What Percentage of Poker is Luck VS Skill

Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The skill is important. But no luck - the ability will not help.

subaru16162

subaru16162

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Luck is nice to have but skill is always going to be key!!!

gon4iypes

gon4iypes

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
"Luck" is indifferent...it doesn't know who you are...so in the long run everyone evens out. Obviously then a skilled player will have a big edge over someone who relies on luck alone

B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Boy, luck sure rules this chat. Based on experience I'd say it does rule. But to have a good game, good players at a stake with financial impact, the game turns more to skill. Best of luck

rodrigo1972

rodrigo1972

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
for me is 35%lucky and 65%skills

T

tonydosreis

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Some university afirmetted in poker 80% is skill, because mostly you can muck your hand and dont need prove that had the best hand for won. But 20% is lucky.
Your had habillite come make your adveseries fold

walluyo

walluyo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can learn and improv your skill, but not with luck

Z

zzOGzz

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck in poker is important. But the exact percentage can hardly be said. Usually unlucky.

N

Napkins420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is 90% luck in any giving session, in a years time luck should be 5% or less if you are making correct desisions

A

agriggy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends what you are playing, in the early stages of a freeroll it could be 80-20. Later it would be 60-40 and final table 40-60.

perrinperrua99

perrinperrua99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
75% strategy
20% mental strength
5% lucky

S

Sanya7713

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In one hand is 90% luck, 10% skill. At a distance all the way around.

K

koskesh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can have all the skill and experience anyone could possibly have and based on those skills and knowledge only play hands that have the most odds of winning but you can still get unlucky with that one outer that your opponent(s) needs to beat your hand. In my opinion luck is a much larger factor than skill.

n3rv

n3rv

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Over a lifetime, 95% skill.

Over a session, 55% skill.

elizeuof

elizeuof

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
how much more knowledge are involved, less luck will be necessary.

Try play without see your cards, it's hard?

Some pokerpro will win a lot of pots, why?

Poker is a game of minds, the cards some times don't make difference, you can lost AA for 72o in a allin preflop, but if you play and analyze the board and the villain, you can make a good lecture or induce him a fold better cards.

You will have no luck in a mtt a lot of time, but if you play concentrated all the game, you can fall and getup again.

In a mtt with one specific player, i was in allin with him at lest 3 times, i lost all, but had finish in the money, 6 place, my good lectures in some times was gives me a percent of possibility fails without lost all my chips.

N

Nano5722

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The more i play at pokerstars, the more i understand, that skill means nothing in poker. People always go all in with absolutely nothing and hit time after time.

Herkstwin

Herkstwin

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Luck vs Probability

Several threads ask for our opinions on luck and lucky hands.

Luck is often mentioned in situations where a great hand loses out to someone holding two cards that should never see the flop, or turn, or river.

In my opinion, it is not luck, but probability. The person who beats you with 4-2 off-suit beat the odds and defeated your AA. How often will that happen? 12 times out of 100. You get the other 88 times.

K

koskesh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The more i play at pokerstars, the more i understand, that skill means nothing in poker. People always go all in with absolutely nothing and hit time after time.

In online poker, specially at micro levels, people will do very unconventional plays that creates a negative perspective for some players who like to play the “normal/logical” way.

I think other than entertainment purposes, in general it’s best to just play live poker because at a live poker game you’d never have to worry about two players at your table Skyping etc and colluding to win pots. There are just way too many unknown risk factors involved in online poker that results in your poker skill/experience level being completely irrelevant.

Dim4ik555

Dim4ik555

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Skills plays an important role. 80%-skills, 20%-luck.

NoPlace4U

NoPlace4U

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me is 60% luck, 40% skill, doesn't matter how good you play luck will always be a factor.

R

raymondzav

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion is 60 90 60