The Power of Position (Day 1 Course Discussion)

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks Collin i'll besure to give that a try later today, i was getting a little upset with my playing yesterday all though it could have just been a bad day of cards for me or a bit of both, i have been told you should not play poker when your mad is there any truth too this?

The Riff_Raff :cool:

A lot of truth! We talk about this much more coming up in the Mental Game day.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wow - I've been playing for quite some time, and never heard of relative position! It's a really interesting concept, and one I haven't heard of before. Makes total sense though!! Also checking knowing they will bet gives you good check raising opportunities to make your hand look strong to others. I'm very keen to give this a go next time I notice an aggressive player at my table!

I also like that this highlights the importance of watching how other players at your table are acting. It's good to be introduced to the idea (even passively) on day 1! This training program is looking good already :)

Awesome, thanks Mateo!

S

Showbizin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Day 1

The first thing I would like to say is thank you very much for this course! That is what I was looking for.
I knew about a position but the main thing that is new for me is a relative position. I think I used it sometimes but didn't know what it is exactly.
Thank you!:)

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The first thing I would like to say is thank you very much for this course! That is what I was looking for.
I knew about a position but the main thing that is new for me is a relative position. I think I used it sometimes but didn't know what it is exactly.
Thank you!:)

So glad to hear you’re enjoying it, thanks! :)

A

armadillo999

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Collin and Katie!

Thanks for the video.

However, I have a question which sometimes troubled me.

When we are on button or CO position and before us someone on UTG or UTG+1 raises with 3BB+, what should we do when we doesn't have best starting hand? Let's assume it's K10o or Q10o.

I'm asking because in every course it says about late position being looser. And sometimes I met people who raise in early position with premium hands and sometimes maniac who does not have anything.

FYI, I am still on NL2.

Definitely fold unless a premium hand, would be the norm.
But you can call suited connectors and hope for the best, IF you have a much larger stack, and the blinds are small relative to your stack.
Position gives you bluff options too.

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I just started playing poker, I was almost sure that I could not figure out the positions and the sequence of moves. But in practice, I quickly figured out and then did not betray the importance of the position's chila, at this stage of my development, I am absolutely sure that the strength of the position cannot be overestimated.

Herkstwin

Herkstwin

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I always find it useful to learn more about every aspect of the game. My game has a very heavy focus on position. Day one helped me reinforce and refocus my attention to position.

Aldorabe

Aldorabe

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It would be great if it is in Spanish since I have to translate everything, I will still take on the task of doing it because it is a very complete course

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I just finished Day 1 lesson (yeah, I just recently found out about this course) and I love the content :)

I knew the names for the positions, but the concept of relative position is something I've intuitively observed, yet didn't know there was a name for. Glad to be learning and I've only just started the course!

Also, I really enjoyed the way the material was presented. It was "professional" (with intended jokes to the humor about it), but I liked the casual manner it featured. I can tell Collin and Katie both had fun with this series.

I

ios

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
This is really a great #1 leason.

When we start playing poker somebody should warning us that position is crutial.

Even Doyle Brunson has said: " If I have position, I would'n even have to look at my cards".

:)

Try to search for "Anette Obrestad" - she not only said but won a poker tournament without looking at her cards. Just using position. Really impressive :)

carmenzu

carmenzu

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The video is very interesting, and very enjoyable. There are many players who play all cards in all positions.
The most difficult thing when we are a beginner, is to start playing real poker, it is when you decide that you have to fold cards like JT; QT, QJ, and others, in the early positions, at the beginning that was very difficult, after losing a lot, we ended up accepting that the positions are very important.

C

Coinuss

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like that the course begins with a description of the positions. I have not heard about the relative position, this is a good bonus.
In HeadsUp, I like to call the small blind a button, although it puts the small blind. I knew that a position is a force, but sometimes I want action and see only my cards, not thinking about a position. I will try to review my game and always look at the position in the first place. Thanks for this course, I read it a second time, and I will read it a few more times. (Naturally, watching the video, thanks to the playlist on YouTube).

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks guys, we're really appreciating all these nice words!

Coinuss yes, in HU the small blind and button are both good/correct terms for that same position.

JetmirDulja

JetmirDulja

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I know position is very helpful when you are playing a hand .But for me at least I haven't played many hands thinking about positioning. I call raise re-raise whenever I think I should and I don't care if that's a tell when you are out of position . I play aggressive poker guys .

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing aggressive is great Jetmir, but if you don't focus at all on position, you'll end up involved in too many pots making it more difficult to win. Position is a weapon, use it well!

D

dioor

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Position is almost as important as other things like chips and the flop!

Pokerishard

Pokerishard

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing with position on your opponents both reduces your risk and increases your chance at rewards. Help your own cause by playing more hands in position, and try not to help ypur opponents and play fewer from out of position. Just my oponion.

Max Diver

Max Diver

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing Poker vs opponents is like Sex. Position is KEY of success !
A lot of others things you have to consider but it is a great start.
Cheers,
M.D.

J

jorgetorres0

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker positions are extremely important when making decisions, you must evaluate who makes the first bet and then determine the strategy to follow.

L

link12347

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Just ended the day 1 of the course :)
Sometimes I get a little confused with the positions and need to look at the chart.