The Power of Position (Day 1 Course Discussion)

cdvleach

cdvleach

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Relative position with a maniac.

Hi all.
Thanks for this course. I have been playing poker for a while, TAG, but am still a small loser. A lot of that had to do with my temperament. Making bad calls and raises even though I know that I am probably beaten. I am sure after Day 1 that there is still a lot that I have to learn. I usually end in the money in MTTs but I am usually eliminated shortly after the bubble has burst. I tend to play very conservatively as the bubble approaches. So. Thanks for this course.

Here's my question.

If you're in a MTT and cannot change tables or seats, how do you handle a maniac seated to your left? I have a fairly solid idea of what ranges to play in different positions. So as an example I am in the cutoff position, have AJ suited. Everyone folds around to me except a limper in MP. I raise 4BB and the maniac raises 12BB. I know that even if had AA his action would be the same. What range should I be playing if I am going to be seated there for a hundred hands?
Thank you for the advice.

armoko

armoko

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Before starting the course and finishing the day 1 I thought that I knew everything about positioning in poker but after finishing day 1 course I found out a CO position which I didn't know. Very helpful poker course even to learn and refresh your knowledges.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi all.
Thanks for this course. I have been playing poker for a while, TAG, but am still a small loser. A lot of that had to do with my temperament. Making bad calls and raises even though I know that I am probably beaten. I am sure after Day 1 that there is still a lot that I have to learn. I usually end in the money in MTTs but I am usually eliminated shortly after the bubble has burst. I tend to play very conservatively as the bubble approaches. So. Thanks for this course.

Here's my question.

If you're in a MTT and cannot change tables or seats, how do you handle a maniac seated to your left? I have a fairly solid idea of what ranges to play in different positions. So as an example I am in the cutoff position, have AJ suited. Everyone folds around to me except a limper in MP. I raise 4BB and the maniac raises 12BB. I know that even if had AA his action would be the same. What range should I be playing if I am going to be seated there for a hundred hands?
Thank you for the advice.

Thanks cdvleach! If you're in an MTT with a maniac to your left, then fold more often, and also be willing to take the hands you play further -- for example, be more inclined to reraise all-in with hands you'd otherwise fold because the maniac will be 3-betting you so wide.

With AJs, the answer depends on stack size. If the effective stack is 60bb or less, I'd probably shove. If it's deeper than that, I'm usually going to call. But I would almost never fold AJs against a maniac's reraise :)

Chalada12

Chalada12

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Day 1 completed , i just finished reading the lesson about day 1 about the power of position. i like this new thing in CC , i will definilty complete it all .

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I have found new strengths to my play since going through the 30 day course, I now raise more frequently in good positions and fold more hands I was likely to play before.
e.g. J Q and K J off suit always looked pretty and I played a lot of losing hands with these cards, now I fold especially to a raise.
I took part in my first Homegame on pokerstars only the other day and finished in the money, it would have been a little higher if I had not played one of these hands in wrong position and lost a huge pot,

Thanks to Colin and Katie and especially Cardschat.

bruno13xs

bruno13xs

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Very good this eBook. and on the first day I learned a lot from the power of your position. now just put it into practice and see if I can get the lessons and improve my game, thanks Collin and Katie

Last edited:
Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Day 1 completed , i just finished reading the lesson about day 1 about the power of position. i like this new thing in CC , i will definilty complete it all .
That's great! Hope you enjoy the rest of the course as well as you did Day One!
I have found new strengths to my play since going through the 30 day course, I now raise more frequently in good positions and fold more hands I was likely to play before.
e.g. J Q and K J off suit always looked pretty and I played a lot of losing hands with these cards, now I fold especially to a raise.
I took part in my first Homegame on Pokerstars only the other day and finished in the money, it would have been a little higher if I had not played one of these hands in wrong position and lost a huge pot,

Thanks to Colin and Katie and especially Cardschat.
Way to go! :)
Very good this eBook. and on the first day I learned a lot from the power of your position. now just put it into practice and see if I can get the lessons and improve my game, thanks Collin and Katie
That's awesome, best of luck!

Poma Lekain

Poma Lekain

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No matter how you call a position at the table, it will not become stronger or more successful.

HansWurst77

HansWurst77

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's great! Hope you enjoy the rest of the course as well as you did Day One!

Way to go! :)

That's awesome, best of luck!

I want to say THANKYOU to all the team, too. I used the new knowledge about position in a yesterdays cardschat-freeroll an finished 24/4000.

m_v_a

m_v_a

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"Knowledge increases the probability of winning at times!"

The course is worthy, the main conclusion that can be drawn from it: "Knowledge increases the probability of winning at times!"

Ivansito26

Ivansito26

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Like the pre flop, the position also counts as one of the very important tools in poker, although sometimes we do not give importance to the position, we must know that this influences a lot, many factors such as the big blind or the botton, are positions They are definitely aggressive when it comes to playing, because with a good AA pair being the big blind you have the decision to be aggressive and limp or take advantage of the opponents, but this topic as well as the pre flop must always be studied to the opponents .. this is an excellent topic, it is learned from the other members as they think

ZPfBTNanAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.54)]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.54)][/COLOR]

[/COLOR]

M

morthiman

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok, just finished day ONE, the thing is: Playing tight in early positions and loose on later makes sense on low buy in tourney.

But what about professional ones? Is it possible to take advantage of this and raise from the UTG with a Not so premium hand, and people will still believe its one because of the position?

Or this meta is old a no one is using it anymore?

BigDice75

BigDice75

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I appreciate a lot this beautiful course that I have finally started, not without some difficulty since I do not speak the English language. With the help of the Google translator I have started!!!
Regarding this first lesson, at tables of six players I am used to using the following position names: UTG, MP, CO, BU, SB and BB, although Katie's name seems more creative to me. The concept of relative position was very interesting to me, although I must go deeper into its use when playing.
Finally, I wonder if the position is the most important and the button is the best position on the table, why not open with any two cards, if all the players have folded?

Last edited:
Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ok, just finished day ONE, the thing is: Playing tight in early positions and loose on later makes sense on low buy in tourney.

But what about professional ones? Is it possible to take advantage of this and raise from the UTG with a Not so premium hand, and people will still believe its one because of the position?

Or this meta is old a no one is using it anymore?

Being tighter in early position and loser in later ones is a key strategy in every level of tournament buyin and is something I generally adhere to wether I’m playing a low stakes tourney or the wsop main event :)

That being said, there are times where I’ll move away from default ranges and open something normally outside of that opening range (like T9s UTG at a tight table, or when I have a tight image)—but there’s always a reason for doing that making it an exploitative adjustment and never a default.

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I appreciate a lot this beautiful course that I have finally started, not without some difficulty since I do not speak the English language. With the help of the Google translator I have started!!!
Regarding this first lesson, at tables of six players I am used to using the following position names: UTG, MP, CO, BU, SB and BB, although Katie's name seems more creative to me. The concept of relative position was very interesting to me, although I must go deeper into its use when playing.
Finally, I wonder if the position is the most important and the button is the best position on the table, why not open with any two cards, if all the players have folded?

Great job doing the course even with English not being your first language! [emoji4]

There are certainly situations where I will open any two cards on the button (in general that is when the blinds are playing too tightly/folding too many hands). But I do not recommend opening any two cards all the time on the button because the blinds are likely to play back at you too much to make it profitable to open any two cards. Also you open yourself up to a lot of reverse implied odds situations that can make for tricky post-flop scenarios even with your positional advantage. Hope this helps!

meagain00

meagain00

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Day #1 completed! I liked this opportunity a lot.

Position isn't new to me, but the term lojack I heard for the very first time here.

Because my English skill is only intermediate, I think captioned videos could help a little more. I have more difficulty listening and writting than reading. I'll do my best to move to the next lessons.

Thanks CC, Colin and Katie.

meagain00

zam220

zam220

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Position is one of the most important things to play in tournament poker! Thanks for the course!

Glaucopone

Glaucopone

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tell me your move...

In this topic Katie and Colin talked a lot about the correct way to describe a move, with that, they gave me a good idea to find out if the player is recreational or regular. Just ask to tell about a hand, if he doesn't mention the position and just say: - I had AK and the opponent was with QQ blah blah blah I already know that he is not a regular player.

Thanks Katie and Colin!

Popescu97

Popescu97

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
The position in poker it s very important specially in Tournament s.I have done all the course and now with the Position day 1 discussion I learn some interesting things.Thanks Collin and Katie! :);)

alienat3d

alienat3d

easy-going alien grinder
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sorry for coming late with this, but I want to make an acknowledgment to Katie and Collin for such an important fundamental and comprehensive course you've made for us and it's even for free! This is so cool and thanks so much to you and to Cardschat for bringing this to us! :congrats::icon_thum

It will change the minds of so many players on how you should be thinking about hands and playing more properly. Poker itself will become even tougher after that, no doubts. :)

Being "positional aware" is one of the key elements, that differs a good player from a bad one for sure. I'm looking in my HUD pretty often to check the Raise-First-In stats from different positions and when I see the numbers from UTG about the same as from CO/BU, then I'm sure it's a recreational player and "easy money", but when I see the numbers from the late pos. almost twice higher, I know it's a good reg and I'll be more cautious playing with him.

I've been already aware of "relative position", it's a very important point for sure! You can always use it for your profit, "working together" with the habit of loose-aggressive players of betting too often, esp. in multi-way pots, using the "sandwich-effect" and put much pressure on other players behind you, who call in with mediocre hands and not able to sustain this pressure of raise + check-reraise and leaving a lot of "dead money" to the pot. Very well explained and already some advanced stuff for the very first day! Just great! Really good job!
I definitely will accomplish the whole course soon! :cool:

K

koXhunter

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i just started using cardschat a few days now and this one of the best thing in the site i ll use ur guide to becomme a good talented poker player even tought that is not the reason why i play poker but i will read this guide

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sorry for coming late with this, but I want to make an acknowledgment to Katie and Collin for such an important fundamental and comprehensive course you've made for us and it's even for free! This is so cool and thanks so much to you and to Cardschat for bringing this to us! :congrats::icon_thum

It will change the minds of so many players on how you should be thinking about hands and playing more properly. Poker itself will become even tougher after that, no doubts. :)

Being "positional aware" is one of the key elements, that differs a good player from a bad one for sure. I'm looking in my HUD pretty often to check the Raise-First-In stats from different positions and when I see the numbers from UTG about the same as from CO/BU, then I'm sure it's a recreational player and "easy money", but when I see the numbers from the late pos. almost twice higher, I know it's a good reg and I'll be more cautious playing with him.

I've been already aware of "relative position", it's a very important point for sure! You can always use it for your profit, "working together" with the habit of loose-aggressive players of betting too often, esp. in multi-way pots, using the "sandwich-effect" and put much pressure on other players behind you, who call in with mediocre hands and not able to sustain this pressure of raise + check-reraise and leaving a lot of "dead money" to the pot. Very well explained and already some advanced stuff for the very first day! Just great! Really good job!
I definitely will accomplish the whole course soon! :cool:

Thanks Alienat3d! We're excited to hear from you as you continue with the course and appreciate the nice words. Great Doyle quote in your signature by the way :)

F

fireturtle19

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the info I actually learned to play a different style early

A

Anders1616

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Day 1. Completed.

It is very interesting to learn about position.