Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello again Ryan,

I struggle with this scenario:

Our villain is a LAG player and he CBets on the flop everything, no matter the opening position nor the texture of the flop and we are out of position. We decide to check raise him with some draws of ours but not a made hand.He calls.

On the turn a scary card comes but we don't complete our draw , is it rational to lead turn representing the ''completed'' draw or the above move considered like burning chips?

I know it is a complex scenario but long story short is it OK if we check raise flop against someone who Cbets everything and give up turn if we miss?Or a second lead bullet may work some times?

In order to simplify the above chaos let's say we hold some nice blockers!

Thanks and Sorry at the same time :D
This is a good spot to barrel most of the time.

Tripple barreling will be very board and villain dependent. Generally want cards to hit that complete draws of some kind, or are scare cards to top pair.

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would like to play more live poker tournaments, but I have a problem with chip colours. The regular players and dealers all know the colours and the bet amounts are easy for them to see from the bunch of chips players put out.
As one of about 10% of males who have specific colour deficiencies, there is no way for me to quickly assess the size of the raise. I feel uncomfortable asking the dealer every time.
To add to the concern, some tournament chips are so faded, I am at an even bigger loss.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
There are glasses that can help with certain color blindness, there are phone Apps that can as well.

Until then, when each dealer sits, ask them to verbalize every bet for you as you are color blind, they should all do it.

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey Protential. Sorry if this has been asked before, haven't read the entire thread yet. If you had a really baby bankroll, say in the neighborhood of 20 to 40 dollars, what would be your go-to formats to build it up profitably? I think bounty tournaments would help a lot but would like to know your opinion. Thanks
0.25 Sngs and MTTs, id build using 100-200 avg buyins, and not move up to 2$+ unless ive really been studying with training sites/etc.

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey Protential!
I'm fairly early into this new bankroll I started 6 months ago from nothing. 5 months ago from $50, etc. I love MTT's but just got some advice that perhaps they may not be the best for me at this stage in my bankroll. I just gathered up $200 and am playing on ACR, and live with friends (where I make the bulk of my money). Should I avoid MTT's and stick with sit and go's? Would love to hear your opinion and if you play on ACR, any specifics regarding their available tournaments would be highly appreciated. Thanks!
With ACR id play strictly mtts.

With $200 you have to play $2 and lower.

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey Protential!
I'm fairly early into this new bankroll I started 6 months ago from nothing. 5 months ago from $50, etc. I love MTT's but just got some advice that perhaps they may not be the best for me at this stage in my bankroll. I just gathered up $200 and am playing on ACR, and live with friends (where I make the bulk of my money). Should I avoid MTT's and stick with sit and go's? Would love to hear your opinion and if you play on ACR, any specifics regarding their available tournaments would be highly appreciated. Thanks!
You shoupd also play on ignition/bovada, merge, global poker, and bet online.

Try to play as many different sites as possible to get in volume.

Spaceman

Spaceman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Last edited:
C

CarlosWelch

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Marking Recs

Ryan,

When you see a player make a mistake, you usually mark them as a rec in green. You have other players marked as aggro recs in red, but I rarely see you default to that one regardless of the mistake.

For example, on your stream, you opened the button with QJo and a player defended the BB. On a KJ4ss flop he led into you. You marked him as a green rec for this aggro mistake.

To be fair his stats were 26/5 over 43 hands, but I know you put more stock into actions than small sample sizes.

1. Which factors cause you to mark someone a green rec?

2. Which factors cause you to mark someone a red rec?

1 seems to be your default and 2 seems to be pretty rare.

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi, master, you could check this hand, please, I doubt if I did the right thing.
I want to correct if I'm making mistakes, not to make them again.

https://www.cardschat.com/forum/tou.../freeroll-nlhe-mtt-kqs-early-position-406359/
Ask me anything tournament poker related that doesnt involve a specific hand!

Topics like: Theory questions, studying questions, mindset, game selection, bankroll management, staking industry, sites to play on, software and tools, etc.

If you'd like my input on a handhistory please post it in the designated area of the site and I'll happily give my input!

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ryan,

When you see a player make a mistake, you usually mark them as a rec in green. You have other players marked as aggro recs in red, but I rarely see you default to that one regardless of the mistake.

For example, on your stream, you opened the button with QJo and a player defended the BB. On a KJ4ss flop he led into you. You marked him as a green rec for this aggro mistake.

To be fair his stats were 26/5 over 43 hands, but I know you put more stock into actions than small sample sizes.

1. Which factors cause you to mark someone a green rec?

2. Which factors cause you to mark someone a red rec?

1 seems to be your default and 2 seems to be pretty rare.
Green to me = almost certainly a weak player.

Red to me = Almost certainly an aggro weak player.

I need more confidence in my read to go red than green. As I make large adjustments based on it.

LavaStorm

LavaStorm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Topics like: Theory questions, studying questions, mindset, game selection, bankroll management, staking industry, sites to play on, software and tools, etc.

If you'd like my input on a handhistory please post it in the designated area of the site and I'll happily give my input!
I need some tournament tips and some poker tourney books so i ll be able to make some progress on my favorite poker varaiant.

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I need some tournament tips and some poker tourney books so i ll be able to make some progress on my favorite poker varaiant.
Join upswingpoker, 1 of the best training sites out there.

Best of luck!

sammy22

sammy22

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Join upswingpoker, 1 of the best training sites out there.

Best of luck!

If someone can’t afford a training site membership, is there a book or books you can recommend?
Specifically for someone who has only read the Harrington books years ago, and who really needs to update his game to 2018.

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If someone can’t afford a training site membership, is there a book or books you can recommend?
Specifically for someone who has only read the Harrington books years ago, and who really needs to update his game to 2018.
Jonathan Little's "Excelling at no limit holdem".

LavaStorm

LavaStorm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I would like to ask you your opinion about how i can be more succesful in poker tournaments also what could be a preparation for me before i start to play a tourney? Thanks

C

CarlosWelch

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
https://i.gyazo.com/c56212338537eb2e8748269be183a19e.mp4

The first guy limps a lot and the other had iso'ed him 2-3 times.

Should we be going more than pot pre here since that gives him 2 to 1 which is roughly what a reasonable hand has against my range? Is 4x or 4.5x pre better?

Funny, a similar spot came up as I was posting this. https://i.gyazo.com/10f7b7b5deea68d4024e27f0d40e6b4f.mp4

In addition to sizing, I don't know if I should ever raise fold this to an aggro player attacking a habitual limper. I would have felt better had he shoved, but idk.

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Study a lot. Join training sites like RunItOnce and Upswing and work hard to improve.

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
https://i.gyazo.com/c56212338537eb2e8748269be183a19e.mp4

The first guy limps a lot and the other had iso'ed him 2-3 times.

Should we be going more than pot pre here since that gives him 2 to 1 which is roughly what a reasonable hand has against my range? Is 4x or 4.5x pre better?

Funny, a similar spot came up as I was posting this. https://i.gyazo.com/10f7b7b5deea68d4024e27f0d40e6b4f.mp4

In addition to sizing, I don't know if I should ever raise fold this to an aggro player attacking a habitual limper. I would have felt better had he shoved, but idk.
The AK is well played.

The JJ: Went too large pre, 1500-1700 is large enough. When they 4bet that sizing Id assume it is QQ+ almost always.

Id call vs a jam from very aggro players.

Lorpugo

Lorpugo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi protential greetings and thanks for support. I have this question:Okay here's the deal. According to theory Gto heads up if villain minraises 100% of his button you should call 50% to keep him from autoprofit. But in practice this is suicide. when you fold 50% villain wins it and the other 50% you are in contest which means you can win lets say 30% of hands because you are defending tighter range than him or 35%, now if he opens 100% and you defend 100% of your range you will at worst win 30 to 35 percent of hands. So am I missing something here.

KristaK

KristaK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi hi
someone tell me that there are tells in online poker... is this true?
pro players watch for things like speed of betting... can you explain about the area of tells in playing online, thank you

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Ryan,

Please give some guidance about the battle of the blinds from the SB's perspective - when the table folds to the SB.

Are you ever giving the BB a walk?

Thanks.

M

mara2259

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello! Taking part in freerolls I use a tight strategy. While I am waiting for good starting hands, my looser rivals very quickly increase their stacks. When I enter the game with a raise with hands of type AQ or higher, I suddenly discover that my opponents with large stacks are overwound, forcing me to go all-in and very often knock me out. Be so kind, give assistance, tell me what's wrong here?

LavaStorm

LavaStorm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on where you live, and why you are looking to add another.

Main options are: 888, Americas Card Room, Unibet, winamax, Ipoker, GGpoker, Merge.

My main suggestion is 888, but any of these could fit your needs.
I play in acr ad pokerstars but i will follow your advice and pick up 888poker too .Thanks a lot i will make my variety of sites bigger now :) Unfortunately i cannot play in unibet winamax, Ipoker, GGpoker and Merge but i want to play in party poker but is not allowd in my country also :(

ironduke11

ironduke11

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lately my tournament performance goes one of two ways...I slow grind to a midlevel cash....or I chip up to top 20 then go card dead till I bomb out on the bubble or a midlevel cash. how can I improve my performance but maintain consistency?

also are you concerned with the loose play exhibited by Russian and brazillian players?

CRStals

CRStals

Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey Ryan,

Quick question for you if I could - one of my goals for 2018 is to satellite into the Sunday Million. What is the best way to satellite into this for someone with a bankroll that allows for at best $11 tournaments?