Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Ryan!

I usually play on PS 0.55$ buy in MTTs ("Boundy Builder" and "Big" Tournaments). Try to play only the premium cards like higher pairs, AK, AQ. If Im closer the button, usually play with suited cards (like 89s, etc ...) and try to steal the blinds.
I usually reach the prized seats, but cant really go deeper. My goal would be to finish in the top 10% in avarage, and not to fall out after 3-4 hours with a pice that not much bigger than the buy in was.
Do u have any advice what shoudl i do different?
Thank you! David

Try to play more hands, it sounds like you play a bit too tight.

Controlled aggression is the key to profitable poker!

C

cws1225

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Strat

You have to build your stack early to set yourself up for late game right? To really set yourself up for the win?

D

Dj_demain_matin

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
What is the best style of play for a Rebuy Tournament ?
I usually play Tight Aggressive regardless of Rebuys or No Rebuys, What do you suggest ?

danix

danix

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Ryan
I would also like to know if it is a good strategy to play aggressively at the beginning of a tournament with Rebuy to try to build a big stack fast as many go in that line.

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You have to build your stack early to set yourself up for late game right? To really set yourself up for the win?
Yup. Consistent growth is key to doing well in tourneys, this is why a good loose aggressive style is ideal in tournaments.

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What is the best style of play for a Rebuy Tournament ?
I usually play Tight Aggressive regardless of Rebuys or No Rebuys, What do you suggest ?
Generally loose agressive for tourneys is the best style.

Tight agressive is easiest to play profitably though.

A

Asqar

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
More important

Hi Ryan!
That is more important in poker calculation, psychology, or a certain strategy?

ironduke11

ironduke11

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
usually takes me two or three games to click back into my normal confident measured self when restarting live play....
how can I hit the felt running from game one instead?

V

Veritas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Ryan.
A really nice thread with a lot of interesting answers. Thank you for taking the time to answer all those Questions.
from another thread, I came along a Question myself and it would be nice to get an answer from you.

30 players left in the tournament.
We are 70bb deep,I limp 3 bet AJoff from the SB vs a good reg.
He shoves for 70bb what's your calling range here? AQss + and 10s+?

I asume that with 30 Players left, a 70bb stack is in the top 10 or Maybe even top 5, so 2 huge stacks could colide and whoever wins, might be the chipleader.

So what would be your calling range here without a read on V? according to OP he is a good reg and not a Maniac.
Is it too tight to call with AKs QQ+ only?

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
usually takes me two or three games to click back into my normal confident measured self when restarting live play....
how can I hit the felt running from game one instead?
Play and study more often.

Experience, knowledge and ability leads to confidence.

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Ryan.
A really nice thread with a lot of interesting answers. Thank you for taking the time to answer all those Questions.
from another thread, I came along a Question myself and it would be nice to get an answer from you.

I asume that with 30 Players left, a 70bb stack is in the top 10 or Maybe even top 5, so 2 huge stacks could colide and whoever wins, might be the chipleader.

So what would be your calling range here without a read on V? according to OP he is a good reg and not a Maniac.
Is it too tight to call with AKs QQ+ only?
Most people are going to be way too tight here. I'd call off JJ+/AQs+/AK unless I had specific read.

A

anfieldkid

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
HU SNG VS MTT

Hi all.

My first post!

Ive been a SNG player for a few years now. I have worked out that my ROI is about 5% over a big sample size. Im thinking of moving to MTT's.

The fields on the site I play avg between 50-100 players with the prize pool being very top heavy top 8 usually get paid. Finish 8th you basically break even.

The sng format is a cross between a hyper/turbo.

In terms of VARIANCE which of the two has more variance given the above explanation? Im thinking of moving to MTT's but want to know thats not going to be as swingy as the STT's I play.

Thanks for your time!

S

shivu18

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi

Hi

Pls let know which strategy more works at tourney , aggressive or tight?
Am a regular micro stack tourney player , most of time If I play tight ended up at bubble stage.

Pls your suggestion for us.

Thanks and Regards
Shiv

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
OK I'll play. I'm a little confused at some of the terms thrown around in the staking industry. I understand markup. what about makeup?

What are typical staking arrangements for pros and how do you find your backers?

Do you have staking goals for each tourney? or do you just plan to play no matter what and just sell as much as you can?

Basically, I'm looking to start selling for some of my $1k+ buy in tourneys and have no idea where to start.

Makeup is the stuff ladies put on their face to look pretty. The more makeup they add, the more they can charge the backers for the markup :)

S

satcitananda

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey man can you check out my sharkscope and tell me if I'm worth a stake or not? I'm willing to work on it and accept advice if I'm not good enough yet. Also, how much money should I have to play MTT tournaments of $50 entries? How much money for $25 entries? How much money for $15 or $10 entries?

rickypr18 on Americas Cardroom https://es.sharkscope.com/#Player-Statistics//networks/WPN/players/rickypr18

Torrellas on BCP https://es.sharkscope.com/#Player-Statistics//networks/WPN/players/Torrellas

K

krypto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi i have 2 things to ask you, what is your mind set for the middle stages of a game, compared to the late stages of a game, and what stakes would your recommend for a 30$ weekly bankroll

L

Lord Foma

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Let's say you have registered in a big online tournament. For a few hours the game goes well, the card goes good and you hit the flop well, you stay just above the average stack. And here is again itself has gone the good map and are trapped in flop, and like should be all well and take large Bank, but as sometimes the case you strongly moved and you lost almost the entire stack. How to set yourself up for further play, how not to fall?. Most of the time I watched other players. Almost all players next hand put everything with any card and naturally fly out of the tournament.

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi all.

My first post!

Ive been a SNG player for a few years now. I have worked out that my ROI is about 5% over a big sample size. Im thinking of moving to MTT's.

The fields on the site I play avg between 50-100 players with the prize pool being very top heavy top 8 usually get paid. Finish 8th you basically break even.

The sng format is a cross between a hyper/turbo.

In terms of VARIANCE which of the two has more variance given the above explanation? Im thinking of moving to MTT's but want to know thats not going to be as swingy as the STT's I play.

Thanks for your time!
MTTs are much higher variance than SNGs.

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi

Pls let know which strategy more works at tourney , aggressive or tight?
Am a regular micro stack tourney player , most of time If I play tight ended up at bubble stage.

Pls your suggestion for us.

Thanks and Regards
Shiv
Agressive! It is also the hardest style to play well.

Being tight is an easy and profitable way to play, but isn't the best.

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey man can you check out my sharkscope and tell me if I'm worth a stake or not? I'm willing to work on it and accept advice if I'm not good enough yet. Also, how much money should I have to play MTT tournaments of $50 entries? How much money for $25 entries? How much money for $15 or $10 entries?

rickypr18 on Americas Cardroom https://es.sharkscope.com/#Player-Statistics//networks/WPN/players/rickypr18

Torrellas on BCP https://es.sharkscope.com/#Player-Statistics//networks/WPN/players/Torrellas
Too small of a sample, a good start tho.

Good bankroll rules to follow if you don't want to reload:

10$ buyins - $2,500+

25$ buyins - $7,500+

$50 buyins - $20,000+

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi i have 2 things to ask you, what is your mind set for the middle stages of a game, compared to the late stages of a game, and what stakes would your recommend for a 30$ weekly bankroll
Similar to early stages: Do my best to build a stack for the bubble.

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1$ buyins or less with a rare $2 mixed in.

luisroxbren

luisroxbren

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
how to react to a table that only plays all in ... does that only happen in free tournaments?:confused:

O

okiepokerplayer

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
GTO

Hey Ryan,

Been hearing a lot lately about GTO. First question is, are there any resources to learn more about GTO, and what is your opinion on the subject.