Ask Ryan Laplante About Tournaments

Adi8877

Adi8877

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How do you play example in a tourney around 1k players before reaching the ITM, you're low stack max 10BB and 20-30 players should relegate for reaching money??? What do you do with small pairs example? or AJ AQs cards?

B

Budh43210

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Best Advice

I play live tournaments pretty well in my opinion. What is your best advice for playing in online tournaments as clearly there are some different things to consider.

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi Ryan would like to know which tournament format is best and what are the values for who is starting and has a low bankrrol?
Low stakes sngs or cash, or small field tourneys.

If you have 100$ or less stick the the $1 games.

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How do you play example in a tourney around 1k players before reaching the ITM, you're low stack max 10BB and 20-30 players should relegate for reaching money??? What do you do with small pairs example? or AJ AQs cards?
Depends on position. This short we can still generally jam fairly loose. Really tighten up when 10 or less away tho.

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Online is mostly about having great fundamentals and understanding general adjustments.

Ahoy

Ahoy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey Ryan

Have you ever played Sit and go hyper 6max or similar actively?
Im trying to find some study materials for this more than constant ICM calcs

Any ideas?

Miguel Chacon

Miguel Chacon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Advice on MTTs and Sit&Go's

Online is mostly about having great fundamentals and understanding general adjustments.

Hi Ryan hope your awesome!

this is my situation: I've been playing poker already for a almost two year and have manged to gain around 800$ from a $0 bankroll with freerolls and playing all types of games (MTTs,sits, cash games) on the MicroStakes... finally I will have time to dedicate to Poker at a full time trying to become a proffesional and make a living...

after all I want to dedicate to Sit&Go's and MTT

Even though I' doing well on MTSits I mean have reached first, second and third place enough times to profit from it (this on sizes of 180,90 and 45 people sits) I've never been able to reach an FT on a MTT (usually around 2.5k or 3k entrants) most of times I might reach ITM but is hard for me at the final stages my best result have been 17th place on a $0,55 Big on PS...

so my questions are :
is this normal or common?
could you give me an advice how to improve my game?
if have some material with basics things I should know
and of course anything else that you can help me with

thanks a lot for reading I'll be looking forward to your response

madjek

madjek

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play low stake live tournaments often. Starting stack is low, blinds fast. For example, 10k starting stack blinds start 25/50, 15 min levels.

I seem to do well often early, but seems that when blinds get into the 500/1000 range I very rarely seem to be able to build a stack. I seem to slowly lose my stack, unless I get great cards, and usually end up in shove or fold mode. What size stack do you tighten up? Bully? Try to see flops? Nothing I do seems to work. Say I have 60-70k chips, I feel comfortable with 60bbs so I don't want to start throwing chips away, but before I know it blinds are 1/2k with ante and suddenly I'm down to 25 bbs with antes and feeling desperate , when half hr before I was feeling good. Should I just take more chances and be aggressive , what is a good stack size

seeyouthru

seeyouthru

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
what should you do in a tourney with 2 hour late reg time and unlimited rebuy?
you can't really build a stack in early stages because players are calling very loose

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey Ryan

Have you ever played Sit and go hyper 6max or similar actively?
Im trying to find some study materials for this more than constant ICM calcs

Any ideas?
I've not played many hypers, but I believe RaiseYourEdge and upswing should have some SNG content, otherwise RunItOnce will.

I'd also get SnapShove.

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Ryan hope your awesome!

this is my situation: I've been playing poker already for a almost two year and have manged to gain around 800$ from a $0 bankroll with freerolls and playing all types of games (MTTs,sits, cash games) on the MicroStakes... finally I will have time to dedicate to Poker at a full time trying to become a proffesional and make a living...

after all I want to dedicate to Sit&Go's and MTT

Even though I' doing well on MTSits I mean have reached first, second and third place enough times to profit from it (this on sizes of 180,90 and 45 people sits) I've never been able to reach an FT on a MTT (usually around 2.5k or 3k entrants) most of times I might reach ITM but is hard for me at the final stages my best result have been 17th place on a $0,55 Big on PS...

so my questions are :
is this normal or common?
could you give me an advice how to improve my game?
if have some material with basics things I should know
and of course anything else that you can help me with

thanks a lot for reading I'll be looking forward to your response
Pretty typical, large field tourney are very hard to final table.

Study lots and focus on working hard on your game and play lots of volume.

Hard work + volume = Results.

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play low stake live tournaments often. Starting stack is low, blinds fast. For example, 10k starting stack blinds start 25/50, 15 min levels.

I seem to do well often early, but seems that when blinds get into the 500/1000 range I very rarely seem to be able to build a stack. I seem to slowly lose my stack, unless I get great cards, and usually end up in shove or fold mode. What size stack do you tighten up? Bully? Try to see flops? Nothing I do seems to work. Say I have 60-70k chips, I feel comfortable with 60bbs so I don't want to start throwing chips away, but before I know it blinds are 1/2k with ante and suddenly I'm down to 25 bbs with antes and feeling desperate , when half hr before I was feeling good. Should I just take more chances and be aggressive , what is a good stack size
Fast structure can be frustrating due to this.

Can't be overly tight in turbos and expect to do well.

I suggest getting snapshove and studying with training sites so you are more comfortable with under 30bb.

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
what should you do in a tourney with 2 hour late reg time and unlimited rebuy?
you can't really build a stack in early stages because players are calling very loose
The looser people play the easier it is to build a stack.

Just gotta play patiently and play your big hands hard and fast.

madjek

madjek

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fast structure can be frustrating due to this.

Can't be overly tight in turbos and expect to do well.

I suggest getting snapshove and studying with training sites so you are more comfortable with under 30bb.
Thanks for the response. I just got the snapshove App, just free version for now, and def see that helping to get ss shoving ranges down, really appreciate the suggestion

R

Riverbend

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Rebuy and Add On Tournaments

I've just started to transition from Cash Games to Tournaments Online When I dabbled in Tournaments I would rebuy immediately and always add on unless I busted out so a $5 tournament was in effect a $15 tournament which is a little steep Is there any basic strategy for rebuy and add on tournaments? I'm wondering with regards to Bankroll Management Is there an over/under when to rebuy in relation to ROI? Hope that makes sense
thanks

C

CarlosWelch

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
ICM Spot

I took a shove spot that I am unsure of.

Here is the prize info.

https://i.gyazo.com/240717ac95472a1f47c8fdd289f52e9e.png

37 left, 27 pay, and I was around 12/37 with 25bbs.

Villain was running 29/28 with RFI 38 and STL 100 over 42 hands. He'd been 3-bet once before and folded. Also, I'd seen him open AJo UTG a few levels ago.

https://i.gyazo.com/8007a5a44ebbd86f4c3bcce13af7d704.mp4

I ran the hand in ICMizer and got this result.

https://www.icmpoker.com/icmizer/#UxDQpF

Looks like I may have lost 6 to 12 dollars on the shove depending on his opening range.

This was at the 1250/2500 level and the bubble broke 4 levels or 40 minutes later at 3000/6000 with an average stack of around 60K.

I could have probably folded into the money with a half average stack of around 5 bbs if I did not win another hand. For this reason, I think I should have folded 88, but would you also fold hands like TT and AQo? Also, I am assuming I should be folding or shoving range here. Is that correct?

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've just started to transition from Cash Games to Tournaments Online When I dabbled in Tournaments I would rebuy immediately and always add on unless I busted out so a $5 tournament was in effect a $15 tournament which is a little steep Is there any basic strategy for rebuy and add on tournaments? I'm wondering with regards to Bankroll Management Is there an over/under when to rebuy in relation to ROI? Hope that makes sense
thanks
Stay away from rebuys/etc as they are really 5/6x the buyin, unless you are rolled for that.

Proper roll for a normal tourney = 200+++ buyins. Many more if you are grinding full time.

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I took a shove spot that I am unsure of.

Here is the prize info.

https://i.gyazo.com/240717ac95472a1f47c8fdd289f52e9e.png

37 left, 27 pay, and I was around 12/37 with 25bbs.

Villain was running 29/28 with RFI 38 and STL 100 over 42 hands. He'd been 3-bet once before and folded. Also, I'd seen him open AJo UTG a few levels ago.

https://i.gyazo.com/8007a5a44ebbd86f4c3bcce13af7d704.mp4

I ran the hand in ICMizer and got this result.

https://www.icmpoker.com/icmizer/#UxDQpF

Looks like I may have lost 6 to 12 dollars on the shove depending on his opening range.

This was at the 1250/2500 level and the bubble broke 4 levels or 40 minutes later at 3000/6000 with an average stack of around 60K.

I could have probably folded into the money with a half average stack of around 5 bbs if I did not win another hand. For this reason, I think I should have folded 88, but would you also fold hands like TT and AQo? Also, I am assuming I should be folding or shoving range here. Is that correct?
I jam this, but I agree it is close and only a jam vs loose opponents.

L

Ltech

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tournament times

Is the anything related to the time of the tournaments that changes the range you play:

MadDeVille

MadDeVille

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ask me anything tournament poker related that doesnt involve a specific hand!

Topics like: Theory questions, studying questions, mindset, game selection, bankroll management, staking industry, sites to play on, software and tools, etc.

If you'd like my input on a handhistory please post it in the designated area of the site and I'll happily give my input!
Hi Ryan. How would you aproach Hyper tournaments??? :confused::confused:

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
blackburn44 said:
hello 

really sorry for disturbing you firstly. i have some questions if you help me i would be really apprciated in your free time.

do you play cash games or tournamants more in your carreer? do you think to play regularly live tournaments in vegas or is it too costly?

do you play online or live more? do you think online cash games are not profitable because of gto?

again sorry for your time. have a nice day 

I play 98% tournaments, done so almost my entire 10 year career.

Most of what I do these days is play live tournaments in Vegas (from $400 to $10,000). I play some online, but usually just sundays.

Online cash games can be profitable, just have to game select very very carefully.

J

JeetsMcskeets89

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tournament play

Do you think it's best to play loose beginning tight end loose end tight beginning is it best to play alot of range hands to hide your whole cards better what's the best tournament strategy you think is out there and even knowing you have the best hand would you recommend not being all in pre flop cause I seem to get 3 and 2 outtered alot as well getting my money in as a huge favorite but odds not worked out for me much lately in tournaments

T

TheShek

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hand analysis

Hi Ryan. Wondering if you could take a look at the hand I just posted in the tourney hand analysis forum? I can post it here as well, let me know. Cheers