Hours wasted in freerolls?

D

darkgonz

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
PE
Chips
freerolls make you learn different poker scenarios against different types of players and learn more and more

H

hellomynameiswhat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like a freeroll usually that is a freezeout. In general I like freezeouts rather than rebuys. Still I would rather play a low stakes tournament that was a freezeout than a freeroll that was a freezeout.

C

CornY7Y

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First freeroll prizepool

Today I hit the prizes on a freeroll for the first time and won a ticket for $ 11. I will not use it right now, I will gain a little poker experience. :) :):)

M

Mr_Nuisance

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would estimate my time playing freerolls ranks in the weeks worth of in tournament time. I have performed multiple bankroll challenges coming up from $0, and obviously the only way to succeed in something like that is to put in countless hours into freeroll bankroll building. Once you hit the one big freeroll score though, hopefully you never have to look back.

BigCountryAA

BigCountryAA

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've put more than a few hours into freerolls. Wouldn't necessarily say wasted though.

V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course if money allows then you need to play as expensive as possible! But do not forget about good freerolls ( especially private ones) . In some of them, you can win good prizes without risk, and nothing prevents you from playing them in parallel!

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Free-rolls are good grounds for learning and testing different poker theories. Yes, everyone in free-rolls do not really play sound poker, but it does help with observing and noting tight/loose agro/passive players.
While early on, advance poker plays sail clear over heads, later on they may prove useful.
Another thing to note, not all free-rolls are created equal.

Agreed; I also like how you mention how not all freerolls "are created equal."

CardsChat freerolls actually offer the best oppurtunity for members to boost their bankrolls compared to all the other freerolls offered elsewhere
They are not any waste of time here as many CC'ers are great players ,now other non cc freerolls i will say are a shoot roll when seeing a shove every time
Only freerolls i do play are CardsChat ones,

Same. I've only played cardschat freerolls, but I like them a lot - even if the payout structure is really low; but then again, the buy-in was nothing so... :)

I love playing free rolls. I play for mostly fun. I have a lot of practice to do before I start spending a lot of real money

My feelings exactly. I might consider playing for money in the future, but the first step is freerolls and improving first: I just started Step 1 pretty recently :D

To me freerolls are definitely not a waste of time. But then again an individual might make the choice to waste the time spent there if he/she is not attempting to play them in a productive manner.

Productive manner is key. Anybody can get in a freeroll and ride a wave of all ins to make a stack... I mean every dog has it's day. But if you can be disciplined.. play the right way.. fold when the wave comes and 5 people are all in.. Then start picking them off. (But by all means if you have a monster join that crowd at the all in table..AA, KK)

Try to treat the freeroll as if you have skin in the game.. if not you're just wasting your time..

I put $100 bucks into poker just to have fun.. blew thru that in a month of messing around. Put another $100 in.. had it down to 70ish.. then decided to actually read.. watch videos.. join sites.. hit the forums..

Played a lot of freerolls while working on my discipline.. I mean if I can't have discipline there why would I keep throwing my money away entering tournaments? Still a MAJOR work in progress..

So I guess what I'm saying.. freerolls to me are a learning place.. not trying to get rich in them, but am trying to get to a better in how I play at them.

Oh, by the way.. got that 70ish back up to $97.37.

As with most things one works at improving: it should be in a productive manner. I entirely agree. It is a waste of time if one is repeating the same mistakes, but if one uses freerolls to work on their poker game (as a sort of training) and maybe make a little money on the side, then freerolls are certainly worth it.

if you don't have a bankroll then it's never waste of time if you want to try to build something from zero. If you want to try some new concepts vs recreational players then it's again no waste of time. If you play freerolls regulary and you try to win some few cents and everyday you make same mistakes and you don't try to improve your game then yes.. it's a waste of time.

+1 Same as the post I quoted above. Right now, I am newer to freerolls, but it isn't a waste of time for me because I use it to improve my game. Plus, it costs nothing so that is cool.

I've put more than a few hours into freerolls. Wouldn't necessarily say wasted though.

I've just started playing freerolls and I've already invested a few hours. I can see how one could easily lose track of how much time it consumes, but like you said, "Wouldn't necessarily say wasted though." :)

M

mclaughlinph

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say it is not a total waste as you can get a feel for the game and what people have based on the board by playing freerolls. But if you are already a microstakes player with a bankroll and have invested in training courses I would say they are a waste, because the level of play and the way people play because it didnt cost them anything makes for unreliable play. Where your aces get cracked by 72 offsuit to often. And everyone is to quick to shove there money all in to often that it becomes a crap shoot more so than playing poker.

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To each their own..

Some may look at free-rolls as a waste of time. It is funny, though, seeing a lot of the same names at the freebies on your different poker sites. And those names are grinders, know how to get Itm, what it takes, etc.
Players of various skill levels play the freebies.
Freebies are more for relaxation than profit.

gallora

gallora

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Time wasted in freerolls is a very fortunate time wasted. :stupido3:

S

soomass

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Not all freerolls are created equal. I would say private freerolls with 300 or less entries and no rebuys are the sweetspot. There will always be bad players with freerolls but if you can get ITM or close to it you can get some decent experience.

L

lablelarry

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I know I've wasted hours, but it's a good way to not bankroll a hobby

mkdrummey

mkdrummey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't regard the hours as wasted. I'm usually playing 3 or 4 freerolls at the same time as well as some other games online. Occasionally a late game keeps me up longer than I would like though.

C

caracaski220

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
caracaski220

I tend to aggree with you with respect to the huge amount of time that seems wasted on freerolls. However it is a way to start a bankroll from zero. And during the 5 months that we have been in quarentine here in Venezuela, Cardschat freerolls have made it bearable. Plu I have made a small bank roll and gotten funds on 4 different sites.

G

Gigio22

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm happy that poker sites offer freerolls for people to play.

tuku222

tuku222

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
just to practice the variations and complicated hands ..... that only by playing you get results !!:cool:

H

Hanosch

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Isn't time even more wasted if you lose in a tournament you paid for?

I mean, there reall, are freerolls that are a waste. I remeber the old pokerstars Freerolls, i tgink Hubble was their name. 10.000 people fight for 64 tickets to a (i think) 1.000$ tournament. Ugh.

Serjo600

Serjo600

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play freerolls only with a normal tournament share

S

SubZero111

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have wasted many hundreds of hours on freerolls. However I could have wasted the time bird watching or going to church just the same, so freerolls it is!!!

RimworldDoctor

RimworldDoctor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have wasted many hundreds of hours on freerolls. However I could have wasted the time bird watching or going to church just the same, so freerolls it is!!!

Exactly! Poker is a fun hobby and freerolls are a low-stress way to enjoy yourself. You can practice new tactics, and even earn a little bit of money if you get lucky.

Private freerolls are even more fun. I've grinded up to about $25 from nothing largely just doing freerolls. I've learned a lot about MTTs by doing them. Player quality isn't the best, but learning how to beat fish is also an important poker skill. :cool:

B

bigthereal

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah and if you are doing good, can win 1-2 bucks, sometimes more

Freeroll Passwords