Folding AA on the bubble

gambit1983

gambit1983

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can understand folding kings here, but aces?? Damn that’s pretty hard to do. It’s probably worth it to risk going allin with aces and getting a nice stack going into the money, than taking bottom prize folding on the bubble. You would probably kick yourself later on saying “why didn’t I call with those aces”

flattershay

flattershay

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on which tournament. If it's a super high stake then I fould sadly fold, but if it's an low-mid stake MTT, then it's an easy call. Also, I would fold on satellite tournaments.

018smitty

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I had this situation against a bigger stack. I instant called. Of course we all know what happened. Lol. No regrets

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I have to think how many chips I have and how many my opponent has, if they win, can I resist even if it is to win something? is it worth the risk being so close?

A few days ago I saw a player, I don't know if he's a pro team or something like that, this player had AA few people left to come out and someone bets everything, that player had more chips, and the pro team thought about it a bit, he folded , I guess I thought it was not worth the risk being so close to entering the awards, I will look for the video and leave it here

YenRodriguez

YenRodriguez

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would play all in, just yesterday I was in a tournament right in the bubble and a player got AA and played them all in and they paid him, he went straight to the first position with a good stack of chips.

diego farfan

diego farfan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BO
Chips
depending on the position and the amount of chips you have but generally those very strong hands tend to be weak so to ensure a good flod payout

1player2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello,

Depending on the size of the min-cash and the relevance of that amount to your bankroll I'd say this play could've been justified.

Porras2424

Porras2424

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Excellent premium hand, but if we are in the hour of the bubble and the chips we have hold us waiting that we are not the ones who have to leave, any good hand plays a boot or includes premium hands, another would be that we are not or that we do not have chips to endure the moment of the bubble, we have to push what we have left and that the variance of the moment is what decides ,,, luck and patience ,, if it is time to leave ,, it will be for another, life keep going,,,,

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
You get it all in with AA if it's against just one player. Thinking every time no matter the bubble, unless for some reason the min cash payout is very important to you financially.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If we mainly play to min-cash, then we should play DoNs or perhaps 9-man SnGs. If we have decided to enter an MTT, we should focus on maximizing EV and not on min-cashing. This does not mean, that we should go totally bonkers and only care about winning the tournament. But if our equity is high enough, which it always will be with AA preflop, that overrides the fact, that chips won are less valuable than chips lost.

The only reasonable exception might be, if we somehow won an entry to a high stakes tournament, that we are never going to play again, and where even a min-cash would significantly improve our financial situation. If we are behind on our mortgage and risk losing our house, and a min-cash could have solved that, it would be reckless to not secure it before trying to accumulate chips to run deep in the tournament.

Another example is, what David Fishman did in the TV-show "big game" after being up more than 100.000$. The rules did not allow him to leave ahead of time, but now playing with his own money, he knew, he would not be able to take any risks, and the pros would likely understand this and relentlessly push him around. So he wisely decided to just fold every hand and pay the blinds and antes, until the game was over. He famously folded AA, and the flop then gave another player quads.

D

denis_og79

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
no way, you have to play to eliminate without fear

B

beatlebug

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would not fold my aces on the bubble. I will play them no matter what the game brings.

Beatlebug

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I have done it several times, one I particularly remember was in a huge Tournament where the top 250 made the money and I was in 75th place well in the money, when it started to play "Hand for Hand" I was dealt A/A and one of the smaller stacks shoved all-in I was going to call, Luckily the chip leader sat at the same table re-raised all-in before me.
If I had called I would have gone out along with the short stack, but as it happened I reluctantly folded my A/A facing an all-in from the chip leader.
You need to understand A/A is not a magical hand that never losses, because it does, around 20% of the time, Yes against a shorter Stack it is an instant call, but against a bigger opponent it is definitely a fold, especially when close to the bubble.
Save your chips for a better position and wait for the smaller stacks to bust out.

When the fun Stops, STOP!

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you just go to the tournament for a tournament ticket you are clearly throwing. However, if it is a regular tournament where the prize money is, then this is clearly a good opportunity to double the chip, because the goal is ultimately the tournament win and the prize that comes with it, I think. :rolleyes:

JOSEALBERTV

JOSEALBERTV

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think everything will depend on how important it would be to you in the tournament at that moment, it depends on your stack and who your opponent has.

A

airwalker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do it in the bubble of second step of 1M$ GG weekly tourney.

J

Jedrey

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I would call ALL in, I would raise my chips and move up.
More bearing in mind that I can lose everything and if that happens, you didn't see me blame, because it was a decision I made

kanogott

kanogott

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
First i would split the answer in two questions. Is it a satellite or a tourney for ranking, there are alot of situations in which the fold is profitable. So you are in the first half ouf the players and only 10% more must be out you must fold every single hand. More as a ticket you could not win. So it is a negative value to gave the opennent a chance to win important chips. In a normal tourney you must play nearly 100% of the AA. Especially preflop it is a clear allin call. You are the favorite and your value is highly positive. Sometimes you loos those hands and getting the bubble boy. If you see this result alone, it is very hard and it seemed to be a bad decision, but in most of the times you win the hand and earn alot of chips. So your future value is rising and you getting more chances to go deep in the tourney. If you play on the same buyin level and you have the money to play alot of tourney on this buy in level and you have the time to could endure the variance allways play this hand preflop. If you win a ticket for a buy in you normally didnot play because of your bankrollmanagement it could be a good decision especially multi way preflop. Because you have no time to wait of the other side of the variance. After flop it could be easier to fold because the dynamic of the hand. Is there a straight possibility or a flush. If you are a good player you must check if the AA is not the best hand for the five hole cards. And you must fold the hand.

GRIN281289

GRIN281289

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It all depends on the amount of the prize money and how this player played before this turn.

Vivaly

Vivaly

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I will shout, of course, but I will call. :motz:
Because, most likely, we are talking about inexpensive tournaments.

A

Alisson_Luiz

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it depends on the position of the table and how the opponent is playing the other hands, almost always all in.

Folding in Poker