Ask Ryan Laplante About Tournaments

LavaStorm

LavaStorm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ask me anything tournament poker related that doesnt involve a specific hand!

Topics like: Theory questions, studying questions, mindset, game selection, bankroll management, staking industry, sites to play on, software and tools, etc.

If you'd like my input on a handhistory please post it in the designated area of the site and I'll happily give my input!
Hello Ryan i would like to aske you why i don't see very often professional players go all in preflop or in the flop.. why they such thing even if they have very strong hands..?

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hey Ryan (what an honor!), I would like to know if there's some formula to get a range mathematically profitable to play in accord on blinds and ante. How did players discover that some certain ranges and strategies are suitable having certain stack size?

Last edited:
Galmedic

Galmedic

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Effective stack size. He has 8,000 I have 700. If you have A,10 and call a $25 bet, and J,K,5 rainbow come on the board
If the raise is $125 and there is $$90 in the pot, should I call

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi protential greetings and thanks for support. I have this question:Okay here's the deal. According to theory Gto heads up if villain minraises 100% of his button you should call 50% to keep him from autoprofit. But in practice this is suicide. when you fold 50% villain wins it and the other 50% you are in contest which means you can win lets say 30% of hands because you are defending tighter range than him or 35%, now if he opens 100% and you defend 100% of your range you will at worst win 30 to 35 percent of hands. So am I missing something here.
If a person min raises hu you are getting 3 to 1 on your money, thus your MDF (min def freq) is 75%, not 50%.

This also ignores hand equities and playability.

Generally hu you should be defending 85%+ vs a minraise.

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi hi
someone tell me that there are tells in online poker... is this true?
pro players watch for things like speed of betting... can you explain about the area of tells in playing online, thank you
Speed of betting and specific sizing are huge tells in online poker.

It is very player specific, but worth looking out for!

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Ryan,

Please give some guidance about the battle of the blinds from the SB's perspective - when the table folds to the SB.

Are you ever giving the BB a walk?

Thanks.
Id fold the bottom 10% vs good players, against weak players I never give walk.

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello! Taking part in freerolls I use a tight strategy. While I am waiting for good starting hands, my looser rivals very quickly increase their stacks. When I enter the game with a raise with hands of type AQ or higher, I suddenly discover that my opponents with large stacks are overwound, forcing me to go all-in and very often knock me out. Be so kind, give assistance, tell me what's wrong here?
You want to in general play tighter than your opponents in freerolls, but not too tight.

Got to play hands to build stacks!

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lately my tournament performance goes one of two ways...I slow grind to a midlevel cash....or I chip up to top 20 then go card dead till I bomb out on the bubble or a midlevel cash. how can I improve my performance but maintain consistency?

also are you concerned with the loose play exhibited by Russian and brazillian players?
Improve your game! Study, work hard, and play lots of volume.

Most results end poorly in tourneys, but if you prepare yourself well then those deep runs are more likely to be successful!

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey Ryan,

Quick question for you if I could - one of my goals for 2018 is to satellite into the Sunday Million. What is the best way to satellite into this for someone with a bankroll that allows for at best $11 tournaments?
Id play any of the biggest GTD satties each week, and only play in events im completely ok with losing in.

Focus on growing your roll organically and then your goal of playing it is far more likely to be achieved.

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello Ryan i would like to aske you why i don't see very often professional players go all in preflop or in the flop.. why they such thing even if they have very strong hands..?
In games in which deeper stacks are played it is rare to have the type of spot where getting all in is nessecary.

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey Ryan (what an honor!), I would like to know if there's some formula to get a range mathematically profitable to play in accord on blinds and ante. How did players discover that some certain ranges and strategies are suitable having certain stack size?
There is!

PioSolver has formulas that figure out the GTO ranges to play.

You can find these ranges if you get RaiseYourEdge expert masterclass or the Upswing Petrangelo course.

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Effective stack size. He has 8,000 I have 700. If you have A,10 and call a $25 bet, and J,K,5 rainbow come on the board
If the raise is $125 and there is $$90 in the pot, should I call
Nope, easy fold!

juninhigh

juninhigh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ask me anything tournament poker related that doesnt involve a specific hand!

Topics like: Theory questions, studying questions, mindset, game selection, bankroll management, staking industry, sites to play on, software and tools, etc.

If you'd like my input on a handhistory please post it in the designated area of the site and I'll happily give my input!

Hello there, i would to hear from a professional about management, do you use excel to put your balances at poker (eg: buy-ins, cash games stakes, profits, losses). And if you do, could you put the structure of them on onedrive, and if you don't can you tell me how you keep records about these things.

Lorpugo

Lorpugo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ryan how do you deal with this. In mtts you need to play strong hands bcause there are 8 more players on table but the blinds keep increasing. What factors push the red lamp. Lets say to open King ten off or somethin similar from middle position. Is it your stack compared only to pot at your table is it your stack to average stack is it your stack vs bubble stack or your stack compared to final table stacks first nine. When do you start gamble when you get close to ten big blinds or your stack compared to others or combined of these reasons. Thanks

P

PatienceIsKey

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Going from some as everyone else in the beginning

As the game progresses and we start to get into the middle of the tournament you notice you have 50,000 in chips , started with 2000 like everyone else the next highest player is at 22,000 and just about everyone else still in the game is roughly at 3000 to 9000 in chips ... you ever go from way up there in the heavens and even from there only choosing to play premium hands only pocket rockets to pocket tons either calling all ins preflop or calling big raises I've had a chip lead like that before and ended up not even placing in the money in a tournament that started with a few hundred I ended up placing in 18th place ... I wonder in my head how did that happen why did that and how could I have prevented those big hits with good cards pocket kings losing to king ten on a lucky river for a straight or pocket aces losing to pocket 6 catching a set on the flop ... things like that happening ... ever happen to you ? How can I prevent that from ever happening again ... the same way I got up was the same way i went down making gutsy calls ...

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello there, i would to hear from a professional about management, do you use excel to put your balances at poker (eg: buy-ins, cash games stakes, profits, losses). And if you do, could you put the structure of them on onedrive, and if you don't can you tell me how you keep records about these things.
Spreadsheets is the way to go.

Build a system with them that works best for your personal situation!

J

JeetsMcskeets89

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
tourny play

would you consider aggressive or tight the best tourney strategy for texas holdem?

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Loose agressive is by far the best style.

whiskers77

whiskers77

The art of purring
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Hey Ryan, I read, that you use PokerTracker4 for your hand analysis and I wonder if you could give us some tipps about this and how you go through the thought process of this.
I guess, you don't go through every single hand after a tourney.

Therefore, how often do you do this and when? Directly after tourney or a day later?
How much time, do you spend on it?
Which hands are worth for you to be marked? How do you categorize them in your mind and why? Can you give us maybe some sample hands and also your conclusions about them?
How do you learn on them or improve for the next time, if you do it on your own?

D

dferrari86

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Still new

we have a bar poker league in my hometown of Memphis. I’m not able to go much anymore because of family stuff. I started playing online with BOL. Mainly their windfall tournaments and few select low stake tourneys. As an American what are some good options for real money sites that are safe? I don’t want to just download them all and dump $50 into each account, that’s a lot of money.

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey Ryan, I read, that you use PokerTracker4 for your hand analysis and I wonder if you could give us some tipps about this and how you go through the thought process of this.
I guess, you don't go through every single hand after a tourney.

Therefore, how often do you do this and when? Directly after tourney or a day later?
How much time, do you spend on it?
Which hands are worth for you to be marked? How do you categorize them in your mind and why? Can you give us maybe some sample hands and also your conclusions about them?
How do you learn on them or improve for the next time, if you do it on your own?
When I review I do a full tourney. 200 hands will take me around 1 hour.

I then mark hands Im uncertain of and run them in PIO/HRC/Icmizer. I used to do this a lot more often, now I mostly discuss spots with friends I think are interesting.

Real sample hands would take awhile. I oost interesting hands and polls most days to twitter tho. (@Protentialmn)

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
we have a bar poker league in my hometown of Memphis. I’m not able to go much anymore because of family stuff. I started playing online with BOL. Mainly their windfall tournaments and few select low stake tourneys. As an American what are some good options for real money sites that are safe? I don’t want to just download them all and dump $50 into each account, that’s a lot of money.
Bovada, Global, AmericasCardroom.

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey Ryan,
Quick question for you if I could - one of my goals for 2018 is to satellite into the Sunday Million. What is the best way to satellite into this for someone with a bankroll that allows for at best $11 tournaments?

I didnt see this answered so I will field it. On Sunday there is a MEGA satellite that is now just $5.50 and has 50 seats guaranteed but it usually will be around 75 seats or more. This is your best shot in for cheap.

G

Geeh

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
hi Ryan would like to know which tournament format is best and what are the values for who is starting and has a low bankrrol?