Ask Ryan Laplante About Tournaments

KristaK

KristaK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ask me anything tournament poker related that doesnt involve a specific hand!
Topics like: Theory questions, studying questions, mindset, game selection, bankroll management, staking industry, sites to play on, software and tools, etc.
If you'd like my input on a handhistory please post it in the designated area of the site and I'll happily give my input!
hi hi Ryan
please can you discuss "tells" that you use in online poker?
specifically what if anything can we deduce from time, and bet sizing?
thanks hugs

J

Johnny Aces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Hello Ryan

Hi. Whats your best outcome in the Main Event and what do you believe is the best strategy going into a tournament like the Main?

fishfood80

fishfood80

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey Ryan I had a staking question. When your just getting into the world of live staking how do you go about looking for a backer. More specifically if you've had good results at tourneys with around 250 to 300 entrants at stakes under 1000 dollars at local smaller card rooms how do you prove your a +ev investment. Also when your looking to start a relationship with a backer how would you even start the conversation. I mean I understand what to look for in a mutually beneficial agreement like a 70/30 split with stake back, but I don't really know how to find backers looking for horses and how to start the conversation. Thanks man I appreciate any info on the subject, also if there is anything else you feel I should know that would also be greatly appreciated.

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do you think it's best to play loose beginning tight end loose end tight beginning is it best to play alot of range hands to hide your whole cards better what's the best tournament strategy you think is out there and even knowing you have the best hand would you recommend not being all in pre flop cause I seem to get 3 and 2 outtered alot as well getting my money in as a huge favorite but odds not worked out for me much lately in tournaments
I play more loose the deeper effective I am, and tighter the more shallow.

That being said I'm more willing to run bluffs near the $$ or deep than I am early.

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Ryan. Wondering if you could take a look at the hand I just posted in the tourney hand analysis forum? I can post it here as well, let me know. Cheers
Link me to it or post it here.

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi hi Ryan
please can you discuss "tells" that you use in online poker?
specifically what if anything can we deduce from time, and bet sizing?
thanks hugs
Sizing and timings are generally villain dependent.

General rule of thumb: smaller = weaker, faster = stronger.

But plenty of times where opposite is true.

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi. Whats your best outcome in the Main Event and what do you believe is the best strategy going into a tournament like the Main?
I cashed last year in 1088.

Be patient, be willing to play a lot of hands in small situations, but careful in large pots.

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey Ryan I had a staking question. When your just getting into the world of live staking how do you go about looking for a backer. More specifically if you've had good results at tourneys with around 250 to 300 entrants at stakes under 1000 dollars at local smaller card rooms how do you prove your a +ev investment. Also when your looking to start a relationship with a backer how would you even start the conversation. I mean I understand what to look for in a mutually beneficial agreement like a 70/30 split with stake back, but I don't really know how to find backers looking for horses and how to start the conversation. Thanks man I appreciate any info on the subject, also if there is anything else you feel I should know that would also be greatly appreciated.
2+2 forums has many threads with large groups who back people. Thatd be a good place to start.

Live results dont mean much unless over years. Best bet = grind online and build good results there.

C

CarlosWelch

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Ryan,

You open a very wide range with over 50bbs in games where you don't expect to get 3-bet enough.

1. How do you determine if that will be the case? My guess is that you usually go for it and then back off if you find that you are getting 3-bet a lot, but how do you define a lot?

2. Do you also back off if you find that you are getting flatted and raised or led into post flop a lot? Again, how much is too much?

3. Say you are at a soft table and a rec opens. You have a decent hand on the BTN or CO. There are all recs behind.

Is it better to flat and play a bloated pot multiway with a bunch of recs or better to 3-bet and play a bloated pot heads up with one rec?Are you are more likely to 3-bet from the HJ or earlier in order to iso and play in position?

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ryan,

You open a very wide range with over 50bbs in games where you don't expect to get 3-bet enough.

1. How do you determine if that will be the case? My guess is that you usually go for it and then back off if you find that you are getting 3-bet a lot, but how do you define a lot?

2. Do you also back off if you find that you are getting flatted and raised or led into post flop a lot? Again, how much is too much?

3. Say you are at a soft table and a rec opens. You have a decent hand on the BTN or CO. There are all recs behind.

Is it better to flat and play a bloated pot multiway with a bunch of recs or better to 3-bet and play a bloated pot heads up with one rec?Are you are more likely to 3-bet from the HJ or earlier in order to iso and play in position?
1. Yes, until proven guilty I assume most aren't capable of 3betting correctly or really loose.

2. It depends, I only do so if they are playing back at me a lot.

3. Generally peel as I assume people will make large mistakes multi-way, if I 3bet might be a hand like KJo or QJo or ATo.

rbackmann

rbackmann

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Will your advise vary online or Live.
Seems a lot more action and Big hands online

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Id fold the bottom 10% vs good players, against weak players I never give walk.

Thank you for your concise and to-the-point answer.

I might need to fold a little more than that just being OOP.

J

Johnny Aces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Ask Protentialmn ( Ryan LaPlante) a question

Hello Ryan. This is not a question. Just wanna say this is my first wsop & I look forward to finally meeting you in person at the Collussus Event. Hope we can chat & maybe ask you for some advice or questions then. Hopefully you can give me some experienced advice having played so much live. Thanks

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Will your advise vary online or Live.
Seems a lot more action and Big hands online
Hands are the same live and online, just play more hands so it seems that way.

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello Ryan. This is not a question. Just wanna say this is my first WSOP & I look forward to finally meeting you in person at the Collussus Event. Hope we can chat & maybe ask you for some advice or questions then. Hopefully you can give me some experienced advice having played so much live. Thanks
Happy to speak with you there.

Best of luck!

Alaercio da Rocha

Alaercio da Rocha

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Is there a free tool that shows the amount of bbs that the table members have at the tables? I have seen in some pokerstars pro shows live but I do not know what tool they use.

C

crimsonshroud88

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is there a free tool that shows the amount of bbs that the table members have at the tables? I have seen in some pokerstars pro shows live but I do not know what tool they use.
The software is called Starshelper or StarsCaption. First one is way better as you get a lifetime license. It's not free, $35 if I'm not mistaken.
However, it has other great functions.
You are welcome :)

B

BrakeJake

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Safety play?

Hi,

I asked me if it is possible to play tournaments much safer... is there an opportunity?

I mean... I cant wait for aces or kings. Thats logical.

But especially the Start of a tournament is very hard and i am searching for advices.

Can you help me?

:confused::confused::confused:

A

aokgringo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Tournament structure

Hello there!

I will be playing WSOP Monster Stack this year. My question may seem odd or possibly irrelevant but I think the answer will influence strategy in the early stage of the tournament. How is it that the Millionaire Maker and the Monster Stack both last five days? Each tournament has the exact same structure but the Monster Stack has twice the chips (25,000 starting vs 50,000 starting). You would think that with twice the starting stack that the Monster stack would last longer. I'm guessing more people will make it to day 4 with the Monster Stack then with the Millionaire Maker (which has 34 making it to day 4 this year)? Number of entrants will likely figure in but Im guessing number of entrants will be roughly similar. I think the strategy is to play the earlier stage, particularly on day one, more like a cash game, playing much wider and with more 3-betting in later position with the idea to chip up for day two or go bust early (aggressive but not stupid). Any insight you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! Alan

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ask Protential About Tournaments

Hi Ryan!

Congrats on taking 3rd in the $1k WSOP yesterday! What did it feel like to show up for your 8th WSOP final table?

Was rooting for you as always, and wish there would’ve been a live stream. Please tell me that the pink Burberry hat is still alive and well? [emoji4] Please give Chris a hug for me!

I

id_kov

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Ryan!

I usually play on PS 0.55$ buy in MTTs ("Boundy Builder" and "Big" Tournaments). Try to play only the premium cards like higher pairs, AK, AQ. If Im closer the button, usually play with suited cards (like 89s, etc ...) and try to steal the blinds.
I usually reach the prized seats, but cant really go deeper. My goal would be to finish in the top 10% in avarage, and not to fall out after 3-4 hours with a pice that not much bigger than the buy in was.
Do u have any advice what shoudl i do different?
Thank you! David

H

hellomynameiswhat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Can you give advice about 9 max sit and go.
I always identified as a mtt player.
I am trying to switch to sit and go.
It is so strange. It is like its the bubble within about 40 min.
Any help would be great. Played 4 years.

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello there!

I will be playing WSOP Monster Stack this year. My question may seem odd or possibly irrelevant but I think the answer will influence strategy in the early stage of the tournament. How is it that the Millionaire Maker and the Monster Stack both last five days? Each tournament has the exact same structure but the Monster Stack has twice the chips (25,000 starting vs 50,000 starting). You would think that with twice the starting stack that the Monster stack would last longer. I'm guessing more people will make it to day 4 with the Monster Stack then with the Millionaire Maker (which has 34 making it to day 4 this year)? Number of entrants will likely figure in but Im guessing number of entrants will be roughly similar. I think the strategy is to play the earlier stage, particularly on day one, more like a cash game, playing much wider and with more 3-betting in later position with the idea to chip up for day two or go bust early (aggressive but not stupid). Any insight you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! Alan

Yup, I agree with those insights on how to play, not sure exactly why they are similar, my guess is due to mid-game and end-game structures.

I hope you did well!

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Ryan!

Congrats on taking 3rd in the $1k WSOP yesterday! What did it feel like to show up for your 8th WSOP final table?

Was rooting for you as always, and wish there would’ve been a live stream. Please tell me that the pink Burberry hat is still alive and well? [emoji4] Please give Chris a hug for me!

Thank you, hope all is going well for you Katie, and hope all is well with Collin also!

The hate is alive barely, our dog Enzo tore it up a few years ago unfortunately though.