Folding AA on the bubble

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would call for sure, but it would be stressful. Because even though I know that's the right thing to do, I know there's a chance I'll get knocked out when I could have likely coasted into the money. And even though we try to chalk it up to that's what poker does to you sometimes, that would be a situation where it would be more painful to lose.
this is very understand able, but the goal isn't to coast into the money with mtts. it's to go for the top prize. in majority of situations, you won't have aces or a hand where you'll have to risk your mtt life and you can just get into the money. at the same time, you shouldn't be passing up huge +ev spots because you deny yourself so much value when you do.

there is always some risk of you going bust and missing out of the money (1/5x) but you earn so much more money when you hold that it makes it worth the risk.

A

acemenow

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What would the math be to figure out what the ICM value is for this spot? I'm tight, and my gut is you have enough chips to find a better spot. I always want to know what the right mathematical answer is though.

I had to think about this a bit, I agree it would be nice to know the math to this. And I would like to get to the point where I can figure that out relatively quickly let alone long after the game with a calculator available. But I am unclear at this point as to how I would even calculate that given you have at least 3 tables assuming a 9 max.

From my perspective:

You only have 1 player shoving to you, with an 80% +ev holding aces in your hand how much of a better spot do you expect to find yourself in?

If I am correct in my understanding, poker wins in tourneys are often determined by the flips you get in, and how well you do in those flips. With AA you can't get better preflop odds consequently,to my thinking my bankroll should be enough that just getting to ITM is not my objective nor is it helping me in my overall progress with the game. Personally I would snap call if 3 were in the hand, but I am aggressive.

I guess I look at this as an opportunity to stack not a spot to use caution. If I lose on to the next one with no regret -

V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
tell, what's it like buying into an mtt and never playing a hand? do you just click auto fold or do you fold each hand manually? if you're folding aces in this spot, i don't see how you can justify playing any other hand in any other situation.

also, i guess your strategy in poker tournaments is to hold onto your chips as long as possible, right? i bet you outlast more than half the field every time, too.
Sorry for the wrong information (I confused the bubble with the satellite)! In a regular freezeout, this is of course a call. since the minimum prizes are not what we want to achieve! But in a satellite with a passing stack, I would of course throw AA out! Thank you for the error and good luck!

E

EarnDAStack

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fist bump Snap Call and I'm starting to look for what kind of champagne I want to drink when I win the tournament a few hours later.

As the saying goes, the hand plays itself

Liedust

Liedust

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Instant call...if i lose bad luck
Regards.

Slav4obaby

Slav4obaby

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You must call him I mean we play for money bigger stack = more money. The biggest mistake is to play for min cash :)

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi guys, tournament play can influence the decision-making process so I wanted to know your play in this type of situation:
You're holding AA on the BB with 30BB / 28 players remains and only 27 get paid. you're in 16th position and the CO who got you covered moves all in. action fold to you.
what's your decision ?

Snap call. You rarely get better odds in poker than getting AA all in preflop, so this is a dream spot even on the bubble. Only exception is, if this is a satellite. Then you fold everything, until someone has busted, and the ticket is yours.

V

valts102

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never folding AA on the bubble,exepct sattelite tournaments.

E

Enimen18

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would never fold AA preflop except like another player said I only in a satellite tournament. Its the best starting hand in the game. If you are so concerned about making the bubble, just to get your money back then you aren't playing to win. Frankly folding AA or any hand you think you're ahead in on the bubble is playing scared. If you made it to the bubble playing scared then you only made it that far because you ran hot the whole game.

S

skin_ak

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
just curious, but why would you fold aces in this spot?

i folded because i play for fun and just geting to the money is so important to me because i dont think i could win final table a few time but never won one hope that clears why i folled aa

S

skin_ak

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1 against 1 i would definitely call.
In the beginning i played to get ITM, in the money.
Now i play to hit the final table.

You should be ashamed folding AA, 1 against 1....:aetsch:
this was not against 1 it was against 3 other players

gupiel0k69

gupiel0k69

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
Never fold AA unless it's a sattelite bubble and you got a deep stack or you're playing a tournament waaaaay higher than your bankroll allows you.

foran

foran

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
payment, the only way to fold is if it's an itm of thousands of dollars.

N

nellorossi83

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AA is a allin in any condition. There is no way dont call any preflop bet

K

kodym311

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have only played in one tournament before and we were about 50 away from the bubble. A guy open-shoved for around 80BB and I looked down and I had pocket aces. I instantly called and he had KK. I just don't believe in folding the best hand preflop, no matter what the odds are.

Branimir84

Branimir84

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HR
Chips
If you are folding AA pre flop to one raise in NLHE, you should stop playing the game.

That move is actually technically illegal and would be deemed as collusion if brought to light with disciplinary measures taken against you.

brunonick269

brunonick269

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never play to be in the premiayion, I always play to be first, AA is the best option before flop so I call. If you get play only to be in money and after you make moves you will almost never be in first. And when we are in the bubble we have to press the other and I gues is that a tight are doind in the CCO.

E

ekgbeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I had to think about this a bit, I agree it would be nice to know the math to this. And I would like to get to the point where I can figure that out relatively quickly let alone long after the game with a calculator available. But I am unclear at this point as to how I would even calculate that given you have at least 3 tables assuming a 9 max.

From my perspective:

You only have 1 player shoving to you, with an 80% +ev holding aces in your hand how much of a better spot do you expect to find yourself in?

If I am correct in my understanding, poker wins in tourneys are often determined by the flips you get in, and how well you do in those flips. With AA you can't get better preflop odds consequently,to my thinking my bankroll should be enough that just getting to ITM is not my objective nor is it helping me in my overall progress with the game. Personally I would snap call if 3 were in the hand, but I am aggressive.

I guess I look at this as an opportunity to stack not a spot to use caution. If I lose on to the next one with no regret -

Thank you for the thoughtful reply. That is the beauty of poker, so many different players and thoughts around the game. For me, I would rather cash, and flip in a more secure spot. Pros would shove it all day.

D

digdug0037

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have done it, but I look at the money I spent to get into the tourney, my current chip stack, money up top, and the chip stacks left at the table. In a live tourney I will also go all in every single time, online I am a bit more cautious for obvious reasons.

I

icaroferrarini

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Already fold AA but never pre flop kkkk

marvinsytan

marvinsytan

I'm going to win The PokerStars Sunday Million
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PH
Chips
in a satty only but never in any other game pre-flop that I will fold Rockets

M

Mr_Nuisance

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that I fold this no matter what in order to secure the cash, especially being about mid pack in the remaining players. I think that being the literal bubble, playing 30 BBs deep, any hand is a fold if you are shoved on with a smaller stack than the shove.

M

MakTrue

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always call if the minimum prizes in this tournament do not significantly affect my BR. If even minimal prizes are important, I’ll throw out the rockets.
I’ll also throw in the satellite, since I already go through. Why unnecessary risk?

gallora

gallora

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a hand that is never folded. Even if logic requires it.
:)

B

bellicoso

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys, tournament play can influence the decision-making process so I wanted to know your play in this type of situation:
You're holding AA on the BB with 30BB / 28 players remains and only 27 get paid. you're in 16th position and the CO who got you covered moves all in. action fold to you.
what's your decision ?

Call

Folding in Poker