How do you keep from being bored?

K

kanycta99

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
As a new player, I don't get bored at the table. I analyze the game of the opponents, study their strategy. how can you get bored here? if you just press the check-fold button, then you get bored.

A

AllOut

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
well I think poker gets boring when you constantly lose, coolered on big pots lot of times. Everything is good when you win certainly. That happened to me an hour ago. Worst possible run I made lately. Both on spin&gos and tournaments. Lost with by far favourite cards. That's when I get boring of loses and play out of my best. So I quit now I'm here checking new posts, listening music at background.

J

Jedrey

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
The only bad thing is when you lose straight, those bads give you discouragement.
It is not boring for me, I listen to music, watching something on TV to distract it a little in the long tournaments.
In fact it will depend on you, not online you have the privilege of being at home, so you do the tournament lol.
You can very well make the tournament interesting.

M

MattFrey

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I try to find something new just to switch off my mind and just relax. For example, recently I found online brochure maker and creating there cool stuff. Also, I like to make mood boards and colorful schedules.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
You cannot stop boredom setting in, it is a state of mind that happens when a thing or process becomes repetitive and boring, you cannot stop it, It just happens.
How you fight it is different for each of us, I just stop doing what makes a task boring, take a break and then come back to the task with a renewed sense of purpose, sometimes the break could last 5 or 10 mins, or it could be days or even weeks before I can face it.
Poker does have days when it seems to be hand after hand of rubbish, and because I only ever play for fun, and my living does not depend on it, I can leave it for days or weeks or even months if I had to.
When I was running a Poker League at my local pub, I hardly ever played on-line, as there is quite a bit of work behind the scenes, that players never see,registering new players to the League, updating League tables, organising transport for the qualifiers to the next Finals Venue, the list went on and on, this alone was why after 6 years of doing it without being paid I eventually gave it up. I needed a break.

When the fun Stops, STOP! (I stopped)

E

Elfina777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How not to get bored if poker is bored, turn on the music, watch a movie, play with your pet or go somewhere or go to bed, after sleep the mood rises.

Luca Santos

Luca Santos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
The music helps me well in this part.

Pokerishard

Pokerishard

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always enjoy playing poker. So no boring time for me when im on the tables. Maybe i like very much to play poker.

P

Pokersavvy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't get bored at all either. I have been so tired I would fall asleep while playing lol.

A

alsorory

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
watching movies, play sports, listening to music will refresh you

hubcio96

hubcio96

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't play every day. Watching sports or tv while grinding is pissing money away. Focus and make a "goal for each session. When I got "bored" I stop playing during the week, and allow myself to play only on weekends or selected days. Waiting for the weekend, got me "excited" to play, and focus on my plays. Also, I started using during the weeks, and trying the put their theories on weekends - make it a little bit more interesting. The time you get "bored" it almost a bad as playing on tilt. Don't.

SavannahPanda

SavannahPanda

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually play on half a screen and read a book or watch sports on the other half. This is for tourney play only. Never cash.

Last edited:
el_soma77

el_soma77

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
:cool: To avoid boredom, there are many ways to eliminate it by watching a movie, doing sports, playing poker, that way I eliminate it, I run, one hour a day, and play poker...

Alizona

Alizona

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1. Play multiple tables so you never have a moment to rest. I suggest 12 to 20 tournaments at the same time. You'll go from being bored to wanting to check into a mental institution in about 15 minutes. LOL

2. Alcohol. Everything is less boring when drunk. LOL

3. Play music. Boring suggestion, I know, but it works for me. Don't play New Age or lullabyes. Play hard rock death metal or something equally loud and annoying.

4. (my preferred solution) Play solitaire type of games off to the side of the poker. My personal favorites are Windows Minesweeper, Solitaire, Freecell, and I found a nice little freeware Sudoku program which is my favorite game to play alongside my poker. I also bought a nice little solitaire puzzle game on Steam called Hexcells Infinite which I also love to play when poker is boring me.

Hope these tips help! (they probably won't LOL)

Goku55

Goku55

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I never get bored

I have adhd and I have to focus completely when I’m playing poker especially in a big tournament. you always need to be on your A game that’s important. One time I lost my focus in a tournament trying to watch tv and I forgot for about 5 seconds the preflight action of the aggressor who put me all in when I was in a crucial stage of the tournament. And a completely avoidable mistake could have kept me in the running in a 2 million dollar prize pool tournament. Cash games are a little harder but if you feel like you’re losing focus I would say play micro cash games on a few tables and see if maybe adding a table or 2 will keep you busy without overwhelming you. Hope this helps

B

blata8ruga

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't find online poker as boring as you do but to get through the boring times I listen to music.

ringworm

ringworm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I usually have sports on the tv when I play poker, it's the perfect thing to prevent me from getting bored.

C

capo1014

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bored

When I am bored I take a nap then I wake up and start playing poker again. I am programmed to play poker everyday and night and I have no choice in the matter. How can one be bored who plays poker everyday. Let it be said let it be done. Capo1014

amatola

amatola

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
in the morning when i play a little micro/ freerolls - very much ABC poker - on a separate pc I play world of warships.

S

Snake2007

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In order not to get bored, I find different things to do. A little movement, a poker ....

Kinganders

Kinganders

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I just love playing poker, before I managed 3-4 tables , but have realized i play best with 2 tables open and tv sound in the background

T

Tomek416

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker helps to fight boredom. However I spend much more time on learning languages. I especially recommend Duolingo. It's a great tool to learn a foreign language. I am currently learning Spanish, Italian, French and Russian. I am also fluent in Polish.

S

Spheremaster

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you have a lot of money - Press all-in in each hand... and I promise you won't be bored :) have a nice day :)

shim36

shim36

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to listen music.
Perfect for calming the mind.