The Power of Position (Day 1 Course Discussion)

cferdi

cferdi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wow, I'm a bit late to the party, but only just discovered the course. Looks amazing! Day 1; whilst it seemed basic was already teaching me something new - relative position - something I've not come across before; and something very valuable as I often seem to have maniacs to my left and it drives me nuts. I will look at it very differently now :)

Thank you so much; looking forward to the rest of the course!

whiskers77

whiskers77

The art of purring
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
New month so it is a good occasion to start for me with your new course, I think. So you know, what I will do next month. going pro! :D

I just read the first lesson and watched the video. Very good and clear by the concept and lovely to hear you both Katie and Collin. :)
You both sound like a couple with much humour and it is nice, that you share both the interest in poker. I look forward to the course tomorrow.

Last edited:
M

M13A13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Position is very important for making pre-and post-flop action decisions.
The position of the button is possible to plan whether or not to use the bluff, and the others in the UTG agent can steal the chips.

M

mclaughlinph

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
where is this video is it on this website?

BentleyBoy

BentleyBoy

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi guys.

A new month and a new start towards poker training.

Have just watched the first video and read the first chapter of the book. A great approach by Collin and Katie using their inimitable style to explain the concept of position and its importance, and the importance of getting it right when you talk about it. I’m sure this we great advice to follow the rest of the course.

I particularly liked the point about relative position. A great concept that to me now has greater value than ever before because it has brought home t me just how important relatable position can be.

Looking forward to the rest of the course, just working out how best to do it to ensure I get it done. And make the most of it.

Thanks again

Damo

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks Damo, Whiskers, and Cferdi, these nice comments on the course really make us happy to see!

acidburnfx

acidburnfx

Senior apprentice
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It is a challenge to understand just for the audio for those who don't speak english and use it in a technical way. As we can see is that playing in a favorable position you begins to see how other players react to your actions, if applies fold, bet, or call before you. The phrase in poker, "position is power" makes a lot of sense. Now, when playing against an unknown opponent, it is not a good idea to create a very large pot with the highest pair and a good kicker without having a read on your opponent.

deyvsonflp

deyvsonflp

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First class done!
Really knowing how to take advantage of the position is essential in poker. At the beginning of my journey, I didn't know anything about position. I played only with what I had in my hand and nothing else. It really is a basic theme to later learn topics like steal, resteal, 3bet light, blindwar and etc.

magnetoak47

magnetoak47

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"The center of every poker story" This is very good to know a level of knowledge of a player by just talking to him about played hands. Also when someone is in my home and I'm playing and have to go to the bathroom or something else I ask them to tell what's happening, and most of the times people only say the two cards on my hands without say my position or if someone raise or 3 bet before and their position. Nice video! Going to watch the whole series! Congrats

U

ulugbek_one

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I like Day 1 , I use the 10 Player Table EP as SB, BB, UTG, and UTG+1, Middle Position as seats 5,6 and 7 , Late Position as HJ CO and Button.
9 Player table ; SB, BB, UTG, MP ,as UTG+1, seats 5and 6, LP as HJ, CO, and Button.

The biggest mistake is that we give up quickly. Sometimes, to get what you want, you just have to try one more time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is a challenge to understand just for the audio for those who don't speak english and use it in a technical way. As we can see is that playing in a favorable position you begins to see how other players react to your actions, if applies fold, bet, or call before you. The phrase in poker, "position is power" makes a lot of sense. Now, when playing against an unknown opponent, it is not a good idea to create a very large pot with the highest pair and a good kicker without having a read on your opponent.

I am constantly in awe of other people's mastery of foreign languages; it sounds like you're doing a great job. Perhaps it would help to focus on the ebook section of the course--that way you could utilize a electronic translator on the text? :)

First class done!
Really knowing how to take advantage of the position is essential in poker. At the beginning of my journey, I didn't know anything about position. I played only with what I had in my hand and nothing else. It really is a basic theme to later learn topics like steal, resteal, 3bet light, blindwar and etc.

Thanks! And we agree that position is paramount!

"The center of every poker story" This is very good to know a level of knowledge of a player by just talking to him about played hands. Also when someone is in my home and I'm playing and have to go to the bathroom or something else I ask them to tell what's happening, and most of the times people only say the two cards on my hands without say my position or if someone raise or 3 bet before and their position. Nice video! Going to watch the whole series! Congrats

You're totally right-- you can tell a lot about how experienced a player is by how they relay a hand history!

I like Day 1 , I use the 10 Player Table EP as SB, BB, UTG, and UTG+1, Middle Position as seats 5,6 and 7 , Late Position as HJ CO and Button.
9 Player table ; SB, BB, UTG, MP ,as UTG+1, seats 5and 6, LP as HJ, CO, and Button.

The biggest mistake is that we give up quickly. Sometimes, to get what you want, you just have to try one more time.

That's very true, it is easy to get discouraged in poker. One of the many life lessons hidden in the game of poker that I love is that it teaches me to focus on the long-term during those occasions when I happen to find myself in an unluckier time :)

redboy23

redboy23

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Day 1 - Chapter 1

A really nice chance to review table positions and reminding me to maximize late positions. I have been taking a stab at stealing those blinds very often lately and my aggression in those seats are paying off very nicely.

My bid take-away is to become more mindful of identifying the aggressor at the table and using this to my advantage. This is an area that I will be more mindful of going forward - my relative position.

In response to the video question, I would say;

Post flop with $1620 in the pot and 524 rainbow, Hero checks in BB, CO bets $648 followed by a shove of $3564 from the BTN and action back to Hero.

Kudos to Collin and Katie. I look forward to going all the way and improving my game.

riff_raff312

riff_raff312

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
The power of position is not working out for me I've tried it and it don't seem to work :confused:

The Riff_Raff :cool:

riff_raff312

riff_raff312

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Tell me dose this only work on 9 player tables I've been trying it out on 6 player table is this the difference :confused:

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks Redboy, we appreciate that!

Riff Raff, yes it does just make sure to get rid of the first three positions. For example, if you're second to act in 6-max, treat yourself as the hijack instead of UTG+1.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Both the section in the book and also the video for position are very nice and accurate. Position is very critical for opening a hand, because gives a big or small advantage against the other players, so it determines the outcome of the hand.

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for this course Colling and Katie, your videos and articles help me a lot to improve my game.
I particulaecause playing with position is a great advantage during the game.

Crash Burn

Crash Burn

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion, knowing how to play in position is essential ... Without that, a player will not go very far.

M

Mateo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow - I've been playing for quite some time, and never heard of relative position! It's a really interesting concept, and one I haven't heard of before. Makes total sense though!! Also checking knowing they will bet gives you good check raising opportunities to make your hand look strong to others. I'm very keen to give this a go next time I notice an aggressive player at my table!

I also like that this highlights the importance of watching how other players at your table are acting. It's good to be introduced to the idea (even passively) on day 1! This training program is looking good already :)

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Position is truly one of the most powerful things in poker, especially at a long table. Most of your preflop actions depend on your position. Love the position, respect the position. And let there be adequate opponents at your table who also understand this.

riff_raff312

riff_raff312

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Thanks Collin i'll besure to give that a try later today, i was getting a little upset with my playing yesterday all though it could have just been a bad day of cards for me or a bit of both, i have been told you should not play poker when your mad is there any truth too this?

Roobz75

Roobz75

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I have got some benefit from the position information. I'm now conscience of where I am seated around the table and try to remember to play my game accordingly.

makian

makian

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
very interesting the 1 day, exceptional content, analyzing a professional player playing I saw him fold hands 5 5 ... 3 3 ... out of position, but now I understand that it had nothing to do with his range but with his position the reason. his fold!

C

chattydb4567

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Position is better than any hand

I take position over any hand not in top 5 all day