rastapapolos

rastapapolos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
Hi guys, tournament play can influence the decision-making process so I wanted to know your play in this type of situation:
You're holding AA on the BB with 30BB / 28 players remains and only 27 get paid. you're in 16th position and the CO who got you covered moves all in. action fold to you.
what's your decision ?

F

fourroses

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if some player who playes tight goes all in I would pass ,if a loose player goes all in I would take and wenn nobody goes all in and not more than two players rise Iwould goes all in

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if some player who playes tight goes all in I would pass
wow, solid pass with aces vs a tight player that's all-in preflop when you dominate your opponent's jamming range. /s

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
lol get it in pre. who cares about the bubble or being 16th/28?

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
for me i pay for fun and to get in the money is evertthing it my next couple of game thanks for reply
think of how much money you can make when you run deep after getting it in preflop as a huge favorite and holding. it's a lot more than a min cash.

however, you do what you enjoy and you think is best. good luck to you.

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I try to stay away from absolutes like always and never. I don't want to say that I'm always calling or never folding. As always, it depends. In this case it would depend on what kind of read I have on the villain. It would also depend on what I was playing for. Are you playing for the min cash or are you going for the win.

You don't say anything about the villain, except for what position they were in at the table. What I do know is that what I see all the time is big stacks constantly and repeatedly going all-in as the bubble approaches to put pressure on the shorter stacks who have to put their tournament lives at risk to make a call. They know that, after making it that far, no one wants to risk getting knocked out so close to the bubble. I've come to expect my blinds to face all-in raises from either the HJ, CO or the button, and even the SB, especially when they have me covered. All I hope for is a decent hand that I can call with. I've made the call in this spot with as little as Q-10 and found that the villain had shoved with Q-6. So, even though I try no to say always and never, I'm always going to call in this spot. I'm never folding aces.

Since you're asking the question here, I can guess what happened. You made the call. The villain turned over some garbage hand, but sucked out on you. Maybe they turned over J-7 and ended up catching four running cards to make a 7 high straight or something like that. And now you're second guessing you decision to call. I've had it happen to me. But I've also had my hand hold up and found myself catapulted way up the leaderboard and gone on to win tournaments after making calls in spots like this. So again, not ever going to fold. Always going to call with A-A here.

Last edited:

5KINGLEO5

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would call. because the player will play very widely trying to pick up the blinds.

rastapapolos

rastapapolos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
Since you're asking the question here, I can guess what happened. You made the call. The villain turned over some garbage hand, but sucked out on you. Maybe they turned over J-7 and ended up catching four running cards to make a 7 high straight or something like that. And now you're second guessing you decision to call. I've had it happen to me. But I've also had my hand hold up and found myself catapulted way up the leaderboard and gone on to win tournaments after making calls in spots like this. So again, not ever going to fold. Always going to call with A-A here.

Yeah villain had KJs and made a flush, I think that folding was probably the best option especially if someone play a lot of MTTs.. Making it in the money and after that playing his normal poker

rastapapolos

rastapapolos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
I would call. because the player will play very widely trying to pick up the blinds.

Yeah you're 4to1 favorite but we're on the bubble, that means that 4 time we're in the money and 1 time busted out. But if we consider folding I think it's 100% in the money

nimburkx

nimburkx

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on the cost of the tournament if their solid money paid I just pass it, but its a very heavy decision. Frankly, in 90% percent with AA, I just go all in without thinking most of the time only in critical situations I pass it.

Pindiez

Pindiez

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that I call! It’s probably that in this situation the other player want pick up the blinds. If you have AA is impossible fold. The best option for me is call 😎

Sorry for my english 😬

pescaofish

pescaofish

Academic Poker
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
Say, You are holding the Nuts Preflop, Ok, I will pay All in, unless the Tournament payout structure is tempting. :as4::ah4:

M

myquickwit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm calling the all in here every time. Maybe this is not the correct decision when it comes to ICM but I'm just not folding AA against one player. There are so many factors though. How much was the buy in? How much does the min cash pay? How deep am I bankrolled etc, but I'm just not folding unless the min cash was very significant to me and calling is no longer worth the risk.

pocketace222

pocketace222

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AA on the bubble

Well that's what I'm looking for right ???? I play to win the game you play to win the game.... as my man Herm Edwards once said. I call everytime no matter if I have 5 bigs or 160. But I have been in spots like that Ak go for it and lose such a bad feeling

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
usually against a single player. I call my opponent's all-in even before the bubble. of course it's risking even with AA. because in the end it's always the flop that dictates its law. especially when you are already well positioned to reach the ITM places. but don't forget that you have a chance to double your stack and have a definite advantage in this end game over other players.

W

wizcup

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it depends on your goal. If your goal is to cash, fold was the best option. However, if your goal is to win the tourney, you should call.

In this very case, bad beat happen. But, just forget it, if not, you will have a tendency or habit to fold premium hands against any 3-bet or shove.

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The only way I would fold AA is if it was a satellite and I was positively guaranteed a prize.

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In a tournament, I hardly fold with AA, maybe if it is a tournament of more than 100 dollars, my legs will tremble.
But if you have good bank management, you shouldn't mind losing with AA close to itm.

J

jmg199

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One spot away?
I'm absolutely folding in that situation

M

moshie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Icm wise it sucks. 1 from the money. But how much better can you get your chip in
than AA against one player? Pre flop you can't be beat only tied if he has AA. I am getting my stack in and happy too.
Are you going to find a better possible situation?

k0dka

k0dka

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only situation where I see this as a fold is when the spot is in a tournament way above your level and a min-cash would substantially increase your bankroll. But you shouldn't be playing such games, unless you won a ticket. Another situation could be a satellite, where you essentially win the tournament if you get ITM. Every other time - call, irrelevant of the opponent's ranges and strategy.

venycyos

venycyos

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
wow, solid pass with aces vs a tight player that's all-in preflop when you dominate your opponent's jamming range. /s

I agree with you, I would pay for the tight, I know what he has and most likely he is dominated. as to the loose. Only the feeling of the tournament would say.

zwbb

zwbb

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In this situation, I would have thrown out AA to enter the prizes

Folding in Poker