million, than on a 11$ bounty. IN long run you will catch those outs same time on both type of tourneys, but you play little amount of high stakes, so better get lucky on them.

E

Evgich

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck, of course, will never prevent you from some key stages of your poker career. However, the skill, discipline and desire to work – that's the real secret of long-term success in this game!

K

killbello

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you are wrong, i think is 75% strategy and 25% luck

david1bear

david1bear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think its more like 30% luck and 70% skill:0) not saying that its not even 50/50 it just takes more skill then luck to take down pots:0) your cards could hit but you can have different scenarios come out on the turn and river to where a great player can make you fold your luck with a great bluff:0)

Ranish625

Ranish625

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not every strategy is correct, and to find the right strategy can take years, and it is not the fact that you do pick the right strategy game. And luck can come at any time when you do not even expect it.

pepsilv

pepsilv

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree, but without skill you might be a loosing player. It all abides together.

1sunchin

1sunchin

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Think about 50/50, but I prefer be lucky, cause my strategy I can change but my luck - nope.

P

Pickat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree that luck has it's influence on the game , but skill is definately the bigger influence . If you play a good strategy you can minimize the number of times you leave yourself vulnerable to variance .

J

johnbrazon42

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker "live" to me is a skill game if played properly. I find online play is too much luck based cause it's a program. My whole philosophy especially on Hold Em is that it's supposed to be a preflop game but so many players think any hand can win which is 100% wrong and has ruined a lot of the aspects of the game.

KidPoker116

KidPoker116

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a game of skill. In order to understand how you are a good player, you need to play in MTT's roughly about 5000 hands. In poker there is 5% luck, well, 95% is a game of skill. No need to confuse luck with skill. Millions of people earn and do not complain about luck.

Rui Ferreira

Rui Ferreira

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Poker is a game of skill. In order to understand how you are a good player, you need to play in MTT's roughly about 5000 hands. In poker there is 5% luck, well, 95% is a game of skill. No need to confuse luck with skill. Millions of people earn and do not complain about luck.

I agree just think that percentage of luck is a little higher 10% and there is a player who only thinks that luck is greater than ability is greater when he loses when he wins it is only joy
:birthday:

M

milo79

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i would say what i am thonking about it

i think it is a mix of both

but the luck lost me

lol

C

Cbob1195

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
there is a luck element to it but is you played that same hand 10 time AA would come out on top more than 22. how many times have you been behind and took the pot with some crazy river card ;) but the game a a whole is mostly strategy.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
80% strategy and 20% luck. You have to go in with a game plan and then know how to adjust to your table. You have to know how and when to get in with the best hands and how to extract the most value.

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good strategy is getting the best value you can when luck comes your way and avoiding a big loss when the "other guy" gets all the luck. The key here is that they tend to strike a balance. When your strategy tells you to fold A T when you're in the SB facing a big raise and a call and you would have lost had you stayed in the pot then is that "bad luck" that you had to fold A T? Here your strategy negates any real bad luck ie losing the hand if you had stayed. So let's say it's 50-50.

MAGICUZ

MAGICUZ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AA it is not a victory yet:cool:
if a person wants everything at once, he risks losing something.in poker, the main feeling, concentration, endurance and discipline and of course some luck;)

I

Izfensina

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker needs both components it's absurd to think that all we need is Skill or Luck we need both "Skills ,Strategy and technics" to win are nothing if we do not hit that lucky river.
Meanwhile a Lucky player who won some hands shoving all kind of garbage will not be a winner for the long run that's why when a Lucky guy wins a single game will not surface or win for a long long time but Good players and skilled ones will be always in late stages and will get more final tables than the average ones or the fun players.

Poker is a game where we meet all kind of players so prepare and get the skills to tackle all kind of players.
For me Poker is 80% Skills and 10% Randomness sorry I mean Luck.

Cherepashkakry

Cherepashkakry

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you want to win in poker, forget about luck. Mathematics shows that AAs win in 80% of cases, against two random cards. If you lose against 22, know that you did everything right, you will win at a distance.
You can still think about how to play AA, perhaps the post-flop game will be more profitable for you.

helpspb

helpspb

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need both to be successful. You can make all the good decisions and still loose to some guy who calls you down with 49o :D Personally, I need to work on my discipline. I make lot of bad decisions and get impatient, too. Yesterday, luck was on my side in many cases, but not enough in the end so I only finished 30th in Hot tourney. I like to believe skill is most important, but when you have lot of loose players with big stacks around you, it is difficult. You can wait for strong hand and play it well, but they can still win with luck.

E

Enthusiast

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course, the strategy and for long distances, it becomes clear, you may not be lucky day, week, month, but for a proper strategy and bankroll management you will all be well.

frost234

frost234

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
in the long run, strategy wins, not luck.