The Power of Position (Day 1 Course Discussion)

RVTR7777

RVTR7777

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Focused.

Great content, well explained, helped me a lot.
I'm learning, I hope I can put it into practice at the table.
I hope to face the sharks soon.
Good study to all.
:icon_stud

freddydr87

freddydr87

League Champion
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
very important leason,im a cash player so the possition in table is very simple UTG,MP,CO,BTN,SB and BB but when im playing MTT 8 or 9 players table it was a litle dificult for me to know the exact possition i was, now with Katie explination it gets all cristal clear.

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When someone asks me about the "value" of position, I like to tell them that any value we get from being in position is only achieved by taking action on the additional knowledge we receive. If we play passively when we are in position, we have no advantage and position now means very little.

When we see wider ranges proposed when in position, it is not because our QTs has more equity when we are in position. It means we may be able to actively play QTs when in position and be successful.

Do you guys agree with this?

F

fernando21

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you’re in position, that means you get to go last. When you’re out of position, you don’t know what’s going to happen behind you, you might get raised, you might get bluffed. A whole bunch of bad things could happen. So when you’re out of position, you want to keep your guard up.

veltins

veltins

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
JP
Chips
Just finished my Day1 - position , position , position. After I came back to poker after 4 years long break I went back to basic while playing .Means playing positions and pot odds. Thank you for giving me this course at the correct time to revisit it to see how much it is important . Position and aggression where you can see what whole table is doing before you act.

Thanks a lot CC

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When someone asks me about the "value" of position, I like to tell them that any value we get from being in position is only achieved by taking action on the additional knowledge we receive. If we play passively when we are in position, we have no advantage and position now means very little.

When we see wider ranges proposed when in position, it is not because our QTs has more equity when we are in position. It means we may be able to actively play QTs when in position and be successful.

Do you guys agree with this?

Yes that's exactly right NWPatriot. If you didn't adjust and take advantage of the information you had, you wouldn't be using your position effectively at all and couldn't open up ranges likes we recommend doing.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the nice words and congrats to everyone who's moved on to day 2 so far!

T

Tu Ng

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
wow. I just discovered these videos and I love them! The videos are short and to the point. Thank you so much for taking the time to make these.

N

natelearnspoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Already watched the first week of CC poker tutorials and really appreciate the walkthroughs. I’ve been reading through the 30 day guide as well to reinforce the learning from the videos.

My main takeaways from the video that I implement on a regular basis are: raising on the button is often a profitable play given position. I often couple a raise on the button with a c-bet to get most people to fold.

I also play pretty tight UTG, but sometimes I’ll raise 3x BB with garbage hands and then c-bet and that show of aggression does get folds too. Definitely not conventional, but I find it works if you play the board well.

king11682

king11682

Kimba
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I have just started the course day 1 about the position, I think that when I finish the 30 days it will help me a lot. It is time to sleep tomorrow I will continue with day 2.

diego farfan

diego farfan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BO
Chips
day one of the book is the foundation to be a good player how important is the position of the table and how to take advantage of it according to the value of the hand trying to make the majority of the opponents walk away and have a confrontation with the least number of opponents, the good thing would be that they mention in the book that this importance of qualifying fold is not the same in a tournament as in a freeroll

K

karmakoumas

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
relative position

In this lesson , i really appreciate the relative position concept.
i love playing tournament, and i think that relative position is a very important concept when you progress in a tournament.
Because you will be moved from one table to another, and you will find yourself with new players with different chips stack.
And i think that you have to consider always your position with the player with big chips stack in the table and maybe consider him like he was always sitting in the big blind position.

what's your opinion ?:icon_salu:icon_salu

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In this lesson , i really appreciate the relative position concept.
i love playing tournament, and i think that relative position is a very important concept when you progress in a tournament.
Because you will be moved from one table to another, and you will find yourself with new players with different chips stack.
And i think that you have to consider always your position with the player with big chips stack in the table and maybe consider him like he was always sitting in the big blind position.

what's your opinion ?:icon_salu:icon_salu

That’s an interesting idea! In general though, I find it can create problems to generalize players based on their stack size because we don’t really learn much about their play from the size of their stack alone. In the event that the big stack truly is rarely folding anything, then we’ll def need to make our adjustments then :)

PsychoVas

PsychoVas

What The Duck???
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Great starting topic. As Evan calls it, in "the triple threat" the most important is position. And relative position works magic. In tourneys especially. In cash, in my limited experience, a great money maker is the relatively late position of the BB Vs the SB in the battle of the blinds. Unless the SB has a monster, a call pre- and a raise post-flop takes the pot down.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
The last time I learned to memorize all the 9 planets in order, I used My Very Earthy Mother Just Served Us Nice Pie which stood for Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto.
S,B,U,U,M,L,H,C,B would be quite the 9 word sentence to figure out the seating positions.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Eberetta that's a good mnemonic device, we'll have to use that!

5KINGLEO5

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the course. Everything is accessible and understandable.

FF2586

FF2586

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
Hi!

Nice content and great lesson!
I read it first on the pdf then watched the video! Watching the video was like having a summary to what I read on the book!

The bonus concept of relative position is very helpful to understanding how to percieve one's self in hand with a key player! Good stuff for a 1st lesson!

Can't wait to get to the next lessons!

gl gl gl

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi!

Nice content and great lesson!
I read it first on the pdf then watched the video! Watching the video was like having a summary to what I read on the book!

The bonus concept of relative position is very helpful to understanding how to percieve one's self in hand with a key player! Good stuff for a 1st lesson!

Can't wait to get to the next lessons!

gl gl gl

So glad you’re enjoying both the ebook and videos—thank so much for letting us know!! [emoji4]

CadoARAJ

CadoARAJ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great course, watching it all.
I most liked that tip when we are at 3 players, and has a very agressive player at button and have other player at BB and you are at mid position, you are very well positioned, because you can check, wait for the raise of the button and see what the BB WILL do before you take your really action. Very wise.

R

Radokam8

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys,

Thank you for the 30 days Course, I really enjoy it and I am looking forward to go through all lessons to get an important knowledge to improve my poker game. Well done! :)

I would like to ask you a question. When playing 8-handed table. Is HJ to be considered as Middle Position or Late Position?

Thanks and GL at the tables!

W

wstclair777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just finished day 1, thanks for this course, I'm looking forward to the rest of the course. On to day two:)

belizebum

belizebum

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
Woohoo I found my motivation and started the course. Of course it was in between playing poker. Looking forward to learning more skills to take to the tables.
Position is power unless you are up against a calling station...you best have the nuts.

Thanks for the course.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi guys,

Thank you for the 30 days Course, I really enjoy it and I am looking forward to go through all lessons to get an important knowledge to improve my poker game. Well done! :)

I would like to ask you a question. When playing 8-handed table. Is HJ to be considered as Middle Position or Late Position?

Thanks and GL at the tables!

Thanks! And good question, I would call the HJ to be one of the middle positions at an 8-handed table (and probably at a 9-handed table as well).