Why do players not chat anymore?

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I started playing online poker some years ago, there was a lot of chat at the the tables.
Today players do not chat much.
Why?

I think it's a few factors
#1 Info tab --> A lot of players want to see the tourney info or stats tab which blocks the chat
#2 Taught to focus --> All the training sites recommend focusing on the game, and since more online players are studying the game rather than just playing for fun they take it a bit more serious
#3 Multitabling --> I'd imagine there are more multitablers there days and fewer 1 tablers online, anyone who's multitabled before knows it's hard enough to just keep up with the game that thinking about chatting becomes a none consideration

Probably some more reasons out there but these are the ones that came to the top of mind for me :)

C

Carlloss

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My point is that people are playing more tables at the same time, and paying attention to chat conversations is just an unproductive distraction. Another reason is a greater diversity of players, with many different languages, I believe this is harmful, because besides giving attention to a chat, you will still need a translation tool? It's nothing productive.

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For myself I find it distracting and disturbing and sometimes abusive talk. I feet the chat feature should be taken away.

J

Jedrey

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think it's because sometimes there's no topic because it's online, the chat window is small, sometimes you'll be playing other tables at the same time.
I think it's really boring, actually talking is very different from living there.
In live, there are always very good subjects.

C

capo1014

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Chat

I am here to play poker, to many players always talking smack at any given time. No interest in chatting period. Just saying here is my two cents. Capo1014

lauestla

lauestla

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't pay attention to the chat anymore except in some CC's freerolls. Sometimes if I am in the mood I chat with other CCers but in real money games it's very rare to chat with someone in a friendly way 9/10 times the swear and curse to each other. So I don't care participating in non sense swearing by unpolite human beings.

I feel exactly the same

blackclover

blackclover

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not interested chatting while playing poker.

W

WellAA

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think it's a few factors
#1 Info tab --> A lot of players want to see the tourney info or stats tab which blocks the chat
#2 Taught to focus --> All the training sites recommend focusing on the game, and since more online players are studying the game rather than just playing for fun they take it a bit more serious
#3 Multitabling --> I'd imagine there are more multitablers there days and fewer 1 tablers online, anyone who's multitabled before knows it's hard enough to just keep up with the game that thinking about chatting becomes a none consideration

Probably some more reasons out there but these are the ones that came to the top of mind for me :)

Yep! all things considered, and on top of it, cursing, and complaining about the cracked Aces ! Don't you think?

TCHUCO2005

TCHUCO2005

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Because they are more interested in making money, even pennies, by interacting with strangers who are just passing through the table, I disagree with that, I think poker is just the opposite of what you see, it's for us to interact and get to know new ideas and new poker values.

gabryyyel31

gabryyyel31

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I think is hard to chat with other players when you play multitabling.

I

ireneuszmasajlo

Enthusiast
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Because people push K7 off all in all the time and dont have time too chat... for real I think very hard now days to meet some one intrest in chating on poker tables it is not profesinal.

angelluv725

angelluv725

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Most chat goes on in Home Games by friends who have played together and have known each other for a many years.

D

Daen27

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's easier this way. You need to focus on the game and you can communicate when you reach the finale to wish good luck to the finalists I have done this and will do it

RagNar87

RagNar87

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
on freerolls u can chat , at least on games with other members , time pass faster and make the game more beautyfull

uri73796

uri73796

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
perhaps they are concentrating on the game.

B

bugiardops

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always watch the chat, I like to throw objects (pokerstars), I know that this somehow annoys some players too :)!

nanida888

nanida888

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
But this is really so, you rightly noticed, I have been playing online for more than 10 years and I met many of my current poker friends playing online and chatting, where we wrote how to find each other on social networks, then met there, created clubs, and played together already. And now everyone is focused on the game, and not on communication, in order to get more bankroll, there is no time to talk.

mattiebumpo

mattiebumpo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I really only chat when I am playing with people I either know from real life or from social media. So much of the chat is negative and insulting that I have tried to tune it out or mute people. It is a lot of fun when playing with people I know...much more sociable.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
It was easy to type in chat when I played on a computer and have a keyboard. Now that I play poker on a phone, the screen size is tough to pay attention to poker, much less trying to chat. Lots of time the enter key for chatting is way too close to the all in button for my comfort, so I won't be hitting the enter key for chatting any time soon.

mattiebumpo

mattiebumpo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Most chat goes on in Home Games by friends who have played together and have known each other for a many years.

I agree. It is fun to chat with people you know. When you don't know the people, the chat is often abusive or pointless.

Ice Wolf

Ice Wolf

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are referring to WPN you have probably just reached a point in the tourney where they either have an error in the code and where you can't chat or for some odd reason the have purposely cut the chat at those points in the tournament. Either way people probably quit talking there as much because of all the issues they were having with chat.

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think, the key and main reason is a multi-table game... When there is simply no way to communicate... Sometimes the players say: this may give away me or my style of play.... Come on.. I think, this is only possible in live poker, when you see the opponent in front of you. I think, that communication helps perfectly to distract in long tournaments, but it is very distracting at the final stage of the tournament=) Sometimes players ask the question, what to do so as not to get bored in a long game, chatting is probably the best thing to do ;)

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello. Good question. Chatting use to be part of the click. As poker has become more and more popular, the skills also grew. The skills required to seriously compete against others is requiring more and more a "Brainiac" thing, requiring more and more mental involvement. As that has become part of the "now" culture, chatting has almost halted. and what use to be is no longer. In fact, today's crowd seems to get perturbed and view it as a distractor. Times have changed. Cheers!