Hours wasted in freerolls?

L

luddite20

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me freerolls are worth it because I haven't made a deposit on ACR yet, and it is how I built my bankroll which is now over $400. It's not a fortune and it was painstakingly slow and I might have done it differently if I did it over, but I wanted the challenge. I wanted to prove I was a winning player. Once I had some $ from freerolls I started small buy ins and if I didn't do well I would study more and drop back a level untill I built it back to where I felt comfortable buying in again. I enjoy this process, it makes me feel more secure, but I am starting to think that I might be missing out on opportunities.

Congrats, it's a real success. I won $165 from a $30 buy-in tournament which I was qualified after a freeroll and a couple of satellites. I couldn't be happier if I would win $450 from a $150 buy-in or something :)

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
freerolls are good for strengthening your poker skills and building your bankroll without the possibility of losing money. However, freeroll tournaments can be long and tiresome and sometimes can end without the desired outcome of winning any money but hey it didn't cost you any money.

Jim Rivas

Jim Rivas

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Congrats, it's a real success. I won $165 from a $30 buy-in tournament which I was qualified after a freeroll and a couple of satellites. I couldn't be happier if I would win $450 from a $150 buy-in or something :)
Freerolls still use it as a practice when I learn a new strategy in my repertoire of plays, hoping to make money with them would not be enough but if you gain experience if that is your goal.

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Freerolls are clearly good for building your bankroll without depositing cash.
It may be more lengthy but a great option.

Comarata3456

Comarata3456

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The truth for me is not a waste of time I enjoy it on the weekends that I have free, it is a very good time

Vuske111

Vuske111

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Woah this question really made me think. I played so much frerolls and wasted so much time on them but never really got much out of them, they are almost always turbo or even hyper-turbo format so variance is high and there is tons of crazy agressive players so from time to time you don't even fell like you are playing poker, sometimes it's more like bingo. That being said, i actually think frerolls on Cardschat are different and much better than average freroll you would find on most sites, player pool is limited and everyone takes it more seriously to there is actually place to learn, have fun, meet new peole and even earn some money, great stuff !

gambit1983

gambit1983

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Plenty of us have wasted hours on freerolls. It’s good practice tho

BigDice75

BigDice75

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I couldn't calculate the hours invested in freerolls in the seven or eight years I've been playing poker. At first it was the only way to build a bankroll; then, as it grew, the interest in playing for hours for a few cents decreased. Anyway, they were always, are and will be there, when the bankroll is at zero.

R

rigor mortis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are good enough to win some money at freerolls, it opens the door to play in cash games, staking increasing amounts on buy ins

RENEY444

RENEY444

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
although WPN just ended most of them

there was plenty to be made for months winning cash and tickets in freerolls on that site . they will probably start another heavy rotation in a few months , when they begin to promote the next big 'venom ' event .

diago726

diago726

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never, since playing freeroll one learns to play with maniacal, aggressive, passive players and everything, and then put into practice before a game or a major tournament.

Shakes

Shakes

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good practice the later you go in them to be honest and can try your strategies out later in the session. I have put too many hours into them. I just wish I had better successes in tournaments whether freeroll or buy-ins. Maybe I should just get a coach or something I dont know.

B

bowserdon

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I waste a lot of time in freerrolls but have won a bit love the CDN

S

sera121

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Over the years, especially in my early online poker days, I spent countless hours in freerolls. Why not, I was only working part time and going to school part time. Life was easy back then. Now, my time is limited for poker so I'm playing less and less freerolls, spending my time on actual descent size buyins so I can get a sizeable return for my time spent, granted making the money. Any thoughts on how much time you've consumed in freeroll land. Is it worth it?

Recently I have been playing very often freerolls at pokerstars, but I am already starting to get frustrated with that situation when you go vabank with a pair of TTs or KK very often you lose.

I lost 6 freerolls in a row with a pair of KKs in my hands, it's a shame but a fact. I also noticed that the more often you play, the less often you get winning combinations.
What is it connected with?

V

VBB112

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As others have said it's a good place to practice patience and they're also a good place to practice new moves. Get better behaviors baked into muscle memory instead of doing your learning/practicing with real money.

One frustration is often the players are so bad, and do such stupid things, that it's not the best place to work on solid fundamental poker. However, I do love when you catch a maniac. They go all-in. They go all-in. They go all-in. And then finally, you or someone else at the table wakes up with a hand. I LOVE that!

JSeer

JSeer

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Recently I have been playing very often freerolls at pokerstars, but I am already starting to get frustrated with that situation when you go vabank with a pair of TTs or KK very often you lose.

I lost 6 freerolls in a row with a pair of KKs in my hands, it's a shame but a fact. I also noticed that the more often you play, the less often you get winning combinations.
What is it connected with?

I lost with AA today on the second hand in to QJ that hit a set. I feel your pain! 😁

O

over_big

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls are great, but they are time consuming for sure.

A lot of folks try to double up a few times early or bust. Others are just screwing around. If you can time it right, you can be on the receiving end of their chip stack and chip up early and then either coast to the money or bully people.

If that doesn't happen, I try to make moves to stay around the average chip stack until the bubble. People usually tighten up and you can steal blinds to pad the stack even more.

Once the money is reached, I assume people try to play serious instead of donking off.

I view it as an exercise to try to read hands/test situations and get better without all the pressure of serious money on the line in the way of expensive buy ins.

If I had to put up serious money to buy in, I'm afraid I would be the biggest nit in the room. :eek:

Normino

Normino

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The freerolls on 888 poker arent too bad alot of people blind out to earn and your in the money within the first 55 minutes of play, acr i played 3 hour and 15 mins to place 14th to earn 36 cents on holdem..

pothead2012

pothead2012

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Guess it depends on the freeroll and your personal viewpoint if time spent in freerolls is wasted time, a few years back there was lots of good freerolls with decent payouts at the final table. Nowadays i think CC´s Freerolls are probably the best the ones from 888 are basically a lottery with their 3 minute blinds in which you´ll see 1 hand, even the ones for different club levels are 3 minute blinds unless you´re level 80+........so yea i guess what i´m trying to say is i like freerolls......888 not so much

F

FluDhs

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well i think it's a time for a little fun without pressure of a good result. Pure fun.

Normino

Normino

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Guess it depends on the freeroll and your personal viewpoint if time spent in freerolls is wasted time, a few years back there was lots of good freerolls with decent payouts at the final table. Nowadays i think CC´s Freerolls are probably the best the ones from 888 are basically a lottery with their 3 minute blinds in which you´ll see 1 hand, even the ones for different club levels are 3 minute blinds unless you´re level 80+........so yea i guess what i´m trying to say is i like freerolls......888 not so much

so far I am only on acr and 888 Poker any other free roll site suggestions? i just signed up for poker stars but couldn't enter any free rolls without any tickets.. Years back i played on absolute poker but stop due to all the losing than I googled poker sites last sunday to get back into trying to play again after playing play chips on zynga for a year+ also i found out absolute poker had a class action law suit because people could see other peoples hands. I just wanna earn a free bank roll than play for $$$ once hit about $50 per site maybe.. even if im only stacking pennys a day in the free rolls..

pothead2012

pothead2012

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
so far I am only on acr and 888 poker any other free roll site suggestions? i just signed up for poker stars but couldn't enter any free rolls without any tickets.. Years back i played on absolute poker but stop due to all the losing than I googled poker sites last sunday to get back into trying to play again after playing play chips on zynga for a year+ also i found out absolute poker had a class action law suit because people could see other peoples hands. I just wanna earn a free bank roll than play for $$$ once hit about $50 per site maybe.. even if im only stacking pennys a day in the free rolls..

like i sayed i think at the moment the Freerolls here from CC are probably the best ones pokerstars has a promotion for new players maybe give the pokerstars school a look for the freshman leaderboard, sadly i can´t tell you the specifics but i´ve seen they have freerolls for new players with a tiny 5$ pricepool but you collect points and at the end of the month you´ll get a Tourney$ reward based on your ranking. As for poker site suggestions i also play on Pokerstars,888 and since recently on ACR and GG the latter 2 mainly for freerolls since i can only deposit via bitcoin there. I also played on Absolute then i heard about the scandal so i stopped xD

jleon_zat

jleon_zat

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I never think it's a way to learn to play

L

lisdiked

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you enjoy tournament poker then no its not a waste of time if want to have fun, also gives you ability to practice playing poker for zero risk and chance and winning some money in the process, is it a waste of time if trying to make a good hourly playing then yh definitely doubt many freerolls pay out large sums, but it is a way to potentially get some money to invest into playing poker if you really want to risk nothing.

So long story short play them for fun only if like tournaments and don't care about making money lotta of money.

Ive never really played them just cause I don't enjoy tournament poker I get bored find that format boring for the most part (think big reason is cause its full ring so meh and its correct to just be very tight risk averse in the beginning both pre and postflop more specifically), so unless or until run deep or final table it's just boring and it's shortstack poker, so err no it's not waste of time if you like that game format if don't then yes it is can be good tool for learning how to play short though as other people have said lot of the freerolls that are offered you start short anyways or blind levels are quick or big jumps.

Freeroll Passwords