Folding AA on the bubble

Pufik

Pufik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depend on how much is smallest payout. if this is big mtt for you like 50$ or 530$ and smallest payout is huge money for you, then go fold. But if it´s a normal mtt which are you playing daily and smallest payout is small money for you like 1-2buy in i would like to go ALL IN.
He don´t have to monster hand, he just want steal blinds because he knew that if you are calling him and lost you are out.

Detr1st

Detr1st

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nerves of steel

Undoubtedly, in this situation, the correct solution is fold. However, not many people are capable of such a decision. Those who can overcome themselves and fold such a strong hand on the bubble, will really be able to be called good poker players

J

James24543

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys, tournament play can influence the decision-making process so I wanted to know your play in this type of situation:
You're holding AA on the BB with 30BB / 28 players remains and only 27 get paid. you're in 16th position and the CO who got you covered moves all in. action fold to you.
what's your decision ?

This is a terrible mindset to focus on getting into the money as opposed to getting into first place.

:bike:

J

James24543

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Undoubtedly, in this situation, the correct solution is fold. However, not many people are capable of such a decision. Those who can overcome themselves and fold such a strong hand on the bubble, will really be able to be called good poker players

This is terrible advice. :bike:

The goal is to come into 1st place.

L

lewis99

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
gday all...regular tourney always call or shove..satty u have to make so many places,then u might fold..

KeyJey

KeyJey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Monsters like AA are hard to lose, no matter who says it. I would do the same for you. Would call an all-in opponent

S

steve01991

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i tend to agree, you have the best hand going in, why not shove and make everyone else think about their chances!

Crash Burn

Crash Burn

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Me when I play poker and to win the tournament in the first place. With an AA about to burst the bubble, I go all-in all the time. If I fall into the game, I will not enter the ITM.

A

abpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would call for sure, but it would be stressful. Because even though I know that's the right thing to do, I know there's a chance I'll get knocked out when I could have likely coasted into the money. And even though we try to chalk it up to that's what poker does to you sometimes, that would be a situation where it would be more painful to lose.

Last edited:
SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think I could fold there. I did fold AJ suited and AQ off with less than 10 players to the money at the 2019 wsop Colossus...and I did cash...if I had AA in the same position, I probably would have gone all in...and maybe would have been out of the money.

andreypuch

andreypuch

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Somewhere I met, in theoretical articles, that experienced players often drop even two pocket Aces on the bubble. Pocket Aces and Kings are often discarded, especially when considering opponents ' stacks. That's probably why They are great players. Yesterday I couldn't reset AA, the opponent called with J9 and collected straight, and I was out of the tournament on bubble.

S

Snake2007

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is no decision to take all in from any position.

saha2000

saha2000

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If only one player went all in, I'd rather call, it's obvious that this is a difficult decision at this stage of the tournament, but despite everything you want to do in the top position, you have to play such a hand.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I am going to assume we are not in a satellite here. In a satellite here I would be folding as 27th is just as good as 1st. For a normal tournament though if you are thinking of folding you need to ask yourself what are you afraid of in this spot? If you are afraid that the villain could have KK or and a hand like J10 suited and will beat you 18% or 21% of the time then I am not sure how you could make any bet in poker unless you have the nuts. You need to be able to shove in these spots and not worry about the few amount of times you lose. Notice how this is very different than if you said I have QQ here. I am not advocating folding QQ in this spot either but at least you could say well he could have AA or KK which crushes me and AK which I basically flip with. Here with AA you flip with nothing. The closest villain could be minus the other AA combo would be if they have 65 suited. Even then they are only winning 22 ish% of the time. AA should give you no fear in a regular MTT and is a hand that you should be jamming every time someone goes all in before your action.

If I've 3 or 4bbs but there's a handful of players left that are shorter than me and folding would guarantee cashing, I would seriously consider folding. But this is a very specific scenario where you're majorly short on chips and virtually have no realistic chance of getting any more than a min cash. In pretty much every other scenario, I'm getting my chips in a looking to push on to the final table and the win.

Benkisto_BR

Benkisto_BR

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The action is to raise the bet, which will depend on the type of raise with the amount of chips. If you are strong in chips, the tendency is to give a standard raise, so that someone else can join. If you are weak it is better to give allin.

M

mara2259

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your decision in this situation depends on what goal you are pursuing. If you are at the initial stage of the formation of a bankroll and you are dear to every cent won, a net fold. But if you want to rise as high as possible or even win a tournament, then a more advantageous situation to double is simply hard to imagine. Well, of course, intuition plays an important role. Now you have the strongest hand, but there are still 5 cards ahead that often bring surprises. Good luck:confused:

Serg77

Serg77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys, tournament play can influence the decision-making process so I wanted to know your play in this type of situation:
You're holding AA on the BB with 30BB / 28 players remains and only 27 get paid. you're in 16th position and the CO who got you covered moves all in. action fold to you.
what's your decision ?
It depends on what are you expecting for. If you feel that you are going to win this tournament and prizes are not too much - call/raise/all in. If you don't feel you are able to win and you are happy be 27th so fold and take it easy. Yesterday I had the same situation. I wanted to win that why I said call and lost (on ps by the way)

O

OnitheCroc

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
aa on the bubble

Always play aa strong especially against loose players on the bubble but it depends on your philosophy do you want to win the whole tourney or just get paid ?

E

ekgbeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Snap call. No ICM implications here unless its a satty. Just my opinion. But I am not playing to ITM I am playing to win.

What would the math be to figure out what the ICM value is for this spot? I'm tight, and my gut is you have enough chips to find a better spot. I always want to know what the right mathematical answer is though.

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
AA would be a hand that I would have a hard time folding in that position. Being on the bubble makes almost all players in the tournament anxious about the bubble bursting.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me personally, this is an easy fold (having a straight stack, I will fold 100% of my hands)
tell, what's it like buying into an mtt and never playing a hand? do you just click auto fold or do you fold each hand manually? if you're folding aces in this spot, i don't see how you can justify playing any other hand in any other situation.

also, i guess your strategy in poker tournaments is to hold onto your chips as long as possible, right? i bet you outlast more than half the field every time, too.

57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
lol get it in pre. who cares about the bubble or being 16th/28?

I agree with this, The only way I'm folding Aces in this spot is if their is more than 3 players all in. That is when your percentage of winning isn't good anymore.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
lol, this so bad.

nobody is ever saying 'he folded aces on a non-satellite bubble to ensure their min-cash instead of getting it in preflop as a huge favorite to increase their chances of winning the mtt, what a good player!'

but please, keep patting yourself on the back and thinking you're making a solid fold in this spot.

Folding in Poker